I upgraded my winnebago vita electrical and a/c

vita1

I purchased a 2020 winnebago vita in Jan 2020. It came with two 100 watt flexible solar panels a real noisy 3200 watt onan diesel generator and two lead acid 12v batteries with a wafco 50 amp converter. The first thing I did was have the dealer replace all of the roof vents with maxi fans with weather proof covers. We then replaced the lead acid batteries with three 200 amp 12v life blue lithium batteries. The next thing I did was replce the "winnebago high efficiency a/c" that would use up to 16 amps with one that has a soft start module and uses about 9 amps. I then installed a power factor corrected 3000 watt magnum hybird inverter/charger that can charge the batteries at 125 amps. The 200 watts of flexible solar was removed and replaced with 780 watts of standard solar panels running at 35 to 40 volts controlled by midnite classic 150 controller. I then purchased the quietest inverter generator I know of the honda 3000is. I placed it on a 2" hitch carrier behind the rv. The generator remains at low idle when running the a/c and is really quiet a short distance away. I then added a remote temperature sensor to the a/c so it could be controlled from where ever we are in the rv and the fan turns off with the compressor. We also added a curtain between the cab and coach area. I am also considering the dual alternator package.

WinnieView1

What will you do with the "3200 watt onan diesel generator" now that the "honda 3000is" has effectively replaced it while observing the OCCC of the RV?
The weight of the "780 watts of standard solar panels" should also considered.

vita1

I will end up with a 500 amp 24v battery bank. The on board generator will be used to charge the batteries through a 24v 4000 watt magnum hybird inverter/charger. The adjustable charger will be run at 22 amps at 120 volts during the day when I can make noise (the onan is more efficient than the honda). The largest cost is the batteries. The 200a life blue battery fit perfectly in the under step battery box. The a/c is a coleman 13500 btu power saver. We are working on ways to make the coach more thermally efficient. Currently the a/c should run about 5 to 6 hours on battery alone. With the hybird inverter I can add power from the generator and still keep it at idle to reduce the noise and run the for longer periods. When the a/c cycles the generator output remains the same and charges the batteries until the a/c starts again. It is a super fun system.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
I will end up with a 500 amp 24v battery bank. The on board generator will be used to charge the batteries through a 24v 4000 watt magnum hybird inverter/charger. The adjustable charger will be run at 22 amps at 120 volts during the day when I can make noise (the onan is more efficient than the honda). The largest cost is the batteries. The 200a life blue battery fit perfectly in the under step battery box. The a/c is a coleman 13500 btu power saver. We are working on ways to make the coach more thermally efficient. Currently the a/c should run about 5 to 6 hours on battery alone. With the hybird inverter I can add power from the generator and still keep it at idle to reduce the noise and run the for longer periods. When the a/c cycles the generator output remains the same and charges the batteries until the a/c starts again. It is a super fun system.
I did a lot of the same in my 2017 V24J. Installed 1100 watts PV, 3000 watt Victron Multiplus 3000/24 50-70 inverter/charger and 8000-10,000 watt/hrs battery 24 vdc (2 Tesla Modules) I hardly run my Onan 3600 propane. I would like to remove that 200#s.

What did your replace your roof top AC with or did you just add a soft start? The soft start only reduced your starting amps but not your running amps.

I still plan to replace my 3way Norcold 3150 refrigerator with an Isotherm CR195 (65 watt/hr) or CR219 (35 watt/hr). Also i am looking into replacing the sliding glass windows with double pane acrylic to better insulate the house. Considering a 8000watt Chinese diesel heater to heat the house, water locker and batteries.

vita1

Sounds like a great power system. I am keeping the diesel generator for daytime a/c and battery charging when I can make noise. I am not familar the the victron equipment. I used the magnum inverter/ charger because I can control generator speed and output amperage and that will control the noise on an inverter generator (I carry an inverter generator during the air conditioning season to run over nite when permitted). I can also control the battery charging from the generator or shore power. The charger is rated at 28 amps of 120vac input (I can reduce the charger output so I do not overload the generator) and it will charge the batteries at up 110 amps. The original a/c was replaced with a coleman 13500btu mach power saver a/c unit. The original a/c was rated at 16 amps, the power saver a/c is rated at 10 amps. a soft start was added to the power saver a/c before installation. The 6.5 cu/ft electric refrigator that came with vita only uses about 65 watts when running. Rather than replacing inefficient windows I am going to try covering them and their frames with a thermal blanket at night to reduce losses. During the seasons I do not need a/c I remove the inverter generator and rely on solar for the majority of our power needs. Hope this helps.....vita1

sled

Thanks for the write up. Was not aware of the Life Blue brand......did some checking and they look like a nice choice. Hopefully I'll be going Lithium Ion in the near future.

moto1

I purchased a 2020 winnebago vita in Jan 2020. It came with two 100 watt flexible solar panels a real noisy 3200 watt onan diesel generator and two lead acid 12v batteries with a wafco 50 amp converter. The first thing I did was have the dealer replace all of the roof vents with maxi fans with weather proof covers. We then replaced the lead acid batteries with three 200 amp 12v life blue lithium batteries. The next thing I did was replce the "winnebago high efficiency a/c" that would use up to 16 amps with one that has a soft start module and uses about 9 amps. I then installed a power factor corrected 3000 watt magnum hybird inverter/charger that can charge the batteries at 125 amps. The 200 watts of flexible solar was removed and replaced with 780 watts of standard solar panels running at 35 to 40 volts controlled by midnite classic 150 controller. I then purchased the quietest inverter generator I know of the honda 3000is. I placed it on a 2" hitch carrier behind the rv. The generator remains at low idle when running the a/c and is really quiet a short distance away. I then added a remote temperature sensor to the a/c so it could be controlled from where ever we are in the rv and the fan turns off with the compressor. We also added a curtain between the cab and coach area. I am also considering the dual alternator package.
How did you mount those solar panels to that roof

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Thanks to those of you that mentioned being sensitive to running your generators around others. Many of us that are enjoying the quiet of our campsite have it spoiled by a generator starting nearby. Also, the low frequencies produced by diesel generators travel for great distances.

• Thanks
Reactions: ECU

Top Bottom