No start after Injector Copper washer change.

Grant650

I have changed the copper washer on the number two cylinder of my T1n. I bought the van in November with the seller telling me it is a five minute job to change and a common maintenance item. I only later heard of "The Black Death".
After changing that cylinder (six hours of cleaning, removing the injector and cleaning) I started to remove the number three injector. It won't budge. I decided to run the van up to temperature and loosen the locking bolt to pop it out. I plugged in the injector wires and tightened the fuel lines. After starting it I walked to the front and saw diesel fuel filling the cavity. I shut it off and found I had forgotten to attach the fuel line at the rail of the number three injector. I attached the line and attempted to start it the next day. No start. I tried and tried until the battery was low. I put the battery charger on and waited until the next day. I placed a torpedo heater under the van and heated it for two hours ( it is 30 degrees here). No start

Any ideas?

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I'm guessing when you disconnected the fuel line then air entered the fuel system and needs to be primed out
That or camshaft sensor got unplugged by accident.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
@Grant650 ,

What year is your Sprinter? You have never said in previous posts!

There are BIG differences in the way that 02 -03 T1N's behave compared to 04 on so you really need to say.

Keith.

2005 2.7 Liter Is there another choice in that year? I thought they all had the same engine.
Nope.

NAS aka NAFTA 2004 - 2006 means that you have an OM647 2.7L 5 cylinder engine. NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2003 T1N's have an OM612 2.7L 5 cylinder engine. For some things that makes a difference. Not to mention that T1N Sprinters in the Rest of World ROW Eg. - Euro models can have a 2.1L 4 cylinder engine among others.

vic

2005 @.7 liter How do I bleed the fuel? Fuel rail?
You have an in tank electric fuel pump.

Turn ignition key to position 2 for 30 seconds... turn key off, wait for click from under the dash (or about 10 seconds). Repeat 2 more times. The electric fuel pump will cycle and prime the fuel system.

vic

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
And the main reason I asked is another big difference between the OM612 and OM647 is that on an OM612 if you unplug any injector with the engine running it will stop immediately. On the OM647 it will carry on running on four cylinders. The latter makes trouble shooting by individual cylinder far easier.

Keith.

Grant650

Still no start after attempting bleeding with the key turned on then off. I think I well loosen the lines at the injectors to see fuel is getting to the top of injectors. I am also going to unplug and plug in the injector plugs. Should the yellow rubber seal stay in the plug or in the injector? Currently they are in the plug and it is hard to get the plug plugged on.

Grant650

Update, the yellow seals in the electric plugs to the injectors must have swelled from the cleaners I used. I removed the seals and was able to plug the wires to the injectors.
The engine then started.
I bought new wire plug ends from my dealer and wire removal tool from the internet.
Soon I'll put them on.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Swelling is common... sometimes they’ll shrink back. Sometimes... not.
Foil wrappers on the connectors and fuel fittings can help prevent contamination.

It may suffice (and be less risk?) to simply move the new rubber seals into your existing connectors, rather than attempt to unpin the old ones?

Glad you got it sorted,

-dave

Grant650

Swelling is common... sometimes they’ll shrink back. Sometimes... not.
Foil wrappers on the connectors and fuel fittings can help prevent contamination.

It may suffice (and be less risk?) to simply move the new rubber seals into your existing connectors, rather than attempt to unpin the old ones?

Glad you got it sorted,

-dave
Your probably right about moving the seals.
I did buy some nice little tools made to take pins out of plugs. I haven't done it yet but I work on a lot of things do the tools could be handy in the future also.

Grant650

I did this this a couple months ago and the seals ripped into pieces taking them out.
I do believe I'm losing connection on the injectors driving without the seals.
I purchased new seals and wires from my Sprinter dealer. I haven't gotten them put in yet because it's just getting warmed up outside and it's not priority.
I didn't ask for the new wires but they came with the order and I didn't turn them down.

Top Bottom