Wiper arms Remove and Replace

alexk243

KulAdventure
Re: Wiper arms

I have mentioned this previously in another thread(s). This is only a suggestion to get your wipers working as an interim repair. You really, really want the wiper arm assembly splines to fail first. If they don't and the shaft/drive assembly fails, replacing the drive assembly is a much bigger repair/cost.

I have used a hairpin loop of stainless steel light gauge solid wire (seizing wire) to clamp into the spline assembly. I suppose picture hanging wire or any other light gauge wire will work.

What I did was insert the loop up into the wiper arm socket, place the socket over the wiper drive shaft while keeping the loop in place, and then tighten the nut down on the wiper arm. The theory is that the loop of wire forces the wiper arm over against the remnants of the spline and thereby locks it onto the shaft. It works well, so well that if your wipers jam again, the weak link is no longer the soft metal wiper arm spline. Instead the weak link is now the more expensive wiper motor drive assembly. That is why I deem it an interim fix. I have on occassion used this method as a permanent repair on vehicles near the end of their life cycle. FWIW. vic
What gauge wire do you use to do this quick fix? Thinking of doing that till I get back in town.

turbodave

Central Maine/Summer Somewhere Warm/Winter

It's currently $45 usd with free shipping following SRT's above link.
Dave

SeaDub

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I also recently stripped my passenger side wiper arm socket splines by turning on the wipers on a too cold morning, blades were frozen to the glass. I tried to follow SeaDawg's suggestion but couldn't find any aluminum cans (only bottled beer around here). So instead, I applied two wraps of aluminum foil (approx 2" x 3/8") to the wiper motor spindle then reattached the wiper arm. So far so good.

misterbond10

Normal, the wiper motor output shaft tends to slip in the aluminum wiper arm housing. If you look closely at the bottom of the windshield if its original it will have little black dashes where the wiper arm is supposed to sit. You'll need a two-arm gear puller to remove the wiper arms. Remember as one of the old-heads on this forum said they aren't for pushing snow of your windshield, make sure you're not doing that. You can be inventive and clamp a pair or vise grips onto the output shaft to add some grooving that'll help it not slip in the future, I think i did something like that but maybe not

alexk243

KulAdventure

Is this typically fixed with a new wiper arm or have people had to replace the whole assembly?

I got stranded with a loose wiper and bolting it down hard worked enough...

white whale

Removing the wiper arms

To adjust. Searched could not find. I can remove the locking nuts, only possible by lifting the hood unless I 've missed. You can't raise the arm if that is the next step. I did learn about the black windshield marks for proper alignment. Mine are sitting to low and want to adjust. I ,ve never had them off but they have done some snowplough duty in the past. I did tap and pry to no avail.

The sprinter service manual I had bookmarked seems to be dead for me, moved perhaps?

Thanks.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Re: Removing the wiper arms

with nut off, just pry from all possible angles after spraying wd40 where the nut was,
likely just corroded alloy on steel

my arm snapped from doing the full windshield plow, best to brush off first

Last edited:

Skippy and Emu

I had a new windscreen installed a couple of months ago. I elected to remove and re- install the wipers myself.
Removed the caps and the nuts, then soaked with WD40. I had purchased a cheap battery terminal puller to do the job. It worked perfectly for one, but there was not enough clearance with the bonnet to use on the other.
I ended up using a pair of slip joint pliers. Both wipers actually came off surprisingly easily, however they have never experienced snow or ice. Also, I had the feeling that the tapered knurled post that the wipers are mounted on, appeared to be made of stainless steel. There was no rust or corrosion in my case. Be very careful when removing the little rubber washer hoses from the plastic washer elbows. The aging plastic elbows become very brittle from UV exposure. I broke one removing the wipers, and previously broke the other whilst polishing the vehicle. They are not an easy part to source in Australia. By the way, the joy of owning a crystal clear new windscreen, only lasted a week before it was damaged by a rock thrown up by a passing car.

Attachments

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer

dont want to sound patronising, but just want to check that you noticed the cover at the base of the wiper arm and lifted it up to gain access the bolt underneath.

aside from that rust is the only issue. its a little easier with the bonnet open, but not important either way

white whale

These are very tough to remove, but ultimately got them off with alot of force. Passenger side I pushed the arm up til it slipped off the post. The drivers side has enough room to get a flat blade underneath from the top to pop this one off.
No corrosion on either side just a very tight seat. Wipers sitting correctly now.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
What is the purpose of this screw and the half-moon on its bottom?

For those who are ordering a new arm, note that they come with windshield wiper hose and nozzles.

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
It is not a screw but the bottom end of the nylon clip holding the washer tube in your last photo.

Keith.

As long as this thread has come back to life...

I installed an aftermarket linkage on the 2004. Werkin' fine to date.

Wiper Linkage Assembly Install

vic

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Get a stiff wire brush and clean up the teeth/splines until all of the old pot metal is gone,
I tried the wire brush with little success. I used instead a small screw driver to scrape out the old pot metal. Interestingly, the old pot metal pops off, not worn off. So wear eye protection!
Screenshot 2020-11-14 171211.jpg

Top Bottom