Scantool Access

ben322

Scan tool Access

I thought I would start a thread for those with dealer scan tools to post for other members to contact should they need some non-dealer assistance. Please post location, which tools you have, skills and what kind of help they're willing to offer and under what conditions, (ie: compensation, time, etc). In the VW TDI community, they hold regional GTG's where members might get together for a BBQ while having small issue workshops. Some great vendors, (worldimpex & others), would hold annual meetings.

Personally, I'm looking someone in the DC Metro area who could turn off the DRL's in my '08.

Thanks!
Ben

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Re: Scan tool Access

I think we should change the subject line to "scan tool access."

That way we can include MB scan tools, DRB-III, DAD, Starscan/Starmobile/Witech.

Name: Jon

Resources: Scantool - StarMOBILE (NAFTA NCV3 only), 2007 (Dodge) Sprinter Service Manual

Method of contact: send a private message to me on Sprinter-Source

Skills:
  • I can talk you through a few things like changing air filters, oil+filter, fuel filter, transmission pan drain, drop and change of its filter.
  • I can get better NAFTA NCV3 DTCs and real time sensor readings with StarMOBILE than you can with a generic ODB scanner.
  • If you bought StarMOBILE, but you can't down load the last update, or if you want to use the WiTECH software, I can probably talk you through getting it updated. I can't help you with StarSCAN or DRB-III or DAD or MB scan tools.
When: Pre-scheduled weekends when I'm free, and/or over email

Boundaries: I'm not going to work on your Sprinter for you. That's not what I do. If you're stranded, do not try to reach me for emergency assistance. I have a day job and I'm not a professional.

-Jon

rb3232

I have a DAD in Bellingham, WA.... Don't know my rules yet..... RB3232 at Gmail Ross

Skills...... ? Almost none.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member

My DAD's in Seattle, squabbling with my ScanGauge for ownership of the OBD socket.

...and it turns out i have a neighbor one block away who's been doing "normal" servicing on his friend's Sprinter
(discovered by seeing said T1N Sprinter getting its brakes changed in his driveway)

rseymour at wolfenet.com
--dick

p.s. Ben? Too bad you're in the "other" Washington...
(and DADs don't speak to NCV3, but Jon's tool set does)

I have a DAD in N.F., NY.

I'll go with Jon's format and basic rules slightly modified to keep things consistent. My rules may change based upon real world experience.

Name: Vic

Resources:
DAD. Various electrical test equipment. Mechanic's tools. On-line access to manuals.

Method of contact:
send a private message to me on Sprinter-Source or aquaputtana AT Yahoo DOT com

Skills:

I am NOT up to speed with my DAD at all yet. It will be best to work under these basic conditions.

* For non-emergencies, you check with Doktor A and see if he has time to schedule and walk us through checking your vehicle using my DAD. Andy's cell: 412-366-6165 in Eastern USA Time Zone.

* You offer to pay him a consultation fee.

* You buy parts from him if they are needed and he can supply them.

* Andy really has been helpful so I want to make certain we deal with him fairly. Having him walk us through the DAD use will be a mutual learning experience (for US not him).

* If Doktor A isn't available I am still willing to do what I can, but as I said my DAD experience is limited.

* You should search the Sprinter-source forum for information about things like changing air filters, oil+filter, fuel filter, transmission pan drain, drop and change of its filter. If after that you have still have questions I'll help as I can.

* I can get better NAFTA T1N DTCs and real time sensor readings with the DAD than you can with a generic OBDII scanner. The DAD will not work with NCV3 Sprinters.

When: Pre-scheduled weekends when I'm free, evenings are a possibility. I will also help as able using e-mail and cell phone after initial PM or e-mail contacts.

Boundaries: Loosely quoting Jon... I'm not going to work on your Sprinter for you. That's not what I'm looking to do. If you're stranded, you may try to reach me for emergency assistance. I'll do what I can to help within reason. I have a day job and I'm not a professional mechanic (anymore). That said, again I'll help as I can within reason.

Last edited:

mackconsult

Please post location: Vancouver, WA (A suburb of Portland, OR)

Which tools you have: DAD, garage full of metric and SAE tools, T1N transmission dipstick, solidworks 3D cad package for designing of parts and mfg knowledge of how parts are made at manufacturers.

