4x4 centre diff lock installed???

Farfrumwork

I'd like love to see it. All attempts to even talk with Oberigner have failed (they don't sell to the US, and don't answer emails).

Get a locking rear diff while you're at it. Then tell us how you sourced them and how the install went.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
Allrad will take a Sprinter and install their 4wd system ($50k++) with optional front and rear diffs (@$5k each). But shipping a new Sprinter back to Europe after being assembled in US to have the system installed, and sent back to US, several months of time, and adding ~$60k to a vehicle that is worth ~$60k or less is likely a fiscal, rational and emotional pill too large to overcome other options. Just my opinion but an option nonetheless. Sadly, we don't really have any good vans or other mid-weight trucks with good four wheel drive capability without that enormous and non-functional hood that adds 4-5 feet of vehicle length. And the value in walkability from driving seats to camper is a tremendous asset I value every day. This about if you will really "need" all that extra four wheel drive capability for a mobile home. I have taken my Sprinter on quite challenging trails that most in very well modified trucks and SUVS think impossible for it to not get it stuck, and it never does. It's no Unimog but a four wheel drive Sprinter with low range and good tires can probably do almost anything one would rational want to travel on with mobile home.

VanIsle1975

2016 4x4 144 lowroof
, Ive sent an email to Oberigner, we will see if they reply....I have buddy in Sweden, wondering if I can get him to buy one and mail it to me....Im just trying to find out if its just a bolt on or I need to do some machining to get it on a stock 4x4 that Im about to buy....so hard to know, but I might love how the oem 4x4 works, just been reading ofcourss shitty reviews...good experiences arent shared as freely...

sailquik

VanIsle 1975,
Are you in the USA?
You T1N 4x4 would place you in some other country.
This is the NCV3 section of the forum, so perhaps you have a USA or CAN NCV3 Sprinter 4x4.
How is the center (or rear) differential lock going to work with ABS/ESP/CWA/TSA safety systems.
They all depend on having input from each wheel and the ability to apply power or braking to each
wheel individually.
Seems like you would have to disable all of the safety systems somehow to make a locking center/
rear/front differential work properly.
Roger

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I have actually received a reply from them, and that was a couple of years ago...
unless things have changed, you can't buy anything over the counter from them, you have to send your van to them to do the install..
there was an American Company (last year ?) that appeared to be trying to be the North American Rep but I haven't seen anything since then...

VanIsle1975

2016 4x4 144 lowroof
VanIsle 1975,
Are you in the USA?
You T1N 4x4 would place you in some other country.
This is the NCV3 section of the forum, so perhaps you have a USA or CAN NCV3 Sprinter 4x4.
How is the center (or rear) differential lock going to work with ABS/ESP/CWA/TSA safety systems.
They all depend on having input from each wheel and the ability to apply power or braking to each
wheel individually.
Seems like you would have to disable all of the safety systems somehow to make a locking center/
rear/front differential work properly.
Roger
Im on Vancouver Island BC, Im looking at buying an OEM NCV3 4x4...but with reviews of having issues Im wondering how to make a more traditional 4x4 rather than awd...Im no expert but I read it someone online but cant seem to find the article or remember where I read it...they replaced the open diff with a closed diff improving 4x4 capabilities....

Im no expect, not sure how it gets around all the safety n sensors....Im looking for information and knowledge on the subject...

VanIsle1975

2016 4x4 144 lowroof
I have actually received a reply from them, and that was a couple of years ago...
unless things have changed, you can't buy anything over the counter from them, you have to send your van to them to do the install..
there was an American Company (last year ?) that appeared to be trying to be the North American Rep but I haven't seen anything since then...
I googled them, found the usa ebsite but its basically a blank page....seems like someone is just reserving the webpage...

VanIsle1975

2016 4x4 144 lowroof
Allrad will take a Sprinter and install their 4wd system ($50k++) with optional front and rear diffs (@$5k each). But shipping a new Sprinter back to Europe after being assembled in US to have the system installed, and sent back to US, several months of time, and adding ~$60k to a vehicle that is worth ~$60k or less is likely a fiscal, rational and emotional pill too large to overcome other options. Just my opinion but an option nonetheless. Sadly, we don't really have any good vans or other mid-weight trucks with good four wheel drive capability without that enormous and non-functional hood that adds 4-5 feet of vehicle length. And the value in walkability from driving seats to camper is a tremendous asset I value every day. This about if you will really "need" all that extra four wheel drive capability for a mobile home. I have taken my Sprinter on quite challenging trails that most in very well modified trucks and SUVS think impossible for it to not get it stuck, and it never does. It's no Unimog but a four wheel drive Sprinter with low range and good tires can probably do almost anything one would rational want to travel on with mobile home.
I agree...my rwd has been great success, but Ive had limited road travels especially ascent logging roads....just need that little extra pull from front driveline to get to the top...when i first bought it, crappy tires very limited...i agree, best investment is good rubber...but i think with 4x4 capabilities along with a winch id feel pretty confident in the back country

VanIsle1975

2016 4x4 144 lowroof
Response to my email from Obrigner.......""We still deliver the components for the factory solution of Mercedes Benz. This is a swichable 4x4 without diff locks. We can not offer any other transfer cases"".....

Top Bottom