Yosemite Tunnel Clearance

Anyone have input on tunnel clearance getting into Yosemite? I’ve a non lifted 2020 170 4x4 with a pair of Maxxfans. Am I going to have clearance issues? I am getting mixed information.
Thanks in advance.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Mixed info ?? all the road limits and current restrictions are clearly listed on the NPS Yosemite Park pages...
The shortest tunnel height INTO the Valley is 10'02"... leaving the Valley they are 13'06"
140 has a 12'10" height limit...
you need to know EXACTLY how tall your Van is and your fans may not be the same height

“When they say that a full size tour bus can stay in its' lane, that means that a bus which is about 12 feet 8 inches tall will have clearance room on the right side so it will not hit the top. The downward curve is gradual enough that the bus would have to be way far over on the right to hit the top.”

I am fishing for someone who has driven theirs in and says it is fine. If not then I will heed the posted restrictions...

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I've driven my HR 144 4x4 in several times... have spent a lot of time in Camp 4 (even tried some of the "airplane" buds in 77) and up in the Meadows (Tuolumne) in the Summer over the years....

Excellent!
Have you measured your exact height? Sorry for the 21 questions I just really don’t want to be all casual about it and tear up my van.
What tires are you running?

jjmcclure

2020 HR 144 4x4
Love Yosemite, and those tunnels are nostalgic - my family vacations when growing up. Love that @aksotar knows all the height specs. The question is, are they sandbagging a few inches in there with the max height requirements? I saw a truck get sardined the other day in my town, total carnage, felt bad for the driver.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
The first thing I did was measure my height when I completed my build... I run 285/70/17s in the Summer...
I have no idea if the NPS has sandbagged the heights, only that I knew my height and would fit...
Arch Rock is the place that I feel like I'm squeezing thru...

Attachments

jjmcclure

2020 HR 144 4x4
Oh yeah. And just curious, was that the Stanley tape measure or something else - because I do not always trust printed materials...

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I went to a wedding in Yosemite a few years ago. Buses took the attendees from the chapel to the Ahwahnee for the reception.
When we got off the bus under the covered area by the entrance, one of the buses got stuck on the overhead.
When I saw what had happened, I suggested to the bus driver that he ask the passengers to re-board, to gain the necessary clearance.
He refused. I do not know how they eventually got it loose, since I was busy with the reception.

Mendeleev34

I’ve driven the biggest RV you can rent from Cruise America through those tunnels and it’s absolutely no problem. That thing was 12’ tall for reference. The listed heights are measured near the very edge/curb of the tunnel which you’d only hit if you drifted to the right in the lane.

I’ve driven the biggest RV you can rent from Cruise America through those tunnels and it’s absolutely no problem. That thing was 12’ tall for reference. The listed heights are measured near the very edge/curb of the tunnel which you’d only hit if you drifted to the right in the lane.
You drive your van in there?
thanks for the input.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The road from the west towards Bryce Canyon has a similar scenic rock arch.
We camped near it in 2018 while they were repairing it.... a temporary road went around it, and they were putting what looked like a fake fiberglas (or Gunnite/shotcrete) "face" on the lower edges of both entrances (east and west).

1616557460781.png

--dick

Top Bottom