Skills: Mechanical Engineer who has worked on automobiles & diesel engines off and on over the last 25 years.
  • It started with my two years of working on commercial fishing boats, and being trained on diesels, hydraulics, pumping systems, and electrical systems.
  • Then my engineering degree from OSU were we worked on the analysis of both diesel and gas motors.
  • Then as an engineer at hyster (NMHG) I helped implement the 6 cyl cummins motor into a 36k forklift. Also at that time I purchased a ford pickup with the 7.3L diesel.
  • Since the early 80's I have sailed and worked on many different boats with all sorts of diesels and on board systems.
  • Currently working as an engineer designing small gear pumps for Audi diesels.
  • Both of my current vehicles are diesels and I do all of my own work on them. I installed the WVO kit myself with several modifications on my sprinter van.

I have my own consulting business on the side. Always willing to work for somebody at a fair and quoted rate.

chris in BC

Please post location: Vancouver, WA (A suburb of Portland, OR)

Which tools you have: DAD, garage full of metric and SAE tools, T1N transmission dipstick, solidworks 3D cad package for designing of parts and mfg knowledge of how parts are made at manufacturers.

Skills: Mechanical Engineer who has worked on automobiles & diesel engines off and on over the last 25 years.
  • It started with my two years of working on commercial fishing boats, and being trained on diesels, hydraulics, pumping systems, and electrical systems.
  • Then my engineering degree from OSU were we worked on the analysis of both diesel and gas motors.
  • Then as an engineer at hyster (NMHG) I helped implement the 6 cyl cummins motor into a 36k forklift. Also at that time I purchased a ford pickup with the 7.3L diesel.
  • Since the early 80's I have sailed and worked on many different boats with all sorts of diesels and on board systems.
  • Currently working as an engineer designing small gear pumps for Audi diesels.
  • Both of my current vehicles are diesels and I do all of my own work on them. I installed the WVO kit myself with several modifications on my sprinter van.

I have my own consulting business on the side. Always willing to work for somebody at a fair and quoted rate.

Hi

I read your profile, GREAT! I live in Abbotsford, BC. I thought I would intro myself as I am a sprinter owner witha second sprinter on the way from Fla-it's a RYDER used 2005 158 inch tall boy 2500. I will be selling my 2007 sadly! I was really interested in the WVO process, sooooooo how does it work and where did ya get the kit from?

Chris in BC
604 309 3225

twistyroad

I think we should change the subject line to "scan tool access."

That way we can include MB scan tools, DRB-III, DAD, Starscan/Starmobile/Witech.

Name: Jon

Resources: Scantool - StarMOBILE (NAFTA NCV3 only), 2007 (Dodge) Sprinter Service Manual

Skills:
  • I can talk you through a few things like changing air filters, oil+filter, fuel filter, transmission pan drain, drop and change of its filter.
  • I can get better NAFTA NCV3 DTCs and real time sensor readings with StarMOBILE than you can with a generic ODB scanner.
  • If you bought StarMOBILE, but you can't down load the last update, or if you want to use the WiTECH software, I can probably talk you through getting it updated. I can't help you with StarSCAN or DRB-III or DAD or MB scan tools.

Boundaries: I'm not going to work on your Sprinter for you. That's not what I do. If you're stranded, do not try to reach me for emergency assistance. I have a day job and I'm not a professional.

-Jon
My entry is the same as Jon's, with the following exceptions:

Name: Rock

Skills: I won't/can't provide the software load/update support that Jon offers.

Rock

cahaak

Name: Chris

Resources: Scantool - DAD and all the tools needed for basic maintainence - T1N

Method of contact: send a private message to me on Sprinter-Source, or a regular Email if you already have my contact.

Skills: I can run all of the basic DAD diagnosis on your T1N van for you to help you understand your problem. I can walk you through all of the basic maintainence procedures including all fluid and filter changes and a few other things. I could hold your hand for some of those, but you would need to bring the van to me or it would have to be the right situation. I can help you with the Espar mod to make it run with the van off or could supply you with some of the parts there, depends on the level of hand holding or help you would need. I have done all of these things myself on my van. Once you do most of these things, you will find that they are, in fact, quite easy to do yourself.

