O2 sensor at 2400 miles

sgbend77

So, I got the omb code P2196 ( O2 sensor) at only 2400 miles. Any tips or experiences. Still waiting to see if covered under warranty. Find it hard to believe and concerned this is a harbinger of things to come. 2020 4x4 2500

Thanks
Steve

It will be covered under warranty. There is such a thing as "infant mortality" with parts. Some parts just fail early in life.

Don't let anyone clear the DTC's. The dealership will need to see the DTC's to justify their warranty repair.

vic

sgbend77

It will be covered under warranty. There is such a thing as "infant mortality" with parts. Some parts just fail early in life.

Don't let anyone clear the DTC's. The dealership will need to see the DTC's to justify their warranty repair.

vic
Thanks Vic!

dajophlptt

sgbend
I have the same thing now. Can you tell what your results were. Might really help me out. Dealer (Indianapolis) wants two months.

sgbend77

sgbend
I have the same thing now. Can you tell what your results were. Might really help me out. Dealer (Indianapolis) wants two months.
First they replaced one of the O2 sensors. I picked it up from MB Seattle and 40 miles later the same code. This time they replaced the Mass Air Sensor. No problems since. At 26k now.
Hope this helps

Greg W

Jumping in late here, but just got solid check engine light and code P2196 while on a (rainy/snowy) trip in Sedona. 1100 miles on our ‘20 (was a late build from Field Van), it’s running fine with no excessive fuel consumption. Seems a common fault with these vintage diesel Sprinters. I'm 90m from home, an hour in the opposite direction from nearest dealer. Should I cut trip short and get home to avoid being stranded? How quickly does this common fault progress to affect engine operation and potential breakdown?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
AZ doesn't have good opinions about MB dealers and I had personal nightmare with the one in Flagstaff.
Can you clear the code and how fast it comes back? Driving with the code might put you into limp, or countdown mode, so you have some dilemma to think over.

sgbend77

Jumping in late here, but just got solid check engine light and code P2196 while on a (rainy/snowy) trip in Sedona. 1100 miles on our ‘20 (was a late build from Field Van), it’s running fine with no excessive fuel consumption. Seems a common fault with these vintage diesel Sprinters. I'm 90m from home, an hour in the opposite direction from nearest dealer. Should I cut trip short and get home to avoid being stranded? How quickly does this common fault progress to affect engine operation and potential breakdown?
Sorry for late reply. I got this code several times before it was fixed finally. I had to drive over 300 miles a couple times and got ok from MB Seattle.
Seems like I lost some power climbing hills one time. But if it is the same cause as mine, you should be fine.

Greg W

It drove home fine from Sedona, no excessive fuel consumption. I’ve got an appointment with Scottsdale MBenz, they seem familiar with the issue and haveO2 sensor if that’s what it is.

dajophlptt

My fix for this code was a new O2 sensor. Has been fine ever since no cel. I was ready for the MAS but did not need it.

Greg W

Dealer found my problem was a bad MAF sensor, replaced under warranty. They indicated a P3003xx code, not certain what that is for. Will pick it up tomorrow and ask them. Putting about 750 miles on it camping next week, so hope the other known gremlins stay away ?.

Top Bottom