2006 Sprinter with 200,900 miles - Hows its condition?

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
Finally get into the engine bay and start to get dirty with it...
As title said, I just bought this Van with 200,900 miles on it, 2 owners. 1st one is owned by fleet, 2nd owner started at 130K.
I recorded a few videos, specifically engine startup sound, revving to 1200rpm, blowby, and engine cover off, and I will love to hear what all of you experts think of the engine sound.

I also Scanned my Sprinter at startup, and recorded some actual live values, and want to ask if they looks good!
  • Right after engine started, Fuel Rail pressure at ~350bars, does it looks ok? I am having fuel leak at the fuel filter, I will be replacing it tomorrow if weather permits.
    1614828353386.png
  • My EGR ratio stay at 6% when idling 680rpm, and still 6% when I rev to 1724rpm... is this normal? my coolant temp not even 80F yet, is it because engine not warm up yet?
    1614828583266.png
  • What are these Pre-injection (492us) ? and Post-injection (794us) ? what is us unit??
    1614828776798.png1614828790711.png
My previous Sprinter was 168K miles when I bought it, and this one is 200+K... my first ever owned vehicle over 200K...
Want to make sure I am learning and doing what I needed to keep this Sprinter going another 100,000 miles!

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Engine sounds just like mine did, injectors look good, RPM is right, no blowby, I don't know about rest of datastream

Last edited:
It would be nice to see what the acceptable range is for each function of the scanner. The best I could do was write down the values I have and compare them to newer ones.

Fletch9871

gilee...Research EGR threads for the output stuck at 6%. I believe that can indicate a malfunctioning EGR.

Keep Rolling...Chris

99sport

6% EGR is EGR off - its fine. EGR only activates under certain conditions. Many vans without T21 never activate EGR (hence why CA requires the T21)

gilee

6% EGR is EGR off - its fine. EGR only activates under certain conditions. Many vans without T21 never activate EGR (hence why CA requires the T21)
Great to know! THANKS.
Next time I need to warm up my engine and go for a ride, I will read the EGR value again to see if it changes.
What is T21? I thought all USA diesel requires EGR (at least befor DPF)?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
What is T21?
Bedtime reading...

Sprinterair

Keep your eyes and ears on 200K miles EGR valve regardless existing engine running in excellence like your now. I had mine only 58K miles and it fail miserable as it never turn off itself until I recycle ignition key( without start) , if it happen you have parasitic problem. Call your Sprinter or Freight liner dealer with your VIN # to check if T21 recall performed yet.
PS : as per previous thread posted , I had both China copy cat EGR valve and OEM Wahler with result : Can't tell the different yet in performances but China EGR turn it self of in 10 second , Wahler is not ( pain in the but) but could be more reliable .

gilee

Read most of the T21 stuff... interesting recall.
So far my battery never drained, and I don't see that light is one when I get on the Van from the sliding door...
Guess my Sprinter is fine from this T21.

Top Bottom