Wimp or Puss

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I see lot of people living in their cars in Las Vegas, where morning freeze happens every few years.
The guy busted the heater in winter conditions, did not have generator and tried to camp on streets without hookups.
Is he stupid, or troll? It takes total idiot to use gas cooktop for heat in small van. He is not saying about checking CO detector, but CO2 can kill you too.
We've been living in our Sprinter for a week. 2 of us and 3 small dogs, but for freezing nights I was getting spots with 30 amp electricity.
One 40F night without a hookup, I fired engine for the heat in the morning. My van has factory electric heater in dashboard. Even engine did not warmed above 134F, the electric heat did the trick. We have no propane in our conversion.

Last edited:

sanomechanic

My trips are all generally 5-15 day excursions. No complaints here and I'm in a 144 with no toilet. Just a Honey Bucket. I love the freedom of Van Life. When something does not work out as planned. Improvise and roll on to the next location

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
For me shower is very important. My 1st conversion is having 35 gallons of fresh water so we can shower for 3 days and dumping 20 gallons grey is the only issue. I can't fit on portapoty fitted into shower stall, so when I use it - wife is walking the dogs.
That is why I am building 2nd conversion with wet toilet and ample knee room, but took extended bus for the project.

odingrey

Seems like they had a couple things legitimately break, which would annoy me at like $200 a day rental costs. But more than half his issues stemmed from willful ignorance of basic mechanics, stuff he admitted to ignoring when the owner explained them.

That's pretty bad from an author who covers van life and tiny homes.

tinman

I think that the article shows clearly that if you are wilfully ignorant about the things you require for comfort your life will not be optimally wonderful. He reaches the right conclusion, that van life is not for him, but I suspect that kind of an approach to life outside his mother's warm embrace might result in other disappointments.

ECU

My first experience winter camping was to be the first at the ski slope with a Chevy delivery van. We froze, but had lots of beer. We were parked right by the front door at Timberline, but had such a hangover didn't hit the slopes until ten. That van had a 454 in it. You could watch the fuel gauge move.

Later in life, I had a Bigfoot Cabover. Designed for cold weather and on a 4x4 pickup. One morning I woke up to 7 degrees. Looking out the window, the condensation had frozen to the inside of the windows. But we were warm until the tank ran out of propane. I had a second tank but had to go outside to turn it on. That was the trip where I slipped on the ice and slid right up to the edge of the Grand Canyon.

My favorite was sharing a campsite with some friends. They pitched their tent next to the camper. That night it rained. In the morning I went out to check on them. I could see the tent in the middle of a puddle. Bodies stuck to the tent as they moved around. The kids slept on air mattresses that were floating in there. When the guy got out of the tent, there I was in my bathrobe and a cup of coffee. I offered a dry towel and a cup of coffee.

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 3500 Sprinter Tucson, AZ
I don't know how old he is but when I was in my 20's we spent weeks at a time in the West with a 2 door Oldsmobile and a tent and a toddler. Wonderful times, did not want for anything and enjoyed every minute, even the rain and cold at Lake Tahoe and snow in CO. The priority of course was beer and music. Not sure if I could do it today but I do camp in the back of my pickup with shell on the beach in Mexico, very comfortable even for me at 60+ now. Of course no cold weather.

glasseye

Van camping in the northeast in winter? What did he expect? :idunno:

VanGoSki

I just got back from a three week cross-country trip from CA to the northeast, and then returned west through the northern states. I have electricity and heat, but no running water, yet. I did scam a few showers at friend's places along the way. I use this toilet system which I recommend highly. https://www.amazon.com/Anywhere-Complete-Portable-Camping-Toilet/dp/B089KRLRV4

Temps were frequently below freezing and sometimes below 0F. I had my Espar D2 set at 67F the entire time, even when I wasn't in the van so it was always toasty warm when I came back to it. So basically the heater ran for three weeks straight, cycling on and off of course as it regulated heat. Loved every minute of the trip and could have stayed out there for the whole winter. I wouldn't trade my van for anything.

Here's an eagle on the Iowa river I photographed in low single-digit temps.

sanomechanic

Temps were frequently below freezing and sometimes below 0F. I had my Espar D2 set at 67F the entire time, even when I wasn't in the van so it was always toasty warm when I came back to it. So basically the heater ran for three weeks straight, cycling on and off of course as it regulated heat.
Same here. Post up in The Eastern Sierras for days at a time. Espar D2 in effect.

VanGoSki

Yeah, but that's gross. The bags that I use contain a sanitizing gelling agent that neutralizes the poop into a solid that doesn't smell and has a double-containment system that's biodegradable. I've literally had a few of these in my trash bag in the van and there are no smells whatsoever.

You can buy just the gelling agent and toss a scoop in your trash bag to effectively do the same thing. Then put that trash-bag in a gallon zip lock for extra containment and you effectively have the same thing but cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-Mini-Powder-Waste-Treatment/dp/B002AEHYP8

sanomechanic

Yeah, but that's gross. The bags that I use contain a sanitizing gelling agent that neutralizes the poop into a solid that doesn't smell and has a double-containment system that's biodegradable. I've literally had a few of these in my trash bag in the van and there are no smells whatsoever.

You can buy just the gelling agent and toss a scoop in your trash bag to effectively do the same thing. Then put that trash-bag in a gallon zip lock for extra containment and you effectively have the same thing but cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-Mini-Powder-Waste-Treatment/dp/B002AEHYP8
I crack my AMA side window. Turn on my MaxxFan. Post up.. Then tie off bag when done. Spray seat and bucket with Lysol. Toss in a trash bin. No Smell, No Mess, No Public toilets, No problem.
I have a strict diet that keeps my business solid so....All good there

Even better you can use the 5 Gallon Bucket for so many other things too

VanGoSki

Have you ever walked a dog?
Yes, twice a day. Ever store a loaded poop bag in a hot van for a day or three? How would that work out for you?

And what do you do with your bag of shit? Dumping untreated human waste in public trash containers is just nasty and irresponsible. Or do you just toss it out in the wilderness or in the street?

It's really easy to treat your poo with the material I recommended (I have no affiliation) and be a responsible camper.

Top Bottom