RECALL: 2019-2020 MB/Freightliner Sprinter - Brake Caliper May Leak on Vehicles Equipped With Electric Parking Brake

sprint-err

December 21, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V802000
Brake Caliper May Leak
Air in the brake system can result in extended brake pedal travel, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V802000
Manufacturer Daimler Vans USA, LLC
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected 9,094
Summary
Daimler Vans USA, LLC (DVUSA) is recalling certain 2019-2020 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and Freightliner Sprinter vehicles equipped with electric parking brakes. The rear brake calipers may leak brake fluid into the housing of the electric parking brake connected to the rear axle service brake system, allowing air to enter the hydraulic brake system.
Remedy
DVUSA has not yet established a remedy. The recall is expected to begin January 25, 2021. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267. DVUSA's number for this recall is VS3BREPB.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
Thanks. I was just about to post this one up myself. :thumbup:

red_johnny

Just got this notice myself. I see it says that "DVUSA has not yet established a remedy" so what does that mean? What are they going to do when it goes in?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Just got this notice myself. I see it says that "DVUSA has not yet established a remedy" so what does that mean? What are they going to do when it goes in?
It means they have a design fault and so far do not have a fix. It will likely require a significant redesign of the calliper and subsequent retooling so could be a lengthy process. Watch this space...

Keith.

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
Remedy
DVUSA has not yet established a remedy. The recall is expected to begin January 25, 2021. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267. DVUSA's number for this recall is VS3BREPB.
Suggest giving them a call, referencing VS3BREPB?
If you have one of the affected units (run your VIN throught the DVUSA recalls checker), and there's been no evidence of soft brake pedal, or brake fade, or other symptoms of a braking problem, I'd probably wait for further instructions from Mother Benz. You could check the rear wheel hubs for signs of brake fluid drip/spray.

Top Bottom