(FOUND) Looking To Buy 118 WB Sprinter

sarl_cagan

2006 118" SHC in Portland, OR
Right here on the forums!

just gotta drive all the way across the country ?.

Right here on the forums!

just gotta drive all the way across the country ?.

Oh I would totally go across country for one of these. Thank you so much!!

Another update. No lie. I'm waiting to board my flight to the east coast to check out and hopefully pick up a 118 that has less than 100K miles on it for $7500... When the mechanic performing the purchase inspection calls me. Tells me there's very concerning amount of rust on the engine block that's only a short matter of time until I'm forking over big bucks for a new motor. I didn't get on the flight. Another failed attempt... maybe I'm being too picky with getting the right deal... hoping the shopping experience doesn't last much longer.

Found. The search is over.

I am stoked to finally say I own one of these bad boys.... @sarl_cagan seriously thank you so much for turning me onto the van that was in Attleboro, Mass. a couple of weeks ago. Thank you so so much to all of you guys that keep throwing posts my way, I would have never been able to find one of these if it weren't for you guys, and would have never known what a good deal looks like if I wouldn't have seen so many listings from you guys.

I was getting worried over the past two months that you guys would give up on me and stop sending me stuff haha...

The seller, Dan ( @Dango508 ) was this super cool, outstanding dude that was really accommodating. All of my previous failures to secure a good deal turned me into an uncomfortably aggressive bidder, I think I took Dan back...

I honestly was never looking to purchase an already built out Van, but the build job was fantastic, the van has low miles, and ultimately, the price was right. I'm so glad I held out for a good deal / got ghosted over and over by sellers. This thing is so sick... he kitted this thing out, gave me way more than I would have asked for, from magnetic nets for the front windows to solar and electric ready to go, plus a lift and sick tires! I can't believe I own this thing. So thankful.

Anyways, you guys are the best, I'm so thankful for this forum haha, thank you all again!

Attachments

Found. The search is over.

I am stoked to finally say I own one of these bad boys.... @sarl_cagan seriously thank you so much for turning me onto the van that was in Attleboro, Mass. a couple of weeks ago. Thank you so so much to all of you guys that keep throwing posts my way, I would have never been able to find one of these if it weren't for you guys, and would have never known what a good deal looks like if I wouldn't have seen so many listings from you guys.

I was getting worried over the past two months that you guys would give up on me and stop sending me stuff haha...

The seller, Dan ( @Dango508 ) was this super cool, outstanding dude that was really accommodating. All of my previous failures to secure a good deal turned me into an uncomfortably aggressive bidder, I think I took Dan back...

I honestly was never looking to purchase an already built out Van, but the build job was fantastic, the van has low miles, and ultimately, the price was right. I'm so glad I held out for a good deal / got ghosted over and over by sellers. This thing is so sick... he kitted this thing out, gave me way more than I would have asked for, from magnetic nets for the front windows to solar and electric ready to go, plus a lift and sick tires! I can't believe I own this thing. So thankful.

Anyways, you guys are the best, I'm so thankful for this forum haha, thank you all again!
Haha you can tell I'm already paranoid about someone stealing the spare tire so I temporarily put a bike lock on it and attached it to the rear door handle.

Oh, and, to top it off, she got a pretty good shake down and seems to have held up fine during my 3k mile trip back home. During the trip, this past Saturday, I drove with my brother-in-law through the Mojave on the hottest day ever recorded in the hottest desert on earth. The thermometer on the truck read 121degrees outside. Engine temps never dipped into the Red, even going up the baker grade outside of Vegas. I threw the hazards on and went slow with the trucks. Even in the shade, our phones overheated, but... thanks to Dan, there's a fridge on-board, so we stuck our phones in the fridge to cool them off hahaha. This process repeated throughout the day, probably 5 times haha.

sarl_cagan

2006 118" SHC in Portland, OR
@johnholway Excellent. Very glad it worked out and I truly hope it continues to do so. Sounds like a lovely cross country trip! Many years back a buddy and I had Delicas. We did some similar trips to Canada to pick them up. Sometimes the trips worked out and sometimes they didnt... but looking back, those trips we took to get those vans were some of the best adventures to date. These are just vans... but sometimes they facilitate the introduction to new people and some interesting (and heartbreaking) experiences.

I remember ~6 months ago when I saw my 118" on FB marketplace, I immediately though of you. I even had a reply to this thread half typed out to tell you about it (I'm not kidding). Then thought.. "waiiiiit a minute, maybe I'd like to pursue this one myself." I had convinced myself a 140" was going to be more practical, but also fall in the "less is more" camp. The existence of this forum and it's key players were the straw that broke the camels back and I went for it and got it. It was/is *a lot* of (relatively enjoyable) cleanup and I'm now chasing down a noisy diff. I am so thankful for the willingness of the folks on this forum to share information and help each other out.

I second @ECU 's request for some interior photos. Mine needs a decent amount of work still but as soon as I deem it "relatively reliable" and worthwhile... I'll be looking for inspiration for how to organize the small amount of interior space we have.

Last edited:
@johnholway Excellent. Very glad it worked out and I truly hope it continues to do so. Sounds like a lovely cross country trip! Many years back a buddy and I had Delicas. We did some similar trips to Canada to pick them up. Sometimes the trips worked out and sometimes they didnt... but looking back, those trips we took to get those vans were some of the best adventures to date. These are just vans... but sometimes they facilitate the introduction to new people and some interesting (and heartbreaking) experiences.

I remember ~6 months ago when I saw my 118" on FB marketplace, I immediately though of you. I even had a reply to this thread half typed out to tell you about it (I'm not kidding). Then thought.. "waiiiiit a minute, maybe I'd like to pursue this one myself." I had convinced myself a 140" was going to be more practical, but also fall in the "less is more" camp. The existence of this forum and it's key players were the straw that broke the camels back and I went for it and got it. It was/is *a lot* of (relatively enjoyable) cleanup and I'm now chasing down a noisy diff. I am so thankful for the willingness of the folks on this forum to share information and help each other out.

I second @ECU 's request for some interior photos. Mine needs a decent amount of work still but as soon as I deem it "relatively reliable" and worthwhile... I'll be looking for inspiration for how to organize the small amount of interior space we have.
No way! Well I'm glad you never sent it to me because I love mine :) haha. Yes will send pics! Can't wait to see what yours looks like. Oh wow fixing a differential, that sounds like loads of work. How rewarding it'll be when you figure it out!

RaderDude

I'm looking to buy a high roof 118. Cleaner / lower miles. Seems like there's nothing out there - anyone have a lead or know of one for sale now or in the near future?

Blacktrout

2004 118" in the blue variety Portland Oregon
wow, how many miles, and where did you get it!?
188,000 miles. Portland Oregon. I replied 11 minutes after posting. I still can't believe it's mine. Just got back from sos diagnostics today with some backup keys.

Top Bottom