Custom phone mount

Pharkas

I started with a ProClip base. I cut a piece of 1" x 1" " 1/8" aluminum angle to 2" long. I drilled two holes 1/8 diameter through the aluminum angle and the ProClip base. I then painted the aluminum angle with Plasti dip spray paint. Now using m3 bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts I attached the aluminum angle to the ProClip base. This mount will now allow any vent mounted phone holder in a IMHO perfect distance and location to the driver. I purchased two different vent phone mounts from Amazon and both work well with our OtterBox defender cases and unicorn beetle cases. I did not like the phone holders from ProClip since we have 4 drivers with different phones each with big protective cases. These adjustable vents mounts work great.

Dendisch

Great setup. I also have the proclip. I really like the base mount but their phone holder is not practical when there is more than one size or case style as you have pointed out. I will toss it soon and do something like you did. Thanks

Pharkas

also went with proclip... my wife never mounts her phone so it fits mine perfectly :)
I started out with a cup mount with a long adjustable shaft that I placed in the cupholder that is on top of the dash on the drivers side. I then bent the shaft down so the phone holder is just above the dash to the rear right of the steering wheel. I thought it was pretty spiffy, but my wife and older son hated it. They both complained that we have this nice big windshield and I go and place something that blocks part of their view. I would adjust it just right and then they would drive. I go in the van and find the mount in the glove box, or in a back seat! They both wanted a lower mount that is still in easy view while driving. I started designing a 3-d printed mount to snugly fit in the wallet cubby and then a forum member directed me to the Proclip base. Rock solid, tool-less mount. Love it, and so does the rest of the family. Happy wife, happy life.

Top Bottom