Deep snow.

klif01

Hey sprinter friends. Colorado has a pretty wild snowstorm predicted this weekend and I’m planning on parking the sprinter close to some mellow backcountry touring areas to take advantage of it. Curious what others experiences have been in potentially really deep snow. I don’t need to be or go anywhere quickly so I’m not concerned about road conditions and such/driving during the storm. I’m thinking and asking about functionality. One thing on my mind is the maxair fan. We run it to help keep that condensation down in the van. Anyone had any issues with weight, or with it open and running in deep snow?
My other thought is the espar heater and making sure that exhaust doesn’t just collect under the van. Probably means diggin out the exhaust area if the snow piles up that high. I have a co detector in the van so hopefully that alerts me if I don’t stay on top of it enough.
Cold wise, it’s not supposed to be below 20-30, I’ve had a couple nights below zero this winter and the van has done well. What other issues have y’all ran into?

65C02

We had a storm with deep heavy wet snow this season here. From what I've seen, the snow sheet which eventually slides/creeps down the forward facing slope of the roof is like a glacier - and is at odds with the health of the antenna stalk. Luckily I was able to give it a few wacks and straighten it back out. Next winter (if I remember) I will definitely unscrew it. Someone else on the forum recently had the same problem and wound up having to replace their bent mast.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

This is predicted to the heavy wet stuff !
Good for making snowmen,. but not the champagne quality snow Colorado is famous for!
Nevertheless like good boy scouts we have prepared two fine Styer Pingauers & two Landrovers for the movement of Sprinter vans from the house of Slytherins should they be needed !
Dennis

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
if you were camping in a tent you’d be getting up to knock snow off if it and away from the door in a big storm... same stuff should be done for your Van... if the snow is deeper than your vent then you should clear around it.. if it builds up around the Van sides then it can trap the Espar exhaust underneath... I’ve never had antenna problems from snow, I’d be more concerned about it leaking.. condensation will be bad unless you vent... the more snow you brush off yourselves and gear, the less water you’ll have inside... make sure you have enough fuel, your Espar stops working with a qtr tank left...

ENMeyer

Enjoy the snow! I had a thought about driving up to Nederland or somewhere to get in some skiing/snow shoeing, etc., but decided to stay home and shovel.

Top Bottom