Hose replacement suggestions 2006 3500

Trackball

Looks like almost all the hoses within my engine compartment are old and imo may need replacement. Seeing the high pressure fuel line to the fuel filter just failed these maybe right behind it. I added all the hoses I could find into my shopping cart and it was about 15-20 separate pieces for over $500. The cost doesn't both me as much as the pia it would be to do them all at once. Would you replace them all in at once or would you replace certain critical hoses and carry repair tape and replace as needed? Obviously looking for someone to talk me into the later.

Thanks

Attachments

99sport

Do you drive 5 miles or 3000 miles from home? How long are you planning to keep the van? If you lose a fuel line you are probably going to be stranded and need a tow (I know this from personal experience; I was lucky that mine failed 3 blocks from home but still needed a tow home). If it were me, I'd replace them all - and pull the cooling pack and replace all the cooling system hoses too.

Sprinterair

Critical hoses recommended
Cooling system : Upper-Lower Rad-Overflow reservoir if needed( Small hose connect to engine from reservoir)- aux pump hoses connect to EGR valve (OM647) -Heater hoses from engine to heater circulation pump ( Located on Pass side firewall). These hoses are hot it highly at risk to fail in future.
Turbo Hoses : From cool side to intercooler rad- Charge air intercooler ( Upper hose from intercooler to EGR intake.
PS : Replace lower turbo hose clamp from standard worm gear type to real turbo clamp ( It comes like semi snap and nylon locking nut) because the worm gear type clamp is keep loosing holding strength and hose pop out or loosing boost pressure.
Other hose you had show on picture #2 is just an turbo oil from engine to turbo is not necessary to replace but You make this call.
These may give you a long run with confident . Good luck

Chi D

Trackball

Thanks for the replies and the advice. It is a motor home so it is destined for long trips and mountain driving. After we purchased it over the summer and drove it 3 hours home we left it sit in our heated warehouse for a few months. The next time I pulled it out it was leaking diesel so we felt fortunate to make it home when we picked it up. I will order the hoses and get to work.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Those hoses that look cracked are probably not. At the factory they spray this clear/yellow corrosion prevention coating on the engine, and it sometimes gets on the hoses. For example your EGR hose.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Hoses made in the last 15 -20 years are pretty good quality. I typically don't start seeing failures in my personal vehicles until about 20 years old. There are exceptions, but typically due to areas with high ozone in the air. Phoenix for example, or someone who lives near a refinery.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Just a comment.
When servicing a cooling system @100,000 miles or about 5 to 7 years of use , repairing/overhauling/ replacing the engine the van get a full set of NEW hoses.
That is standard workshop practice .
I/We keep ten sets on the shelf for both T1N variants & NCV3 906's at any time.
I have seen too many engines "lost" ,including rebuild ones due to burst /ruptured hoses, causing almost instant overheated damage.
Dennis

The latter, replace critical hoses, carry spare parts and replace as needed. As mentioned above the factory corrosion coating makes the hoses look like they are cracked and in poor shape.

Top Bottom