Flyfishers

Spass

I’m new to my Sprinter van but not to flyfishing. After many summers of fishing and camping in Montana and Idaho this will be my first year doing it in a van. I would love to share ideas with other fly fishers for setting up the van for a fishing trip. I just put a rod rack in mine if anyone would like to see it I will post a pic. Tight lines...

Louie_B

I'm just finishing my build and space for my fly gear is definitely on this list.

Anyone ever mount a rod tube on the side? Putting it on the roof seems like it would be hard to get rods in and out.

Spass

I'm just finishing my build and space for my fly gear is definitely on this list.

Anyone ever mount a rod tube on the side? Putting it on the roof seems like it would be hard to get rods in and out.
I agree, putting rods on the roof is out of the question. I personally like rods inside the vehicle for protection And I don’t like exterior rod vaults either. i came up with this idea this weekend. I bought the thing with the idea of attaching it to the l track just below the ceiling. However, it wasn’t long enough to span across. So I attached it to the wall. I like it better because the rods are out of the way. I can lay a 13ft fully rigged Spey rod on the floor. These are 9 ft trout rods. 07110836-C622-4627-9B5F-5B732DDBE70C.jpeg

Louie_B

That's great! Unfortunately with my van layout I don't have enough continuous open area to get the rods inside - I also like to spey cast for steelhead so the long rod struggle is real!

Spass

That's great! Unfortunately with my van layout I don't have enough continuous open area to get the rods inside - I also like to spey cast for steelhead so the long rod struggle is real!
My previous fishing vehicle was a Chevy Tahoe. I had an interior rack for trout rods and a magnetic exterior rack for the Spey rods. I always break down and tube rods on travel days, but racks are nice when road fishing and camping. I don’t know of a way to carry a Spey rod on the outside of a high top van. So, if it can’t be laid fully assembled on the floor, it’s probably best to disassemble a strung up rod into two pieces and stow it in the van garage while driving to the next run. I miss that magnetic rack. I gave it to my favorite guide when I got the van...

Vailcomp

I agree, putting rods on the roof is out of the question. I personally like rods inside the vehicle for protection And I don’t like exterior rod vaults either. i came up with this idea this weekend. I bought the thing with the idea of attaching it to the l track just below the ceiling. However, it wasn’t long enough to span across. So I attached it to the wall. I like it better because the rods are out of the way. I can lay a 13ft fully rigged Spey rod on the floor. These are 9 ft trout rods. View attachment 175401
thanks Looks simple enough.

Arolikbow

I agree, putting rods on the roof is out of the question. I personally like rods inside the vehicle for protection And I don’t like exterior rod vaults either. i came up with this idea this weekend. I bought the thing with the idea of attaching it to the l track just below the ceiling. However, it wasn’t long enough to span across. So I attached it to the wall. I like it better because the rods are out of the way. I can lay a 13ft fully rigged Spey rod on the floor. These are 9 ft trout rods. View attachment 175401
I too have an Adventure Wagon interior and love your rod set up. Where did you get rod holder? Really Cool!!

Spass

I too have an Adventure Wagon interior and love your rod set up. Where did you get rod holder? Really Cool!!
I ordered it on Amazon For about $20. There are a couple other inexpensive ones I’m trying to see which one works best. I will post some pics later.

Matt Foley

Down by The River
I got this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/793602057/6-fishing-rod-holder-vertical-console?ref=yr_purchases

I'm mounting it on the ceiling of my 158. Speys should be no problem, my biggest is 13'6" - That's the only one that might be a tight fit.

Also building a raised/level floor area between the seats and behind the drivers seat. I have a 3rd seat back there making a dinette area so the extra couple of inches of height will help to meet your feet, especially sitting in the swiveled drivers seat and front passenger. I'll make it just deep enough to store rod tubes, and everything not in the rack will go under there.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Hi SPASS, been fly fishing all over the USA and Canada, unfortunately it can be expensive for out of Towner's as we Fly Fishermen will have to purchase licenses in every State and Province.

Just love the way one can take the Van to creeks, rivers, streams and camp just right on the water. We do park about 50 yards away from the waters so as not to create some environmental tire destructions from our aggressive tire set up.

Note: most of you will have some space behind the rear door where you could build some rack to hold your folded rods and reels. Currently sport 3 fly rods and one small spin casting rod. Wading stick, waders, boots, fly paraphernalia are all housed in a waterproof duffle bag atop the rack.

I am a catch/release fly fisherman.

Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:

lindenengineering

Reading this thread I confess I have never been an an angler, let alone a dry fly fisherman hoping to get a brace of trout!
BUT
As a boy not seemingly quite a teen, I was taken to the River Testcombe to learn the basics of dry fly fishing.
All in good intention I suppose looking back !
My instructors of the day were two middle-aged dry fly anglers of distinction who quickly lost patience with a boy who didn't follow the bloody rules.
So after a stiff bollocking , I spend the rest of the afternoon wandering about in the nearby fields and lolling about in the tall grass drinking ginger beer and enjoying my first wake up latent inner lusty call of a romantic kiss with a girl called Sheila who I hardly knew !

Since then of course now in the mists of time, and far away from an English summer of my youth on the River Test, the love of my life for 25 years is Linda from the panhandle of Idaho. Introduced to streams full of fish on a wonderful 2nd of July in Western Montana on the Blackfoot & try out this elusive skill of catching trainbows , cut throats & browns.
I suppose with a stretch of imagination it's not so far away from my native Gloucestershire and limestone rivers but no grayling in Montana .
https://fishingbreaks.co.uk//gloucestershire.htm .

Tight lines
Dennis

Last edited:

Top Bottom