How to clean vinyl flooring?

87seph

I just swapped my two-person co-driver bench in my 2016 NCV3 for a single captains chair. The seat and flooring came off a salvage vehicle, and the flooring is quite grimey. It's supposed to be that factory grey color, but looks effectively black right now.

What products can I use to effectively strip off the dirt and grime? It's already out of the van, so I can soak/scrub/spray etc and bring it to the local manual carwash for a final pressure washing.

Thanks,
Mike

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi, you could try hot water with Simple Green, or a stronger degreaser.

Last edited:

cbaarch

2016 Unity MB
I use a Dishwasher pod or the powder in real hot water and a scrub brush
and if there is grease I use Fantastic and let it soak for a few minutes before using paper towels to soak up the grease.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
x2 on Simple Green. Dishwashing detergents are very aggressive, so when they are good for heavy dirt, they might leave side effects on the hardware.
For vinyl protecting I use 303 formula, who also is pretty good cleaner.
It might make floor a bit slippery at first, but wiping it dry will get it back in order.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Curious - does anyone make a replacement/upgraded cabin floor? Or maybe a DIY option?
We have threads just about that.
If you are handy with table saw- the new technology vinyl planks are great material. They make floating floor, just like laminate flooring in houses.
My bus had factory floor, but even in the spots where it was still clean, I did not like the color.
New planks sure enhanced the cosmetics.

20200915_093512.jpg

87seph

We have threads just about that.
If you are handy with table saw- the new technology vinyl planks are great material. They make floating floor, just like laminate flooring in houses.
My bus had factory floor, but even in the spots where it was still clean, I did not like the color.
New planks sure enhanced the cosmetics.
How about the front of the Sprinter though? I haven’t seen anyone yet carry it from the back of the van into the cabin (driver/co-driver area).

With the swap from the double-bench to the single captain’s chair I have a bare metal and plastic space between both seats right now. In addition I have an RRE Smartfloor installed in the rear, and there’s a gap between the Smartfloor and the cabin seats I’d like to fill.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
My bus had floor heating duct between front seats, what makes some angle, but factory vinyl there is still in good shape.
Each project needs to be adjusted for your needs.
The vinyl planks are pretty flexible, so they will bend on sloping floor, but I experienced their interlocks are weak point.

I've had good success using Orange Hand Cleaner for many clean ups. Use it straight, not watered down. Works great on rust streaks. Even though it contains grit, to date it has yet to damage any paint which I've noticed. I've been using it on rust streaks for over a decade now.

vic

Top Bottom