Loud Clanking from Motor - Brand New Sprinter!!

TomllmoT

That's for Ford & GMC pickups.
I have just spent in excess of $40,000 on shop equipment.
Here you can see a Challenger lift I have just shelled out for lifting these PU cabs.
But on a Sprinter just a simple cheapo engine crane to remove it
Dennis

Coming from a Ford, that’s all I know. Thanks for the clarification.

hoosierrun

A new engine will be put in, and if they put 2 more in, you got your lemon law claim. 3 repair attempts for the same problem is how most state lemon laws read... and it has to be done within 30 days. There may be an interim step at 15 days. Probably a certified letter to both the selling dealer and the manufacturer. It is a good idea to complete that step as a matter of protection. The interim step does not initiate a claim, it simply puts them on notice, essentially telling them to fix it or a claim will be filed. The State may require the interim step for a claim to be valid. Been there and done that. Montvale, NJ will get involved quickly if the interim paperwork gets filed, but for now, let the dealer do their work.

Tom Tint

Sorry to hear about your motor checking out. My 2020 has been the biggest pile of chit I have ever owned, and I'm at 100 plus vehicles in my time. It recently started a strange kicking/grinding at low rpm...may be there at high rpm and I just can't hear it while traveling. But I'm certain its internal to the motor. Im just going to drive it till it implodes and returns once again to the dealer. If I can give anyone advice on these vans..Run Forrest Run...they are garbage

lindenengineering

Thanks. I guess what I meant was any other parts that would have to be removed not related to the engine, that would need to come off to facilitate the swap. But I acknowledge that I don’t know the ins and outs of what needs to be removed and my concerns might be not merited.
The engine comes complete except for the alternator & A/C compressor. Its even pre-oiled, but we always drain it and refill with fresh MB oil before start up.
Its all just plug 'n play.
Dennis

TomllmoT

Sorry to hear about your motor checking out. My 2020 has been the biggest pile of chit I have ever owned, and I'm at 100 plus vehicles in my time. It recently started a strange kicking/grinding at low rpm...may be there at high rpm and I just can't hear it while traveling. But I'm certain its internal to the motor. Im just going to drive it till it implodes and returns once again to the dealer. If I can give anyone advice on these vans..Run Forrest Run...they are garbage
Wonderful. I was hoping this was a fluke. What motor do you have and what’s the climate where you live?

TomllmoT

The engine comes complete except for the alternator & A/C compressor. Its even pre-oiled, but we always drain it and refill with fresh MB oil before start up.
Its all just plug 'n play.
Dennis
So have you experienced the moisture build up in these motors that a couple of us have experienced?

Tom Tint

So have you experienced the moisture build up in these motors that a couple of us have experienced?
No idea what the issue with mine is..It just started making the noise. May be condensation..may be something else. I really don't care. Im just going to run it till it goes bang....Shouldnt be long. Im in the North East of the U.S.

Sprinter SS

TomTint...
At the rpm range you describe the intake flaps are in transition phase. When the intake is going from short runners to long there is a odd ocillation sound that is noticeable when the windspeed is low like at 30 to 40mph.

The OM642 engine is well vetted at this point and early failures are rare without abuse. I am not saying you have had a good experience but sometimes people make things more emotional than they should be...

brianzoh

Who makes these mystical rules about how 'emotional' someone should be for any given circumstance? Where can we reference this document so we all know how to respond to situations that doesn't disturb the delicate nature of some of you?

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
I too used to work for several BIG Euro truck and Bus makers. Warranty adjudication was a task I undertook quite frequently as "Technical".
So I will add some inescapable facts for you to ruminate over.
You, like any anyone in NA purchased the vehicles from a dealer and signed the documentation which contained clauses ,terms and conditions &, several paragraphs will be devoted to potential warranty claims . By signing that comprehensive document YOU AGREED TO BE BOUND by the terms and conditions. So too did the manufacturer, and the dealer who also counter signed the SAME document in the F& I office. This is a commercial legally biding document with two parties joined together on TERMS and CONDITIONS.
Emotional reactions to a failure issue I am sure are not included in that document.

Now I see Lemon Laws discussed in this thread diatribe.
Hanging like a sword of Damocles is this law, but it has to meet certain litmus tests, & so far as i see it every exculpatory clause is open to the dealer & manufacturer by installing a no quibble warranty support posture living up to the yes! Terms and Conditions.

