Closing Assist, are you there?

Sprinter SS

I have a 2020 144 4x4 with soft close slider. If you gently slide it closed it will latch and pull the rear of the door in. The other identifying part is on the cargo side there is metal access panel that is removable with 4 phillips head screws to get to the motor. The motor is really just a moving strike plate. Its wierd too, the rear of the door does not fit as tight to the body as a regular slider door and the strike plate is at full inbound adjustment.

Anyway a decent low cost addition if you order a van.

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
...the other identifying part is on the cargo side there is metal access panel that is removable with 4 phillips head screws to get to the motor.
Good info.

I'll take my sliding door panel trim off and look, but what do you mean "on the cargo side"?

45Kevin

Good info.

I'll take my sliding door panel trim off and look, but what do you mean "on the cargo side"?
On the C pillar (at the rear end of the slider) there is an access hatch about 15" up the pillar off the floor.
You can see it just above the front of the water tank.

20201101_125753.jpg

RVBarry

Hi, can the door still be opened and closed if the motor fails?
I plan have a galley there, so it will not be readily accessible.
Thanks

Sprinter SS

If the motor were to fail in the closed position it would operate like a regular slider, if it failed in the open position you could still latch it however the rear/top of the door would be cracked open a 1".
I think it would fail likely in the closed position.

jmole

If the motor were to fail in the closed position it would operate like a regular slider, if it failed in the open position you could still latch it however the rear/top of the door would be cracked open a 1".
I think it would fail likely in the closed position.
You can disconnect the battery in either position and the door just acts like a normal door thats slightly harder to slam shut

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
A small update:

I posted another thread about usb ports not in my cubby and someone pointed me to the 2021 DOG (Dealer's Order Guide). Made for a good evening read. I scrolled down to the Crew Comfort Package and sure enough, only the comfort seat and headrests are listed. Nothing about assisted door close or two stage door. This jives with what some folks have said - the ordered their vans with this package and only got seats and headrests.

But then I stumbled across the 2020 DOG (my van is a 2020), and sure enough - the electronic assisted closing door and 2 stage opening are there in the package! So... it seems MB stopped listing the assist and 2 stage as options in the Crew package for 2021, but since my van is a 2020, built 20200604 (is that June 4th, or April 6th?) these features should be in my van because I ordered the crew comfort package.

So... that won't magically make them be there, and I don't think they are, but they should be.

Last edited:

VanGoSki

That's not the T50 Soft-Close option. At least not the one I have. You have to manually close the door all the way yourself and give it a gentle slam. The electric part only latches it so that you don't have to slam as hard. Plus, there is no latch on the door that the gal released to close it on my van. Perhaps that's the fully electric door.
Just to follow up to my own post. I had my Sprinter in for my first A service and they adjusted my Soft-Close option so my door opens and closes much easier now. I'm not sure it's as effortless as in the video that was posted, but it's a whole lot better now.

EPMD

That's not the T50 Soft-Close option. At least not the one I have. You have to manually close the door all the way yourself and give it a gentle slam. The electric part only latches it so that you don't have to slam as hard. Plus, there is no latch on the door that the gal released to close it on my van. Perhaps that's the fully electric door.
I think that latch she undoes is actually a separate option - T12 Sliding Door Two-Stage opening.

So in the video she has both T12 and T50 Electric closing assist right sliding door options.

Last edited:

scsa316

This is a great feature and it is too bad that it was not added to your van build Homeslice
Would someone be comfortable sharing the VIN of a van with the T50 (soft close option; not sure if that's too personal)? That way we could look up the part number associated with this option. Or the part number of the motor, if that is not too difficult. This would be a great feature to add to a van after the build.

RVBarry

FYIs, there are aftermarket versions of the T12 2-stage doorstop... It's just a notched bit of metal and an adhesive.

Timber NorCal

Hello, we have a 2020 4x4 with the motorized latching feature with slide step, not motorized closing, and I’ve made many requests to the service person to check it because I’d say 50% of the attempts to close it doesn’t latch. They always say they closed it and opened the door over twenty times and it works fine just like new for them. The service person makes it seem like it’s not a problem that the door doesn’t work for me. I am a very fit 70+ years and my attempts to close the door have a lot of force and I never know if will latch or not like throwing the dice. There is no accountability when it comes to the dealer dealing with manufacturing at Mercedes. They don’t want admit there is a problem, and you’re the only one on the planet that has the problem and that’s just one thing of many that is not working like I believe it should.

VanGoSki

Hello, we have a 2020 4x4 with the motorized latching feature with slide step, not motorized closing, and I’ve made many requests to the service person to check it because I’d say 50% of the attempts to close it doesn’t latch. They always say they closed it and opened the door over twenty times and it works fine just like new for them. The service person makes it seem like it’s not a problem that the door doesn’t work for me. I am a very fit 70+ years and my attempts to close the door have a lot of force and I never know if will latch or not like throwing the dice. There is no accountability when it comes to the dealer dealing with manufacturing at Mercedes. They don’t want admit there is a problem, and you’re the only one on the planet that has the problem and that’s just one thing of many that is not working like I believe it should.
Try another dealer. They're not all made alike, I can tell you from experience.

Top Bottom