Extending Espar Heater Exhaust Pipe

hdaniels

I installed my Espar heater in the passenger seat base like a lot of people do. The one issue with this install that I do not like is the termination of the exhaust pipe. With the limit of 1.3 meters of the 24mm exhaust pipe, it does not make for a lot of options. Most installs I have seen, the exhaust pipe is either terminated under the passenger door or the slider door. Neither of these options appealed to me. Initially, I wanted to run the exhaust to the driver side but the fuel tank on that side and my future plans of installing a larger fuel tank did not make that a good option. So, the best I could come up with was to extend the exhaust pipe down the passenger side. With the longer exhaust pipe I decided to increase the exhaust piping to 30mm diameter so I don't increase the back pressure on the heater unit. Through my research I have read that longer then 1.3 meters of 24mm exhaust pipe will create more carbon build up which leads to more maintenance and if the back pressure is to great then the unit will not run. The extended exhaust pipe is built from: 24mm exhaust pipe coming off of the heater unit to 3/4" to 1" copper adapter, 1" copper union, 5' section of 1" copper pipe to 30mm exhaust pipe to 30mm exhaust muffler and then back to 30mm exhaust pipe with 30mm end cap. Copper parts were purchased at Home Depot and Espar parts are from Esparparts.com. The 24mm exhaust pipe does need to be stretched out very slightly so the 3/4" to 1" copper adapter fits inside the 24mm exhaust pipe. Adapter, union and copper pipe were soldered together. Ran the heater for a half hour, seems to run well without any issues.

Attachments

sanomechanic

impressive install. Any concerns with durability of the rigid to flexible unions over time with vibration etc?

Here is how my upfitter fitter installed mine. Not ideal but presumably safe?

I have a co detector but am mostly worried about ripping the exhaust off while off-road
That's VERY unsafe. The exhaust MUST emit the Carbon Dioxide away from the van, not underneath it. The way it is installed will trap the deadly gases under van and seep up into cabin area. Your up fitter needs to fix that big time. He also should remove that melted zip tie off of the exhaust pipe. Glad the guy doesn't work on my van.

Last edited:

hdaniels

DefyInertia - I am agreeing 100% with Sanomechanic, that is unsafe! There are numerous openings underneath your van where the exhaust will migrate from underneath into you living space and you will be poisoning yourself with CO. If that was a viable option we would all be taking the easy way out and venting our heaters that same way and this discussion would not be happening. Since that is not a safe option, we are here discussing the better possibilities. Unfortunately, it takes more time, more parts, and more $$$ to make it work safely. At the very least your exhaust should be vented past the pitch weld at the side of your van.

VanGoSki

That's VERY unsafe. The exhaust MUST emit the Carbon Dioxide away from the van, not underneath it. The way it is installed will trap the deadly gases under van and seep up into cabin area.
DefyInertia - I am agreeing 100% with Sanomechanic, that is unsafe! There are numerous openings underneath your van where the exhaust will migrate from underneath into you living space and you will be poisoning yourself with CO.
That's certainly one theory, but one I have consciously chosen to ignore. So say your goodbyes to me now, as I have my exhaust terminated under the van and intend to leave it that way.

WARNING: What I'm about to say is just my opinion and not a recommendation. This is a safety issue and one that each person should investigate and decide for themselves.

CO and air have almost almost exactly the same molecular weight. CO = 28.011 vs Air = 28.966. Contrast that with gases that are considered lighter than air like hydrogen = 4 or helium = 2. Those gases could be trapped under the van. However CO is going to mix instantly with air and be carried away with air currents before it finds its way into the van.

Also the Espar installation instructions say nothing about venting the exhaust away from the body. The one stipulation is that it be at least 20cm off the ground and end in open air. In fact, they explicitly say not to route the exhaust tip past the side of the body. If venting the exhaust under the body were really an issue, they'd have a warning about it like the numerous other warnings they have on exhaust routing.

