Your Irrational Unity Fears

Our Unity RV's are complex systems. Probably everyone has a secret fear. Mine is...

Every time I press the button to put the slide out I keep fearing it is going to drop out the side of the vehicle!

It always seems to push out just that little bit further... o_O

cbaarch

2016 Unity MB
Mine is the opposite - concerned that it will not slide back in and will have to disconnect the motor(s) to get it back in and of course that would likely happen when in the middle of nowhere.
We already made the mistake of not paying attention how the slide lock was installed. It swivelled and it got lodged in the space between the slide and the frame - 2 hrs later finally got it out so paying lots of attention now. A well stocked tool box came to the rescue on that one.

LUNITY

2016 LunityTB
Obviously NOT an irrational fear. Slides are just another system waiting to go bad. My first motorhome was a 40’ Beaver Monterray with FOUR slides. By the end of my ownership I had had the three hydraulic slide cylinders rebuilt and the electric bedroom slide wall leaked continuously.

Current TB has NO slides.

New TB on order has NO slides.

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
I think I had a (rational) fear of the slide before, based on internet reports. Over time that fear has receded. For one thing, our slides are small and lightweight, and less prone to failure than some.

Also, my Unity CB does not require the slide to be used to fully enjoy the coach, so if I have a slide malfunction (once I get it retracted) the journey can continue interrupted.

I carry a spare controller and motor.

I have watched numerous videos on slide repair including emergency operations by "hot-wiring" and/or "jogging" the motors if all else fails.

So at this point my slide fears have abated some. My fear is not that the slide will fail to retract in the middle of nowhere. I am fairly confident I will eventually be able to fix it. I'm more concerned that it will be in a non-boondocking situation where a camper is clamoring to get into my spot that I should have vacated hours before - and I'm unable to move due to slide problems.

geds

2018 Serenity
Obviously NOT an irrational fear. Slides are just another system waiting to go bad. My first motorhome was a 40’ Beaver Monterray with FOUR slides. By the end of my ownership I had had the three hydraulic slide cylinders rebuilt and the electric bedroom slide wall leaked continuously.

Current TB has NO slides.

New TB on order has NO slides.
We traded our Winnebago ERA C for an LTV Serenity for similar reasons. The slide ripped our flooring twice while under warranty. Air leaked around it. Dust and dirt that accumulated on the sides of the slide while out came inside the coach when it was closed (the awning only kept moisture and leaf debris on the top of the slide from entering the coach). We realized the slide was a maintenance issue that would hang over our heads and was not worth the worry and risk to us.

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
Good topic! Mine secret fear is having Mercedes Sprinter problems with an expired warrantee. It always hits me as I leave our driveway for a outing. WILL WE MAKE IT BACK WITHOUT A PROBLEM? Although I have some skills to handle small problems, some hand tools, and a scan tool, I fear that it it happen hundreds of miles from the nearest MB service center. Our Sprinters are also complex. The onboard systems are almost in control of your ability to return back to civilization, to a shop, or back home. Then it's a roll of the dice. Do they have the ability fix it, do they have the needed parts on hand, and how bad will the repair costs be?

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I don't think any of the worries we have might have with our Unity's is irrational or irrelevant. I've had enough things happen over the past 6 years to give me Unity Panophobia, the fear of everything to do with my Mercedes Sprinter Chassis/Leisure Unity!

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
No problems with the exception of my Truma (which has been replaced by Truma). I never think about the chassis except to get the oil changed at Jiffy Lube and the tires rotated at Robert's Tire. Dealer? I don't need no stinking dealer!

And no slide so scrape that off my list. I guess the only thing I do think about is the damn Dometic fridge but SS has about got me convinced to dump that in favor of the Isotherm.

We are very fortunate: our rig is stored in the big garage. When we want to go we are literally only a couple of hours from wheels up. I'm over worrying my rig right now thinking about the lithium/inverter/fridge upgrade but I've about got that thought out. That will be a late spring thing.

I should also mention that I did not have any problems with my Unity either. Coach or chassis. And frankly I figured there was enough worrying by all of you guys that I didn't really need to add any more so I didn't! I figured any break down could be solved with time and an exorbitant amount of $$$$ if it came to that. Time I have and $$$ I have so why stress? I know, I know ScareCrow: stuck in the sand next to the Salton Sea is no way to spend an evening! Oh, and I took my Unity to Jiffy Lube too. Dealer? I don't...

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
Once in a great while I have a dream about backing up, and ending headed over a huge cliff.

So far I have managed to wake up before the bottom of whatever imaginary gorge I must have been parked next to.

When I was about 14, and on my paper route, I watched a person back up a car down a long driveway. at the end, there was an 8 foot deep ditch. ( the driveway turned here and went back around the oher side of a set of skinny apartment buildings.) Somehow, after the long backwards drive, the brake and accelerator pedals were confused, and the headlights ended up pointing at the sky. Might have made an impression on me.

Top Bottom