2012-2018 3500 Speed Sensor Recall

DeeRay

Attached dealer notice pertaining to rear wheel wheel sensors. In summary:
"one or more of the rear-wheel speed sensors may experience an electrical
failure, which potentially lead to a disablement of the ESP control unit functions. Other performance
issues might also be detected.
An authorized Mercedes-Benz or Freightliner Sprinter dealer will replace the rear-wheel speed sensors
against a variant with higher robustness against moisture intrusion."

Attachments

WinnieView1

A Fistful of settlement Dollars
The dealer I use stated the warranty is being extended, when the wheel sensor fails then they will replace them. That's a croc its a NHTSA safety recall. The NHSTA and MB recall campaign letter no. 2021020026 state to replace the wheel sensors.
Both statements are true, a 10-year warranty was created for the 2500 and 3500 chassis' in case of failure and a recall was created for the 3500 chassis' for which the new-design sensors will be installed when available from MB.

Solera2012

Does anybody know if MB will contact owners for the wheel sensor recall campaign. I see thks thread was started in February, and I for one having heard a thing. I brought it up in April during my AEM redo, but they, the dealer, gave me the "not official direction from MB" to authorize the swap out.

So, does anybody have the inside scoop on how this one is working it's way though the dealers (some do it, some dont) double talk?

WinnieView1

All we know is the recall is still Pending and until it goes Active they don't have the new parts available;

WinnieView1

I wish they'd hurry up. I have been waiting to have this program and the emissions thing done at the same time.
That was our plan back in March when we had the AEM done but even our SA hadn't heard of the recall replacement for the 3500's even though we received the notification letter in the mail in February. All he knew about was the 10-year extended warranty for Sprinter's announced even a few weeks earlier than that and tried to argue what the recall letter said that we handed him. Oh well, if the parts are not available we will have to wait until the recall goes Active and we will be one of the first. ;)

synergy_58

2009 Navion and 2015 Crew
Dealer told me they can only do MB or Freightliner badged units, so no Dodge badge units. Is this right? I had to pay for one replacement even though they had the notice in hand. Mine’s a 2009. WTF.

Uncle Albert

Thanks, y’all…on a trip in the motorhome today, both ESC, ABS and now Cruise Control idiot lights went off…the last time we experienced these occurrences was in Pensacola, FL and the MB Dealer replaced the wheel sensors so I am assuming this is the case again…have an appt. on Sept. 16 to take it in for NTSB recall on DEF…
question to y’all:
do I wait until to do both recalls or do I go in soonest to get wheel sensors done and then on the 16th do the DEF?

Uncle Albert

So based on the aforementioned replies, I should just go and get the WSS sensors replaced (with the old style sensors) when I return from traveling and do the DEF on the 16th

avanti

2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4
So based on the aforementioned replies, I should just go and get the WSS sensors replaced (with the old style sensors) when I return from traveling and do the DEF on the 16th
Well, just beware that a WSS failure sometimes progresses to a limp-mode situation. This has happened to me three separate times.

WinnieView1

Yes, and if a limp mode ensues as mentioned, stop, shut it down, start in back up, and move on.

avanti

2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4
if a limp mode ensues as mentioned, stop, shut it down, start in back up, and move on.
That did not work for any of my three incidents. Nor was I able to clear them using the Xentry clone that I always carry in this fine van. Fortunately (and somewhat miraculously), I was always close enough to a dealer to make it there. I think that the "turn it off and on" thing is likely a myth, deriving from the fact that a steering position sensor failure (which I have ALSO experienced) gives identical symptoms, but it CAN sometimes be cleared by a power cycle. People without proper scanners can't really tell the difference.

Top Bottom