Talk me out of it - 2017 NCV3 2500 4x4 with roof mounted AC.

orafin

Am looking at buying a 2017 NCV3 2500 4x4 with roof mounted AC people carrier. What should I be aware of on testing the 4x4 system for proper function? Any thoughts about replacing some of the windows with MBZ sheet metal replacement panels as well as the barn door windows.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
What engine and mileage?.
Would that be 2.1l, that would make the van very sweet thing.
For my bus windows, I cut foam panels with R3 rating and stick them inside rubber frame.
I hate the rabbits hole efect some conversion create.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 4x4 was only offered with the 3.0 litre V6 Diesel engine.

Keith.
That is what I was afraid about.
V6 has couple of expensive maintenance items like oil cooler seals and intake gunk.
Still nice vehicle otherwise.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Am looking at buying a 2017 NCV3 2500 4x4 with roof mounted AC people carrier. What should I be aware of on testing the 4x4 system for proper function? Any thoughts about replacing some of the windows with MBZ sheet metal replacement panels as well as the barn door windows.
Drive it in 4x4 and make sure there are not any noises not present in 2wd.
If it has low range (Not all 4x4 do) do the same in 4lo.
There can be a bit of a learning curve getting it in and out. But as long as you don't hear anything strange while engaged, it is likely fine.

orafin

Mileage is about 70k. How does one observe visually (something on the dash or shifter) if the vehicle has both a high range and low range xfer case?

@Kajtek1 - can you elaborate on "oil cooler seals and intake gunk"? I can only imagine what this vehicle would cost new.

Thanx

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Mileage is about 70k. How does one observe visually (something on the dash or shifter) if the vehicle has both a high range and low range xfer case?

@Kajtek1 - can you elaborate on "oil cooler seals and intake gunk"? I can only imagine what this vehicle would cost new.

Thanx
There is lot about it on the net, so in short
when $7 oil cooler seals are cheap part, the access on V6 is so hard, that replacement takes 12 hr. Calculate shop charge for the job.
When all diesels get intake gunk, the OM642 has intake flaps, who are part of the engine management and when gunk freezes them, it creates whole list of troubles. Dealers don't clean the manifolds, only replace them generating nice bill.
70k is low mileage, so gunk should not be the issue yet, but check engine block for oil leaks. Oil cooler leaks goes to the valley and drain is on driver side front. Sometimes drain is clog and oil runs on the back.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I'd be more concerned with the roof mounted AC unit... lots of posts about leaking problems, etc... plus, it takes up valuable roof space....
insulate it well, you can get insulated window covers too as an option instead of covering the windows which would be a very costly job...
there's a high/low range button on the dash next to the 4wd button, that is if it has the hi/lo option...

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I had roof AC leak and found factory seal folded in rear corner.
Trying to think it over - my bus spend its life in Hawaii and San Diego, where 2nd AC is must and I assumed that previous, commercial owners never did worry about leak too much.
I was able to lift the unit without disconnecting the pipes and put neoprene caulking on it, following with caulking from the inner side.
Have not been in downpour with it yet, but small rain don't show inside so far.
It depends a lot where you are camping. In Las Vegas even 2 AC are barely doing the job.
Been to Alaska couple years ago with my truck camper and AC was dead weight.

lindenengineering

Yes I get it IN PRINCIUPAL
BUT
It (BBB) is largely effective on small to medium sized businesses like mine .When it comes to big corporations its clout is minimal at best.
The BBB won't take on High St banks & financial institutions including insurance companies .
A few years ago I had reason to take on Safety Kleen Corp, then a subsidiary of Laidlaw environmental
Without getting into too much detail, the BBB wouldn't even contemplate taking it any further . Their suggestion hire an attorney .
And as for a financial institution like 5th3rd Bank & their ultimate suggestion was simply refer your complaint to the Comptroller of the Currency.
They pick their battles as anyone should .
Dennis

lindenengineering

Sitting at this desk on this Sunday morning I have to ask & suggest let's go back to the start (like playing snakes & ladders) & ask what steps have you taken with a repair shop /franchise dealer to resolve the issue?
Can you confirm the problem arose during the warranty period and what was the dealer's response? (if it was applicable.)
Have you attempted to get an Independent shop to look at it & suggest a repair./fix resolution or has that already took place?
Dennis

van_bae

That is what I was afraid about.
V6 has couple of expensive maintenance items like oil cooler seals and intake gunk.
Still nice vehicle otherwise.
Good van, good option, but lets get you a 2022 order so that you can save money

lindenengineering

Well most vehicles without exception have a cost element to keep them running in maintenance and servicing .
I cannot see how an MB van manufactured in 2022 will be any different quite frankly.
Dennis

I love my 2017. Since it's a passenger van I had "ALL" the bells and whistles. When I first got it I thought I wouldn't use half of it, but I use all of it. Even the roof A/C during the summer. I've often thought about getting rid of it. I could add a roof mount, with cool roof box, big ole lights, and a bunch of other gas sucking wind blocks and have my mileage go to crap with a lot of noise. But I haven't done that yet. Is the one you're looking at a stock van or finished out? Really depends what it's got on it and if the PO's new how to take care of it.

Top Bottom