Recommended max speed In 4x4 high

Sunny&75

Does anyone know if driving on the highway in 4x4 high is a problem for the transfer case? I know 4x4 low shouldn’t be driven faster than 10mph, but not sure if there’s any restrictions for 4x4 high.
Thanks

DefyInertia

‘17 4x4 Moto Camping Van
With the NCV3 you can go way faster than 10 mph in low. It’s not a true low like a true 4x4. When I’m off-road going up and down grades I really never use 4hi as the van has to work way too hard. 4LO in the van, especially with weight on board, is a much better option for dirt road cruising. I use it for traversing forest roads between 20 and ~40 mph.

I would never go above ~10 or so in my Jeep’s 4LO.

As for 4hi in the van, I don’t believe MB places any restrictions on it as we are again not dealing with a real 4WD system. Everything is open.

someone with more specific knowledge and advice will no doubt chime in, but wanted to respond to your 4LO comment.

Sunny&75

Unfortunately, I have one 4x4 without a low option.
the reason I ask, we’ve been having this issue with a droning sound around the 1800-2200 rpm range(that disappears after I let off the gas pedal) that seems to have occurred after a newly rebuilt transmission(replaced torque converter & brain unit). Anyway, we took it over to Warner Vans in SLC, a MB Sprinter/Freightliner dealership and service shop, after swapping out the driveline to eliminate that, they now believe that the droning noise may be coming from either our transfer case or transmission. they said that there could be a bad bushing in the transfer case, maybe caused from driving the vehicle in 4x4 high at a higher speed. They want us to have them swap out the transfer case with a new one for diagnosis. @about $700. I said NO to that.
we are now working with the original transmission shop, and he is swapping out the torque converter to see if that stops the drone noise. This noise was not there prior to the tranny work they did.
In a earlier thread, I explained that we were having problems with slippage in “Drive”, and the code read that the TC was in the locked position. So we proceeded with rebuilding the tranny. When taken apart, the gearing and teeth looked great. So consequently, all that was done, was to replace the Torque converter and head/brain unit.
hopefully a new torque converter will fix this🤞🏽

Sunny&75

i read a previous thread that mentioned ”a droning noise at 2000-2300 rpm caused by leaf springs. Don’t think this is our issue based on that our noise started after tranny was rebuilt.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
The drivetrain in 4 high has no speed limitation other than safe for the vehicle and conditions, or by engine speed approaching redline. I also use 4 low almost always when on rough dirt roads and can easily achieve about 45 mph+ in higher transmission gears. Use it and have fun. You may need a little momentum of tires to get traction control to work, which is the same for any traction control system.

aksotar

I cruise at 65 in mine all the time in high range.. I leave it in 4wd all Winter
3 years now and I've never had to use low range and thats with lots of trails and water crossings in the Summer..

Outlookela

With the NCV3 you can go way faster than 10 mph in low. It’s not a true low like a true 4x4. When I’m off-road going up and down grades I really never use 4hi as the van has to work way too hard. 4LO in the van, especially with weight on board, is a much better option for dirt road cruising. I use it for traversing forest roads between 20 and ~40 mph.

I would never go above ~10 or so in my Jeep’s 4LO.

As for 4hi in the van, I don’t believe MB places any restrictions on it as we are again not dealing with a real 4WD system. Everything is open.

someone with more specific knowledge and advice will no doubt chime in, but wanted to respond to your 4LO comment.
I agree use 4 low when you feel the motor is labouring on steep grades etc. on forestry roads. If the tach says its revving high in high gear I will go back to regular 4WD.

DefyInertia

‘17 4x4 Moto Camping Van
I cruise at 65 in mine all the time in high range.. I leave it in 4wd all Winter
3 years now and I've never had to use low range and thats with lots of trails and water crossings in the Summer..
give it a shot...you might find that your van feels happier...it’s not an actual 4LO so using it on forest roads with steeper grades and rougher terrain is really the optimal use.

helps significantly with engine braking as well. I’m routinely downshifting into 3rd and 2nd, and rarely 1st, when on forest roads. I would burn up my brakes otherwise.

this is in a hot / dry summer climate with “spirited” driving.

Flagster

our '15 has droned in 4x4 high since new...I've never chased any of the "clunks", "drones", "whirrs", etc
90K miles later it drives like new...clunking droning and whirring down the road...

Top Bottom