!st jab/2nd jab reactions to Covid19 vaccine

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Curious how many feel pressured to take so-called “vaccine”, how many too be “hip”, and how many because BFF Becky got the stab?
For me, it's entirely "enlightened self-interest",
...with the cherry-on-top dash of "with high enough herd immunity, lock-down-type restrictions can lift, which will help the local (and global) economy" (which is another aspect of "self-interest").

Luddites refusing to join that "immunized herd" ain't helping.
They'll simply continue to be pushing the "new normal" further away from the "old normal".
(and blame it on someone else)

--dick (applying no pressure at all at all .... nope...)

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
1st shot hurt like hell, Better than someday being on a ventilator while my immune system tries to kill me
First shot of what? Pfizer, Moderna, AstaZeneca...?

--dick (gathering sparse statistics)

Bobnoxious

Note to self; stay in der DZ.
So
...with the cherry-on-top dash of "with high enough herd immunity, lock-down-type restrictions can lift, which will help the local (and global) economy" (which is another aspect of "self-interest").

They'll simply continue to be pushing the "new normal" further away from the "old normal".

--dick
My dear Dick, so you claim and assume. I advocate a time-tested approach of “natural” selection, allow the virus to run its course, weeding-out the infirm, most at the end of their shelf-life anyway.

Moreover, kindly produce valid scientific evidence supporting the lockdown approach were/are effective at preventing or slowing the spread?

Kindly answer why so-called leaders, such as Gavin Newsom and Pelosi didn’t seem concerned about wearing masks or congregating among family? Why mom and pop restaurants were forced to close but corporate big box stores allowed to remain open?

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Keeping with the First Dose/2nd Dose Title...

Feb. 21, 2021 CDC

COVID-19 Vaccinations in the United States
Overall US COVID-19 Vaccine Delivery and Administration; Maps, charts, and data provided by the CDC, updated daily by 8 pm ET†
Total Doses Delivered
Total Doses Administered
Number of People Receiving 1 or More Doses
Number of People Receiving 2 Doses
CDC |Data as of: Feb 21 2021 6:00am ET | Posted: Feb 21 2021 12:25PM ET

I find comfort in the fact that, at least up to now, people in the USA aren't falling like dominoes after getting vaccinated. It's a positive sign vs negative.

Earlier medical comments had my original post 1st dose "breathe easier" timetable at 12 days after the jab. Based upon this data...

Covid19VaccineIsrael.jpg

(I ass-u-me that the Moderna mRNA I received will have a similar timetable.)
I have since updated my calendar reminder to 14 days followed by 24 days. Although we will continue to be careful.

:cheers: vic

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
And... we know this data is valid and reliable how?
Because I happen to still trust the CDC.
I know that not everyone does. I'm free to have my beliefs, as they are free to have theirs.

This is the 1st/Jab 2nd Jab thread.
If you want to discuss the accuracy of the CDC data please start another thread. You can post a link to it here.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
And... we know this data is valid and reliable how?
Well, you could read the New England Journal of Medicine... ("better" numbers)

https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMc2036242?articleTools=true

It's a slight re-analysis of the efficacy data for Pfizer and Moderna
(the original paper (Polack et al. (Dec. 31)) they're talking about was this one: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577 )

In (very) short, 2 weeks after *one* dose of the vaccines shows:

One Pfizer dose, vaccine efficacy of 92.6% (based on FDA data)

One Moderna dose, vaccine efficacy of 92.1% (based on FDA data)

(that's efficacy against getting a severe infection or worse).
The "re-analysis" was to drop (ignore) the first 2 weeks after the shot (during which your body hasn't really revved up yet). Including the 1st 2 weeks dropped it to 52.4%

The antibody counts were still high 9 weeks later (when the study closed out)
The 2nd dose will (if it acts like most other vaccines) instill better long-term resistance, and brings the numbers up to 94% or better.

It was results like that that led/convinced the UK to shift to their current "give as many people as possible at least one dose ASAP!", instead of guaranteeing 2 doses per person on the short (21/28 day) timetable. 2nd dose for the UK is aiming at up to 12 weeks out.
(similar one-dose results for AstraZeneca vaccine)

Go get one, they're delightfully crunchy...

--dick :popcorn:

flman

Okay wait for it....... Red Herring cop out!

--dick (applying no pressure at all at all .... nope...)
Fauci is already talking about 2 more years of masks. The evil dwarf, concocted in Redmond WA, has fooled you again.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It may (or may not) surprise flman to be told that i'd already expected masking to become a fairly long-term "fact of life".
(oh, let's see ... i'm pretty sure i was being a "gloomy gus" about that back in June, if not March. Ask my wife.)

Now that (expected) variants are popping up, it only cements my opinion on that.
If adequate vaccination, social distancing, masking and ventilation happen ... along with contact-tracing and targeted isolation to allow isolation of new strains as they appear, then maybe things will "get better". But that hinges on keeping potential "escape" variants from spreading.

Yes, i've had 2 shots. But (gloomy gus speaks :professor:) i fully expect to need a tweaked booster for the new flavors by (or before) 2021's end.

I haven't done a whit of digging into the new California variant (yet). If it's a recombinant (as i think i've heard) then it ain't a "new kettle of fish", it's a trawler-full.

