All-terrain tyres and load rating - 4x4 VS30

johnct

I'm looking at getting all-terrain tyres for my 2019 4x4 MWB and have received conflicting advice from several tyre dealers.
Currently have the factory Contivan Contact 100s, 225/75 R16 121/120R.

Dealer 1 says the only 16" tyres available with a 121 load rating are 265/70 R16 (BFG T/A KO2) and they would fit fine. However I'd need wider rims. And it would increase diameter by 7.6% which means speedo would now read lower than I'm actually going!
Dealer 2 says I could get away with 115 load rating in a 235 width, but that 265 would protrude from the body. Otherwise nothing available in 121.
Dealer 3 says I need to stick with 121 and that nothing suitable is available.

The plate inside the front door gives max axle loads as 1860 kg (front), 2250 (rear), GVM 3550. The tyre placard gives tyre size as currently fitted i.e. 225/75 R16 121/120R

The manual has about 14 pages of tyres and tyre pressures. Based on those loads, it seems to allow for 235/65R 16C 115/113R, and some others less than 121. But it doesn't mention 245/70 R16 118R or various other sizes that look comparable. I assume from this that the manual just lists examples of tyre sizes / load ratings.

How do I know what load rating I need? What are the implications of using a lower load rating than current, say 115? Does anyone have experience using wider tyres, say 265 or thereabouts? Or any all-terrain tyres?

Can someone please help me make sense of all this?

Thanks

John

borabora

At the tire manufacturer's website there should be a load vs pressure table that lists the max load of a specific sized tire vs pressure. From that you should be able to figure out if a given tire can meet your max load requirements. But, that doesn't mean that a tire shop will install that tire if it has a lower load index than your current tire. Here in the US they probably would not. Also, if you go that way, you probably want to weigh your van to ensure that you are not overloaded and risk overloading the tires.

Aussie 2002 4x4

Hi John ... this is my understanding ... your rear axle max is 2250 kg - so per wheel its 1125 kg

Checking this load on a load rating table you could get away with 113

load-index-table.jpg

kayakkingoz

Mickey thompsons STZ cover load & speed ratings.
I have them on. Great 4 x4 tyres & hang on good in the wet

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
IIRC in VIC you arent allowed to put on a lower weight rating than appears on your placard (or maybe the stock options whrn new). So you are opening yourself up to insurance issues if you go below that.

In terms of width you cant put a 25mm wider tyre than the placard, and also not any thinner than the placard.

In a 4x4 you have some leeway I believe in terms of diameter +25mm or maybe +50mm. Its a grey area because its supposed to be only for a true off-road vehicle, whatever that is.

Last edited:

Aussie 2002 4x4

excerpts from

5.2.2.1.1. In the case of a vehicle fitted with tyres of the same type in single formation: at least equal to half of the technically permissible maximum axle mass for the most heavily loaded axle, as declared by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

5.2.2.3. The manufacturer shall provide in the vehicle owner's handbook, or by any other communication means in the vehicle the necessary information about replacement tyres load capacity.

Top Bottom