Any Architecture majors/ Builders here?

Onefin

These have their own roof and window .
You can see them in the upper left - sorry for the lousy picts! I should have taken a pict deeper from the inside.

View attachment 166105
I would suspect that there is an empty space there.
Poke a hole and the side and see what you have?

Having owned several older houses with steep roof pitches; I have found lots of little areas that the framers made 90 degree angles and small knee walls for no apparent purpose.
I always assumed it was to make it easy to drywall those areas.

Davydd

Simple. The intrusion of the wall into the room is because it supports the exterior wall protruding above the roof to form the window dormer. The space is illegal under the too low ceiling anyway to count as living space so it was closed in. Granted it is a weird construction as it appears the dormer on the left is different than the right. It could be because of construction on the level below. Loads have to go to the ground or a supporting beam across. Many dormer spaces like this can be used as storage similar to under enclosed stairwells. One thing is there is an electrical outlet there so there could be other wiring distribution that is hidden.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Thanks guys!

I think Ill hold off on the hole poking for now and build some storage for the indented spaces.

Davydd, the end or "right" Dormer is aligned with end of the room, so one is in the middle which accounts for the differences - my picts weren't great.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
When I remodeled this house, I found a triangular void behind this wall.
The roofline extends past what you can see, so there is more space than appears.
I ran ducting for a cooktop downdraft through here to an adjacent exterior wall and also used the cubby as a destination for all low voltage data and coax lines.
Set up to have a flatscreen mounted (recessed box) to the knee wall and had the cabinetmaker make a walnut door that matched all the other casework.
These are the only images I can find.
Nice crib sir,

I had imagined a small door to the space similar to what you have here, but after the feedback Im thinking the space ROI for the work isnt there in my crib, electrical in the way, vapor barriers, non linear usable space, where it looks like you've got a good chunk of usability.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
On book racks for the indents Varathane blew it - light walnut my A** - closer to redwood.

I think the mixer guy was hitting the pipe.

IMG_1188.jpeg

cbaarch

2016 Unity MB
the name of colours rarely has anything to do with perception of what one think it should be.
Always a good idea to do a sample first.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
the name of colours rarely has anything to do with perception of what one think it should be.
Always a good idea to do a sample first.
I looked their color swatch online and of course the can, but yeah my mistake.

Like animal house - you fuc#ed up.... you trusted us.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Bookshelf project is complete - in that any project ever is....
I got double depth magazine storage out of the dormer units.

IMG_1189.jpegIMG_1191.jpegIMG_1190.jpeg

Stewbie

Stewbie
Coffered ceilings. Most communities have real estate assessment boards/agencies/commission, etc. that count square footage for the tax base in the assessment. A coffered ceiling allows for a "bigger room feel" without all the taxed area because the floor area vs the useable floor area differs. Useable floor area typically has a 6'-8" high clearance. So that's your taxable area. You can walk around with a 6'-8" plumb bob and some tape to mark off where you get the clearance. Photograph it AND provide the area calculation for the record or an assessment appeal., Depending on the user's height will define how the area gets used. If mom or dad goes up there to make up a child's bed, you want to be careful about head clearances. Dressers, storage, media are typically put "under the coffered ceiling. [PS. If the angle is consistent and goes around 3 sections of the room/ceiling it's considered a "Tray Ceiling" (like the edges of a serving tray)]

Top Bottom