As for installing a new engine who bloody well cares quite frankly!
At one stage during its assembly it didn't have an engine in it either ,so what's the difference? You and your emotional posture. Get over it.
Again the van will be no different than it was before the 'incident and i can assure you that engine/powerpack comes out in a few hours by removing grill, cooling pack & radiator support arr". Its a 12 hours job tops.

As for $65K. I have customers who have spent $350,000 for a truck and the engine has promptly failed.
It happens everyday across the world, no a reason to get into a flat spin, whirled like emotional state over a piece of bent iron called a consumer durable.
Dennis
Dennis , known issue with the intercooler , output end is too low, new updated intercooler needs to be installed as well.

Carl

lindenengineering

Dennis , known issue with the intercooler , output end is too low, new updated intercooler needs to be installed as well.

Carl
Carl
Thanks so far the info, & not much warranty news from my very good MB dealer support & their staff in Littleton Co.
Colorado being a dry semi arid climate we don't see too much condensation related issues .
But a bit of worthy info to be aware of, so many thanks & happy new year.
Dennis

Tom Tint

TomTint...
At the rpm range you describe the intake flaps are in transition phase. When the intake is going from short runners to long there is a odd ocillation sound that is noticeable when the windspeed is low like at 30 to 40mph.

The OM642 engine is well vetted at this point and early failures are rare without abuse. I am not saying you have had a good experience but sometimes people make things more emotional than they should be...
Thats cute

TomllmoT

Short update:
MB has been requesting additional photos and documentation from the dealership service department working on my vehicle. Today they have requested oil and fuel samples.

AR74

Has this been narrowed down to a condensation issue ? If so , what can be done to avoid condensation issues in these engines ?

TomllmoT

“From Mercedes point of view, they (as are we) are just trying to figure out what caused the issue. Since we did not have and conclusive evidence (failed part etc), we have to rely on Mercedes for approval.”
This is the message I received today when I inquired about why they are requesting a fuel and oil sample.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
I hope they've put your name on a motor and have it ready to ship. I understand their desire to investigate, but don't think it should delay you getting your vehicle fixed any more than necessary.

TomllmoT

I hope they've put your name on a motor and have it ready to ship. I understand their desire to investigate, but don't think it should delay you getting your vehicle fixed any more than necessary.
Thanks. I’m just hoping we aren’t going down the path of them pointing fingers back at me.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Back in the day (early 1970's), when VW in the US had something odd happen during the warranty period, they'd send the (apparently) faulty parts to one of their training centers (i toured one in Dexter or Nashua NH). There they'd do a deep forensics tear-down and analysis to see if the issue was something that needed to be corrected in the engineering, manufacture or installation (at the factory) of the parts involved. They really worked at nipping (and pro-actively solving) "issues" in the bud if they could.

The news that there's a different intercooler now available hints at similar work by MB

--dick

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Thanks. I’m just hoping we aren’t going down the path of them pointing fingers back at me.
I have been involved in a few serious root cause determinations. A good root cause analysis is not about pointing a finger, but about figuring out the failure chain. Having said that, the failure chain can lead to finger pointing. For example, if you were Mercedes, and the analysis shows that the fuel was directly responsible for the failure, you probably wouldn't be too keen on covering the replacement cost of the engine. Doesn't mean that the vehicle owner was responsible, but it would mean that you (Mercedes) were not responsible.

Uncertainty sucks, especially with the big $$ at stake, but no point in getting too restless until the results are in. With only 1,000 miles on the clock, the vehicle's internal fluids, wear items, filters, etc. were all from the factory and/or dealership so the prospect of the failure being ultimately attributed to owner negligence seem extremely remote unless you drove it through flood waters or otherwise acted extremely irresponsibly.

TomllmoT

Update: MB approved replacement parts (engine assembly) and are on the way (no ETA).

I asked what the actual diagnosis is and expressed my concern of a reoccurrence sinceI didn’t get the vibe that they knew exactly the cause. I got the following response:

The noise is being caused by a bent connecting rod, part of the main internal rotating assembly of the engine. This type of failure is caused by hydro lock either from engine oil, coolant, or in your case water. We found a large amount of water(ice) inside the intercooler, part of the air intake system. The engine air filter was dry, so we do not suspect water entered through the air intake system. At this point we have no idea how the water got in there, and my guys are very sharp. We may discover that as we perform the repair. This is the main reason why it took so long to get approval.

Top Bottom