Special tools for fan removal everybody should have some.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
A few weeks back I made a couple of special tools to make the high pressure pump R&R easier on my T1N, seeing as there are a few other people here that own T1Ns I figure there may be a few people interested in purchasing a set of these.

There are 2 tools, one that has an 8mm allen welded to the end of it and is bent to reach around the fan blade and another to hold the fan clutch while you loosen or tighten the 8mm that holds the fan onto the clutch.

Here is what Andy had to say about the tools in my "High pressure pump removal, How to" thread,

Nice job of documenting this procedure and clever tool making.

If I may add a few tips-

These homemade special tools are a useful addition to any '02-'06 Sprinter owners tool box. They will be invaluable when performing water pump replacement, belt tensioner replacement, idler pulley replacement, crankshaft harmonic balancer replacement, etc.

Here is a pic of the 2 tools,

With the bend in the 8mm allen tool there is plenty of room for both your hands to work each of the tools, I can post a youtube video if anyone is interested ;-)

How much interest is there in sets of these tools if I were to make some for sale?

ZED

Sprinter Newbie
The large bottom drawer in one of my roll aways is full of just such home made tools to make the job manageable when you just don't happen to have genuine MB/VW tool #204958098234988567928348290850387089475982

Living up here I wouldn't likely pay the shipping this far, but they would certainly be useful for someone closer. If I could drive down the street and pick up a set of those rather than making them myself, I would.

Good to see though. I'll have to put the construction of said tools on my todo list.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I ship other products I make to Canada pretty often and the cost is typically quite close to shipping in the states, but it does take a little longer to get there because of customs.

At any rate, I typically sell my products with shipping included in the price so I don't have to deal with shipping cost calculations and the back and forth e-mailing associated with that. I'm thinking $40 with the cost of shipping included for these.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Good to see though. I'll have to put the construction of said tools on my todo list.
For anyone that has the tools to make their own, it is a 1/2" hole that I drilled in the end of the clutch holder bar (the hook grabs one of the screws), I then cut the missing piece out with a grinder. Both of the bars are 15" long, 1/8"X1" steel.

Close up of the hook,

You can't leave it a full circle or it won't fit between the fan blade and the head of the screw.

Last edited:
if __ is the price including shipping i'll paypal you any time. let me know. going to do a fan clutch change out next week. jan 22. 10 i live in cali.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
blacksmoke said:
if __ is the price including shipping i'll paypal you any time. let me know. going to do a fan clutch change out next week. jan 22. 10 i live in cali.

I have a few sets of these ready to ship, I PM'd you paypal info :thumbup: EDIT: it looks like you have e-mail and PM blocked? Send me a PM?

I'll post up dimensions for the allen wrench tool tomorrow. Price is $40.

marquimarl

I was looking at my fan and noticed that one of the blades had a huge chunk of it missing.
I was on a 1,000 mile road trip and was worried that the imbalance would shake something loose sooner or later.
There was no way I could figure out how to get that fan off.
The front side of the radiator has an electric fan. Is that standard or is it an add on?
I was thinking with an electric fan I would not need to replace the broken fan.
How much would you charge for a set of those tools shipped to Las Vegas?

Last edited:

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I was looking at my fan and noticed that one of the blades had a huge chunk of it missing.
I was on a 1,000 mile road trip and was worried that the imbalance would shake something loose sooner or later.
There was no way I could figure out how to get that fan off.
The front side of the radiator has an electric fan. Is that standard or is it an add on?
I was thinking with an electric fan I would not need to replace the broken fan.
How much would you charge for a set of those tools shipped to Las Vegas?
What year is your van? There is no room for an electric fan on my T1N, sounds like you have an NCV3? I'm not sure if they have an 8mm allen to hold the fan blade on, can anyone confirm this?

The cost is $40 with the shipping included to anywhere in the US/Canada.

My 2003 also has an electric fan in front of the radiator in addition to the engine drive fan and fan clutch. The engine is labeled as a 612, but how do I know if it is a T1N or NCV3

Mike Stephenson

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
D'oh! I need to read more carefully, marquimarl also mentioned that his electric fan is in front of the radiator, I mistakenly though he meant the electric fan was on the back side of the radiator.

Here in north america the T1N's are 2002-2006 model year sprinters and the NCV3's are 2077 and newer.

marquimarl

2004 2.7 Tall and long Ten passenger.
I will take a set. Please email me with a pay pal request.

Anybody know why we have two fans?
We do hit over 110f 4 months or more during the year here.
(45c)

Last edited:

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
2004 2.7 Tall and long Ten passenger.
I will take a set. Please email me with a pay pal request.

[/quote]

Thanks, request sent :thumbup:

[QUOTE="marquimarl, post: 80566, member: 8623"]Anybody know why we have two fans?
We do hit over 110f 4 months or more during the year here.
(45c)[/QUOTE]

When towing up hill with AC on in hot temps for example I bet the belt driven fan can't keep things as cool as they should be so they threw on the additional elec fan.

Last edited:
The electric fan is mostly for the air conditioner condenser coil. I left mine idling for two days once and the dash air worked perfectly. The electric fan would cycle on and off as needed.

I will take a set of tools. Please send paypal instructions.
Mike Stephenson

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I will take a set of tools. Please send paypal instructions.
Mike Stephenson
Your profile is set up so that I can't send you an e-mail or a PM, you can change those setting in your profile, or post up your e-mail address here, although when posting e-mail addresses in "public" you can end up with a lot of spam in your inbox.

I'd like to bump this older post to say Thank You to Jack Bombay for these tools. They've been at the bottom of my tool box awaiting usage. Today I swapped the viscous portion of my fan. 20-25 min. job all said.

Top Bottom