What I wish I had done different

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I have a complete sliding door handle but don’t know if the mounts are on the frame behind the pillar cover so I’ve never installed it… was there a punch out pattern on the back of the pillar cover and mounts on the frame ?
Yes, there are marks on the backside of the plastic for the two holes. The metal bracket fits in some indentations on the B pillar. Just make sure you have it oriented correctly as others have installed it upside down. A total of eight bolts/screws attach the metal bracket to the B pillar. I used #10 rivnuts.

ShakaSean

I have a 2019 VS30 4x4 and purchased the grab rail which comes with the 2 screws but I don’t have the bracket that in attaches to under the b pillar. Do you know where I can purchase one for my 2019 VS30? I saw that pelican parts has one but it may be for a 2018 and earlier models which may still work on the vs30s. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I have a 2019 VS30 4x4 and purchased the grab rail which comes with the 2 screws but I don’t have the bracket that in attaches to under the b pillar. Do you know where I can purchase one for my 2019 VS30? I saw that pelican parts has one but it may be for a 2018 and earlier models which may still work on the vs30s. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
My first thought is did you try a MB dealer?
Best Regards,
Cap’n Obvious ?

OffroadHamster

Wow! You are so smart, are you sure your not a rocket scientist?
There was a time when being a rocket scientist represented the pinnacle of engineering. Maybe not so much anymore...its no longer a nascent field.

I recently tinted my windshield with Stratos AirBlue 80. Its not really "tinted" although it has a slight blue tint to it. But the heat rejection from the film is unreal. Definitely a MUST DO for that huge piece of glass.

Oh - and converting a 3 person seat to a 2 person is the best space savings you can do if you dont require that middle seat. Completely transformed the usability of my van

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
There was a time when being a rocket scientist represented the pinnacle of engineering. Maybe not so much anymore...its no longer a nascent field.

I recently tinted my windshield with Stratos AirBlue 80. Its not really "tinted" although it has a slight blue tint to it. But the heat rejection from the film is unreal. Definitely a MUST DO for that huge piece of glass.

Oh - and converting a 3 person seat to a 2 person is the best space savings you can do if you dont require that middle seat. Completely transformed the usability of my van
Lol on the rocket scientist. Yes I have a 2 seat, definitely a space saver! Thanks for the tip on the Stratos AirBlue 80, have any install tips?

OffroadHamster

Lol on the rocket scientist. Yes I have a 2 seat, definitely a space saver! Thanks for the tip on the Stratos AirBlue 80, have any install tips?
Yeah, go to your local tint shop...because that windshield is HUGE, and a CNC knife cut piece of film and loads of practice are probably necessary to get it done right, lol.

3lud13

2003 Extra Long Van in Australia
1) Not locating the fridge closer to the slider door...underestimated how much going in and out by me and friends to grab drinks out of the fridge would be happening when hanging out outside and I have it pretty far back and kinda obstructed.
I really thought about this one for this build and decided the fridge must be accesable from both within the van and from outside and only solution I could come up with since wqe had a normal upright fridge was to install it infront of the door and put it on a turntable.
It has now limited the entry/exit part of the door to about 40cm as we have quite a large fridge but the fridge can be accessed from both inside and outside just by pulling out a drawer flipping up a piece of the benchtop and spinning the fridge around.
It took me many hours trying to work out how to do it with mountains of trial and error but finally found a lazy susan turntable rated at like 150kg at bunnings for like $15 and thats been holding up now for about 6 months

Top Bottom