Chinese Diesel Air/ Glycol Heater paired w/ Isotemp Spa

Caseconversion

I am currently in the planning stage of converting my 2020 Sprinter 170. I have recently been trying to figure out the best path to take with my water heating and came across this Chinese Air/ Glycol Heater. I was wondering what people thought of this? Does anyone have experience with these? If they hold up, the price is incredible, even with shipping.

Secondly, I was thinking about pairing this with an Isotemp Spa. It seems like a pretty logical setup as i'm trying to avoid dealing with tying into the engine coolant and trying to minimize the use of electric heating (as with a Bosch).

Thanks for the input!

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
I personally wont go for it.
Because in summer, I will have to pump out hot air for hot water.

I went for diesel hydronic heater and tap into engine heat also. So summer time, I should have hot water when I stop for meal, I can also use the heater to warm up engine if needed. But most important is instant hot water, and heat from air heat exchange blower.

45Kevin

I got a cheap Chinese diesel heater, but for air, instead of the $x7 Webasto or Espar unit.
There is a facebook group for these heaters that has a lot of real life experience on it.
For me it was worth the gamble, and so far has paid off.

Caseconversion

I got a cheap Chinese diesel heater, but for air, instead of the $x7 Webasto or Espar unit.
There is a facebook group for these heaters that has a lot of real life experience on it.
For me it was worth the gamble, and so far has paid off.
Thanks for the advice, i'll check it out. Do you happen to have a link to the air heater you bought?

45Kevin

Thanks for the advice, i'll check it out. Do you happen to have a link to the air heater you bought?
This isn't the exact one but it looks identical.
Mine has no remote and a slightly different controller. I have the three button controller.

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
From the 3 winters i used the CDH, i wont go for the brand name. In my opinons and experience, they are reliable and works very well.

I think the key is setup, since they dont have much customer supports or technical support for DIYers. If setup/installed right, they are very good!

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
FWIW, tying into the engine coolant is a ten minute job. The hard part, if anything, is routing new coolant hoses down the firewall, along the transmission, and underneath the van. I say "hard" because really you're just adding a couple hoses and some securing clamps, while avoiding hot, chafe-y, sharp, heat sensitive, and/or moving parts.

If you tend to arrive and then camp in the same spot for days and days without driving, stick to your plan but get a diesel fired glycol heater such as the Espar D5, and plumb that to the isotemp.

If you move around frequently, just run engine coolant to the isotemp. You'll thank me later.

Last edited:

Top Bottom