--dick

turbo911

It may (or may not) surprise flman to be told that i'd already expected masking to become a fairly long-term "fact of life".
(oh, let's see ... i'm pretty sure i was being a "gloomy gus" about that back in June, if not March. Ask my wife.)

Now that (expected) variants are popping up, it only cements my opinion on that.
If adequate vaccination, social distancing, masking and ventilation happen ... along with contact-tracing and targeted isolation to allow isolation of new strains as they appear, then maybe things will "get better". But that hinges on keeping potential "escape" variants from spreading.

Yes, i've had 2 shots. But (gloomy gus speaks :professor:) i fully expect to need a tweaked booster for the new flavors by (or before) 2021's end.

I haven't done a whit of digging into the new California variant (yet). If it's a recombinant (as i think i've heard) then it ain't a "new kettle of fish", it's a trawler-full.

--dick
yea get the 2nd shot and expect boosters for needed variants in the future

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder

--dick
Every flu season we are hit with variants of influenza virus. It is a fact of life that influenza virus mutates. It doesn't happen because the viruses are smart. It happens because the virus is somewhat unstable so variations happen within the mathematic reproductions. The stronger strains then take over from the existing less successful strains.

Herd immunity gives general protection, but even that isn't ever going to completely prevent at risk people who are susceptible to serious flu related illness from being infected. Herd immunity protects against rampant infections, not all infections. Even with herd immunity the at risk people need to take extra precautions. Just the same as with our annual flu seasons.

What happened to "Flatten the Curve" so that the medical services don't get overwhelmed? As a society we accept that herd immunity protects the general population, and not everyone. Statistics show that every year deaths rise during flu season. Some flu seasons there are even medical services which become overwhelmed in given areas. Those facts about our past flu seasons are accepted as reality.

The Covid-19 disease may never be completely eradicated. It may become another strain of virus which comes around every flu season. Of course every death is tragic, but not all deaths from diseases are avoidable. My fear is that if the goal becomes "Nobody dies from Covid-19" then our life and more importantly, our economy may never return to anything close to normal.

Of course we need to get through this bad time. We also need to be thinking about an exit strategy and not just how long that we can keep clamped down.

I do have hope. Even as bad as the 1918 H1N1 pandemic was, eventually life returned to normal. In the United States approx. 675,000 people died from the 1918 H1N1 flu. That was with 1/3 of the population we have now. Added: (And yet some in the media are declaring Covid-19 the "Worst Flu"... )

__________________ Year___________________________________________Population____________________________________Change________________________% Change
1920​
106,461,000​
1,947,000​
1.86%​
1919​
104,514,000​
1,306,000​
1.27%​
1918​
103,208,000​
(60,000)​
-0.06%​
1917​
103,268,000​
1,307,000​
1.28%​

Added2: Note that between the effects of WWI and the H1N1 Pandemic, an expected increased population of 1.3 million people for 1918 was wiped out.

At its worse, the Spanish flu infected 500 million people worldwide, which at the time was about a third of the Earth’s population. More than 50 million people died of the disease, with 675,000 in the U.S. There is some disagreement on that figure, with recent researchers suggesting it was about 17.4 million deaths, while others go as high as 100 million. Generally speaking, the fatality rate for the Spanish flu is calculated at about 2%.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Every flu season we are hit with variants of influenza virus. It is a fact of life that influenza virus mutates. It doesn't happen because the viruses are smart. It happens because the virus is somewhat unstable so variations happen within the mathematic reproductions. The stronger strains then take over from the existing less successful strains.

Herd immunity gives general protection, but even that isn't ever going to completely prevent at risk people who are susceptible to serious flu related illness from being infected. Herd immunity protects against rampant infections, not all infections. Even with herd immunity the at risk people need to take extra precautions. Just the same as with our annual flu seasons.

:2cents: vic

Coincidentally I ran into these videos this morning after posting the above yesterday. There are some medical professionals and politicians that have similar views to mine.

I watched this all the way through, but the early part of the video should be enough to at least get people to consider a different view vs extra long additional lockdowns.

The End Of The Pandemic (w/Dr. Monica Gandhi)

England plans for lifting restrictions

avanti

2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4
DW and I got our second Moderna shots this afternoon as scheduled. Nothing yet...
OK, here's the update:
--Sunday 2:00PM -- We both got Moderna shot #2
--Sunday bedtime -- nothing but the beginnings of sore arms.
--Monday AM -- only sore arms until about 11:00AM
--Monday 11:00AM -- we both started to feel flu-like symptoms: Chills, shaky, body aches. WIfe's arm was quite painful, mine was minimal.
--Monday Noon -- Symptoms progressed rapidly and we both felt moderately sick for the rest of the day. Went to bed in afternoon and crashed for an hour.
--Monday bedtime -- I was mostly recovered. slept very well. DW still feeling bad.
--Tuesday AM -- I am am feeling great. Wife still a bit under the weather.

Summary: Experience was very much like having the flu, but (a) not super severe and (b) progressed much more rapidly than the real flu.
I guess it worked.

icarus

30 hours on, mostly all good. Arm still a bit tender, small, insignificant headache, ad few lingering body aches, nothing to worry about.

Icarus

bladerunner

Curious...............does anybody of the above group have monthly blood tests due to existing medical conditions and will their doctor be able to discern if there is any change to their bodies blood/medical status after having been the recipient of the Covid vaccine??

Top Bottom