3000 Watt Inverters

msmolow

2019 Unity CB / 2018 Chas
For those of us who have the High Pointe microwave / convection oven no load/idle/load sensing is unworkable. Every time the inverter turns itself on to listen the microwave restarts and beeps. For both the Victron and Magnum inverters their power save feature needs to be disabled or you'll have constant repeated beeping.

hein

Van Guru
Recall that watts/volts = amps so a 3000 watt inverter can draw in excess of 250A on the DC side. That is a lot of current that deserves a great deal of respect. Large (perhaps 4/0) cables, properly crimped lugs and hefty buss bars. Overloading cables and connections are a fire hazard.

All the best,
Hein

Retiree1

I have been also researching inverters for my Winnebago Navion, although 3000 watts is too big for my needs. I ran across a brand called Mean Well, which is made in Taiwan. My research indicates that they are a highly regarded company that makes a lot of industrial grade power supplies. Their DC to AC pure sine wave inverter line includes a TS series and TN series that range from about 400 watts to 3000 watts. If you look at their USA website (Meanwellusa.com) you can find a lot more information. Mean Well is not too well known in the RV industry from what I can tell, but apparently is popular in the marine industry. Their TN-3000 series inverter puts out 3000 watts, weighs around 30 pounds, and sells for under $1000 in the USA. There is a listing of US distributors on the their website (i.e., Digikey, Sager, Allied Electronics, etc.) and googling will provide some marine suppliers that sell them. There is also a youtube video (
) that provides a review and shows the high build quality. I attached a copy of the inverter spec sheet. I would be interested in anyone's experience with this brand since I am considering their 1500 watt model.

Attachments

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
I've had great luck with Outback, Samlex and Aims.

The magnum 2 or 3K(cant remember) I used kept shutting off under high but rated load.
I could never get the hybrid part working that was supposed to add a smaller gensets power to it.

Here my last outback install.

LHNQ5702.jpeg

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
For those of us who have the High Pointe microwave / convection oven no load/idle/load sensing is unworkable. Every time the inverter turns itself on to listen the microwave restarts and beeps. For both the Victron and Magnum inverters their power save feature needs to be disabled or you'll have constant repeated beeping.
In a conversion it makes sense to buy a old fashioned microwave. Two knobs. One for time and one for heat level. No need for pushbuttons or a clock. No power used when it is not cooking. I did find that a "600" watt microwave works with a 1000 watt inverter. My "600" watt microwave uses 950 watts of power.

Top Bottom