So for me, this business of routing the exhaust outlet out from under the van is a mistake and probably does more harm than good because you've added at least one unnecessary bend in the pipe. Plus I can't stand the look of the exhaust pipe visible from the outside of the van. I think it's just asking for a vandal to kick it.

BTW, I just got back from a three-week cross-country trip across the northern US where I had my heater running the entire time (even when I wasn't in it) and my CO detector never budged from 0.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
That's certainly one theory, but one I have consciously chosen to ignore. So say your goodbyes to me now, as I have my exhaust terminated under the van and intend to leave it that way.

WARNING: What I'm about to say is just my opinion and not a recommendation. This is a safety issue and one that each person should investigate and decide for themselves.

CO and air have almost almost exactly the same molecular weight. CO = 28.011 vs Air = 28.966. Contrast that with gases that are considered lighter than air like hydrogen = 4 or helium = 2. Those gases could be trapped under the van. However CO is going to mix instantly with air and be carried away with air currents before it finds its way into the van.

Also the Espar installation instructions say nothing about venting the exhaust away from the body. The one stipulation is that it be at least 20cm off the ground and end in open air. In fact, they explicitly say not to route the exhaust tip past the side of the body. If venting the exhaust under the body were really an issue, they'd have a warning about it like the numerous other warnings they have on exhaust routing.

So for me, this business of routing the exhaust outlet out from under the van is a mistake and probably does more harm than good because you've added at least one unnecessary bend in the pipe. Plus I can't stand the look of the exhaust pipe visible from the outside of the van. I think it's just asking for a vandal to kick it.

BTW, I just got back from a three-week cross-country trip across the northern US where I had my heater running the entire time (even when I wasn't in it) and my CO detector never budged from 0.
I fully agree. If it is unsafe to plumb the exhaust under the van then somebody better inform Mercedes. They plumb their factory D5 exhaust pointing to the center of the van underside. I believe the exhaust exiting to the side is more of a hazard as it could burn a person’s leg if they were not aware of the hot exhaust. And who has open holes in their van floor?

By extending the exhaust more than Espar’s recommended minimum length you are increasing the likelihood of fouling due to increased back pressure.

And also, it is Carbon Monoxide not Carbon Dioxide.

8E9F1F68-1DA0-4E8D-9D57-0A424F6EE26B.jpeg378BA7BA-5774-4772-BBDF-A1F3D1B4F6E8.jpeg

DefyInertia

‘17 4x4 Moto Camping Van
My factory MB aux diesel heater exhaust does in fact also exit under the van like gltrimble mentioned. But the short period timer is a good point.

I wasn’t aware that everyone was routing their espar exhausts outfrom under their vans. Is that really the case?

with a 4x4 van on 33s there is quite a bit of airflow under the van. However, we still need to be very mindful of any sort of parking situation that could increase the odds of CO levels climbing in the van...and should keep the CO detector fresh! Speaking of which, I need to determine the best place to mount it. Right now I have it sitting in the cargo net attached to the back of the passenger seat. I might install two: one high and one low.

goldihop

People die all the time from sleeping in their cars while they are running. The espar probably produces far less CO than a running vehicle, but I would still rather have it exhaust away from where I’m sleeping. Not to mention diesel exhaust is a very well known carcinogen.

sanomechanic

Minute 9 of installation video from the Heatso website. States make sure the exhaust pipe extends past body to prevent exhaust gas build up in van.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Try and keep the path as level as possible. Anywhere the exhaust dips down and then up will be a point where condensation will collect. The Espar exhaust will rust out in about 2.5 years wherever a dip is formed.

This path is only possible on 2WDs due to the "4x4's" body lift, but you get the idea.

DefyInertia

‘17 4x4 Moto Camping Van
I did something similar to extend the exhaust to the drivers side by adding this extension on the far side of the muffler.

And I am already getting use out of those maxtrax ;)
what is your total exhaust length?Just wondering if you were able to stay under the 6.5’ limit.

Top Bottom