Replacing the brake light bulb

adsaxs

Hi,

I have a 2016 Serenity and need to replace the brake light bulb on the passenger side. However, nothing is as simple as it appears. I have cut and pasted the procedure from the Serenity owner’s manual (see attachment).

Step #2 states that you need to remove (3) screws. Actually there are (6) screws to be replaced.

Step #5 is where I could use some help. After removing the (3) screws from the side marker compartment I do not know how to take off the compartment. I tried shaking it and twisting the side marker compartment but it would not come off. I did not use a lot of force since I did not know what to expect. Am I to pry the compartment off with a screw driver?

Lastly, what is the replacement brake bulb number?

Thanks

Art

Attachments

hoosierrun

I've had to get to those bulbs on my 2016 Serenity. From inside the back storage compartment you remove three retaining nuts that attach to the studs which are molded into the light lens. Then the lens can be carefully pulled back. There is a foam gasket that is easily torn so try to preserve it if possible. I suspect it is only available from LTV. What I found after experiencing a number of mysterious bulb failures is that moisture in the lens causes corrosion on the bulb socket. The solution is to clean up the bulbs and socket contacts and put dielectric grease directly on the contacts and bulbs. Put the bulbs in and test before re-sealing. So far that has worked fine for me and no more light outages for the last 3 years. Note that the passenger side is easy. The driver's side is a bear because of the plumbing tubes. It is very tough to access one of the retaining nuts. A job that should only take a few minutes took me over a half hour and I ended up losing one of the nuts after dropping it. The studs are metric threads. Good luck!

hoosierrun

After reading your instruction sheet, There may have been some screws. It has been a long time and my memory is not great anymore. I'll take another look at mine tomorrow.

adsaxs

Hoosierrun,

Thanks for some great information. At least, I’m not crazy….

The light compartment cover was removed after removing the (6) – not (3) screws. OK, I then removed the three retaining nuts from the side marker compartment. At this point I would assume that I can remove the side marker compartment – some how. Nope Are there any other retaining screws that need to be removed? I really do not want to apply pressure to remove the side marker compartment especially since I do not know what to expect. Can I pry the side marker compartment off? Where would the logical spot be?

Once I finally get the side market compartment removed, how do you remove the bulb from its socket? Do I screw the bulb out, pull the bulb out, screw and pull them out?

Thanks

Art

hoosierrun

I know that mine were standard automotive bulbs that you push in and turn slightly. They are the bayonet type. Something like a 1157 bulb IIRC.

adsaxs

Hoosierrun,

One last question.

How do you remove the side marker compartment after the 3 retaining nuts has been removed? Are there more screws hiding? How much force should be used to remove the compartment? Is there some type of notch on the compartment to pry it off?

Thanks again….

Art

hoosierrun

I don't know if there is any difference between our 2016 Serenitys but I took a peak at mine (my back compartment is fully loaded so I couldn't see much). It looks like it was just a carpeted cover that came off with a couple of screws and then the retaining nuts for the lens. I believe I just got my fingers behind the edges and pulled. It was 3 years ago that I last got into one of those lights.

EDIT: I just looked online at the owners manual. There is a 2015 manual but not a 2016. If the pictures below are applicable, you may be able to change the bulbs without pulling the lens off and breaking the seal... at least maybe it is possible on the passenger side. a mirror might help to see since you can't stick your head in that compartment.2015 Serenity rear light.jpg

Last edited:

adsaxs

Hoosierrun,

I have already looked at the 2015 (I don't know why there isn't a 2016). The instructions are basically the same. Interesting that the first screen shot shows a "button" to push. My rig is similar to yours in that you must remove the (6) screws. Everything else is basically the same.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Art

Top Bottom