When: We would need to schedule it, probably on a weekend. If winter, then would need to find a place to be able to work in comfort.

Boundaries: I have seven kids, so time is a real priority for me. I would prefer not to work on your sprinter for you, but I could if you wanted to pay me and the time thing was not a problem. I can chat and provide direction to you no problem, but if it is going to be longer than 15 minutes or so, then I would like to be compensated for that time somehow and we can figure that out.

flman

I thought I would start a thread for those with dealer scan tools to post for other members to contact should they need some non-dealer assistance. Please post location, which tools you have, skills and what kind of help they're willing to offer and under what conditions, (ie: compensation, time, etc). In the VW TDI community, they hold regional GTG's where members might get together for a BBQ while having small issue workshops. Some great vendors, (worldimpex & others), would hold annual meetings.

Personally, I'm looking someone in the DC Metro area who could turn off the DRL's in my '08.

Thanks!
Ben
I can turn my DRLs off by using the buttons on the cluster, or turn them back on if I want. 2010 NCV3

flman

Name: Bob

Resources: Carsoft version 7 for T1N and limited NCV3

Boundaries: I am not an emergency service for Sprinter repairs, send me a PM and expect me to get back to you when I can.

i have a snap on scanner and can communicate with the sprinters. i use it at work all the time. i live in michigan and i have been tring to open a shop.

TheBenZo

Time = $
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/DASBenzDr/Dasnew.jpg

Name: Andrew

Resources: Scantool - STAR Diagnosis/DAS (Same unit used by MB dealer)

Method of contact: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=155186314491753

Skills : Key focus is the Mercedes-Benz Cars, can STAR Scan Mercedes-Benz brand Sprinter (►!NO DODGE! DIFFERENT COMMUNICATION TOOL PROTOCOL! YOUR SPRINTER MUST HAVE THE "BENZ" (STAR) ON THE FRONT GRILLE◄)

Access to EPC/WIS-net (dealer shop info)

When:Call approx 2 days in advance to schedule an appt.

╬DäS╬ Appointment number : (253)-254-5620

(please no info pump calls, I have info avail for a $donation (emailed)).

Boundaries: $55 for a STAR Scan (includes 1 hour labor) then $45 for a hour for labor.

Depends on the job needed. I mainly have the tools for the sports car/sedan section of MBZ, but can check to see if I can perform task needed.:thumbup:

▼ EXAMPLE OF STAR SCAN BELOW ▼

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/DASBenzDr/SDS1.jpg
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/DASBenzDr/SDS2.jpg
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/DASBenzDr/SDS3.jpg
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/DASBenzDr/SDS4.jpg
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/DASBenzDr/SDS5.jpg
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/DASBenzDr/SDS6.jpg
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/DASBenzDr/SDS7.jpg

If its a Mercedes Sprinter, bring it on over!

Last edited:

Colorado_Al

Name: Al

Location: Boulder, CO & St. Louis, MO (and points in between if you catch me on the right day)

Resources: Scantool - AutoEnginuity ST06 & Mercedes EI17 add on - Works on 02-11 T1N and NCV3 Sprinters and other MB from 1998 up.

Skills: Been wrenching on my own cars and motorcycles for over 20 years. That does not mean I'm good at it. I have experience with converting diesel vehicles to run on vegetable oil.

mackconsult

Have DAD in Portland/Vancouver area

PM me

Seeing as I am unemployed I would turn a wrench or two for some $$$

Last edited:
Dallas / Fort Worth, TX area.

Have the updated DAD.
We do all our own repairs and Service in our 6000 sq/ft building.

If I am available I will be happy to help anyone who is stranded.

PM or email me.

Ami-Sven

Last edited:

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Philadelphia, PA area
Have a DAD
I do all my own sprinter work (with guidance from the forum, of course :rad:)
Would love to meet other Sprinter owners in the area
Anything more than hanging out or 15 minutes of work and we'll have to figure out some sort of compensation- I have a day job and 6 kids- but I'm willing to help if I can.

Joel in Philly

Top Bottom