Wimp or Puss

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I crack my AMA side window. Turn on my MaxxFan. Post up.. Then tie off bag when done. Spray seat and bucket with Lysol. Toss in a trash bin. No Smell, No Mess, No Public toilets, No problem.
I have a strict diet that keeps my business solid so....All good there

Even better you can use the 5 Gallon Bucket for so many other things too
I like your Mini Poo idea. Never heard of that, but it arrives this Wednesday from Amazon! I have been using cedar shaving for a dog bed and kitty litter.
No room for a separate toilet. My 5-gallon bucket is for trash during the day and poo at night. I put pipe insulation around the top for a seat, then I line the bucket with multiple bags, like a dozen. Pull out the bag, tie off and you have a totally clean bucket for whatever.

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I just got back from a three week cross-country trip from CA to the northeast, and then returned west through the northern states. I have electricity and heat, but no running water, yet. I did scam a few showers at friend's places along the way. I use this toilet system which I recommend highly. https://www.amazon.com/Anywhere-Complete-Portable-Camping-Toilet/dp/B089KRLRV4

Temps were frequently below freezing and sometimes below 0F. I had my Espar D2 set at 67F the entire time, even when I wasn't in the van so it was always toasty warm when I came back to it. So basically the heater ran for three weeks straight, cycling on and off of course as it regulated heat. Loved every minute of the trip and could have stayed out there for the whole winter. I wouldn't trade my van for anything.

Here's an eagle on the Iowa river I photographed in low single-digit temps.

sanomechanic

I like your Mini Poo idea. Never heard of that, but it arrives this Wednesday from Amazon! I have been using cedar shaving for a dog bed and kitty litter.
No room for a separate toilet. My 5-gallon bucket is for trash during the day and poo at night. I put pipe insulation around the top for a seat, then I line the bucket with multiple bags, like a dozen. Pull out the bag, tie off and you have a totally clean bucket for whatever.
It snaps on the buck so it stays in place. The contour of the seat is quit comfy too. Almost like being at home. When using for fishing. The fish cannot jump out either

johnplyler

2020 4x4
It snaps on the buck so it stays in place. The contour of the seat is quit comfy too. Almost like being at home. When using for fishing. The fish cannot jump out either
Thanks, but I just don't like a toilet setting in my kitchen. Without the seat, it is a trash can for my potato peels.

VanGoSki

Look for the scoop in the container. On mine it was completely buried in the powder and I had to hunt around to fish it out. Just one scoop in your bag does the job. Once you've done your number in it, I like to shake the bag to get all the poop coated. That's not called out in the instructions, but it just makes sense to me. It handles urine too no problem.

sanomechanic

Yes, twice a day. Ever store a loaded poop bag in a hot van for a day or three? How would that work out for you?

And what do you do with your bag of shit? Dumping untreated human waste in public trash containers is just nasty and irresponsible. Or do you just toss it out in the wilderness or in the street?

It's really easy to treat your poo with the material I recommended (I have no affiliation) and be a responsible camper.
Tossing in a waste bin" not a recycle bin" is no where near as nasty as the tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of homeless crapping the streets and sidewalks every day. Been to San Francisco or DTLA lately.
And the millions of animals crapping. At lease it makes it to a controlled landfill.

VanGoSki

Tossing in a waste bin" not a recycle bin" is no where near as nasty as the tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of homeless crapping the streets and sidewalks every day. Been to San Francisco or DTLA lately.
And the millions of animals crapping. At lease it makes it to a controlled landfill.
PM your address. That way I can empty my honey bucket in your trash can. You won't mind, because of all those homeless people crapping on the street and all.

sanomechanic

PM your address. That way I can empty my honey bucket in your trash can. You won't mind, because of all those homeless people crapping on the street and all.
Long as its tied off and sealed in a bag. I'm good with it. Just don't stick in the recycle can. You can toss it in with all the dog poop I pick up from other peoples dogs.

Last edited:

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I am planning to incorporate a ready shovel at my back door, somehow hiden behind the wheel, ladder, or box so I can just bury mine. Every offroader should have a shovel anyway!

mtncrawler

I just got back from a three week cross-country trip from CA to the northeast, and then returned west through the northern states. I have electricity and heat, but no running water, yet. I did scam a few showers at friend's places along the way. I use this toilet system which I recommend highly. https://www.amazon.com/Anywhere-Complete-Portable-Camping-Toilet/dp/B089KRLRV4
Stupid question time ;) I assume these disposable bags that are used with this system are pretty much a "one and done" - use it - seal it up - dispose. Unless of course you keep the toilet setup then - can it be used more than once per bag? (Guess there are some variables here :)) Can't imagine you'd break down toilet to store and move on - then re-use the bag again.

I've used something similar for backcountry/wilderness camping and backpacking (I think we called them wag-bags.) just wondering if the use is similar/same.

I could certainly see the advantage of having such a system when when other options aren't available...

+1 on that photo by the way :thumbup:

VanGoSki

@mtncrawler Thanks, glad you liked the pic.

And yes, they are wag bags! Pretty much identical to the ones the rangers give you with your permits to climb certain mountains like Mt. Whitney. I have carried them for a full day of hiking in an outer pocket of my pack and they're amazingly sanitary and odor free.

And according to the manufacturer, they are multiple use. There's no need to keep the toilet set up. Just open the external zip-lock container, and untie the inner bag, stick it on your toilet or bucket and go in it. It's not gross because the gelling agent has already neutralized your previous usage. Now that I have a jar of poo-powder, I would toss in an extra scoop if I used it a second time. They tell you that you can use it several times, but I think twice would be my limit.

mtncrawler

@mtncrawler Thanks, glad you liked the pic.

And yes, they are wag bags! Pretty much identical to the ones the rangers give you with your permits to climb certain mountains like Mt. Whitney. I have carried them for a full day of hiking in an outer pocket of my pack and they're amazingly sanitary and odor free.

And according to the manufacturer, they are multiple use. There's no need to keep the toilet set up. Just open the external zip-lock container, and untie the inner bag, stick it on your toilet or bucket and go in it. It's not gross because the gelling agent has already neutralized your previous usage. Now that I have a jar of poo-powder, I would toss in an extra scoop if I used it a second time. They tell you that you can use it several times, but I think twice would be my limit.
Cool - thanks for the clarification VGS! They actually carry the system at my local REI (along with another 5G bucket type system/option) that I checked out today. Prices were the same as Amazon...actually the individual bags or a box of 12 turns out a few bucks cheaper...

VanGoSki

Cool - thanks for the clarification VGS! They actually carry the system at my local REI (along with another 5G bucket type system/option) that I checked out today. Prices were the same as Amazon...actually the individual bags or a box of 12 turns out a few bucks cheaper...
Same brand? I have discovered that all brands are not created equal. You can make your own easily enough too. A kitchen garbage can liner, a 1 gallon zip-lock, and a scoop of the poo powder.

mtncrawler

Same brand? I have discovered that all brands are not created equal. You can make your own easily enough too. A kitchen garbage can liner, a 1 gallon zip-lock, and a scoop of the poo powder.
Sorry, that wasn't clear. Yes, REI carries the same brand/system that you purchased via Amazon.

This is other system that REI sells based on the 5G bucket.

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I think that the article shows clearly that if you are wilfully ignorant about the things you require for comfort your life will not be optimally wonderful. He reaches the right conclusion, that van life is not for him, but I suspect that kind of an approach to life outside his mother's warm embrace might result in other disappointments.
Wow! I just laughed so hard I nearly choked!

Top Bottom