2016 Rooftop AC leak

Hello,

My rooftop AC leaks rainwater from the outside and I wanted to share my frustrations/experience. I bought a 2016 Sprinter 144 Passenger van in mid-November (2020) from a MB dealership in St. George, Utah. I picked it up in SLC, Utah and drove it back to Washington. At the time the odometer was just shy of 50K miles and after driving it home I had exceeded 50K miles (no more factory warranty). The vehicle is certified preowned (CPO) and comes with a 12 month CPO warranty.

In mid-December I noticed rainwater coming in from the rooftop AC. The water was coming out of a removable vent panel where a cabin filter is located. I would describe the amount of water in terms of a few "cups" of water after a hard rain. I contacted the sales person I dealt with and they said that the leak should be covered under the CPO warranty and it should also be covered under an extended warranty associated with this rooftop AC unit. The sales person acknowledged that this leaking was a common problem and that is why it has extended coverage. Based on this statement I took my van to a local MB dealership with a separate Sprinter/Metris only service center. They told me that the extended warranty exists but that my Sprinter is not covered. They did not give me a reason why - all they know is that their computer system says that the CPO warranty does not cover this leak.

The statement from the sales person about warranty coverage is partly true and is associated with a lawsuit addressing leaky rooftop AC's on NCV3's made between 2007 and 2014. Here is a thread on the lawsuit: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/45771/

My van is not covered by this lawsuit presumably because it was filed in 2014 (before my van was built). As far as I can tell, my 2016 van has the same AC unit as the 2007-2014 model years and the location of the leak is the same.

The service writer told me that the leak is the same common leak that affects the early model years and that they keep "kits" in stock for warranty repairs. My quoted repair price was around $2600. Needless to say, I was frustrated and called the Mercedes Benz CAC (customer assistance center??). They told me that all they could do was provide $750 in financial assistance and the service center also gave me "discounts" which brought my quote down to $1200 dollars. This does not include the $190 dollar diagnostic fee.

I had reviewed a video where someone did a DIY fix of their leak roof and in hindsight I probably should have done that. But the timing of this leak, my temporary work schedule and input from my better half drove me to just pony up the money and have the service center accomplish a repair they had done many times before.

Their fix was to remove and replace the plastic evaporator pan and install a new seal. For those that are unfamiliar with the evaporator pan it is a large plastic pan that locates into the large hole in the roof for the AC unit. The pan has a flange with a seal that goes between it and the exterior of the roof. There is a rectangular frame on the inside that attaches to the pan with a lot of screws. The idea is that when the screws are tightened the pan and seal are pulled down against the outside of the roof. I think they also might have applied some kind of sealant in addition to a new seal during the repair. I say this because I have noticed some sealant residue on the new plastic evaporator pan. Applying sealant seems like a departure from an OEM specification because the old pan did not have any sealant on it.

When I got my van back I requested the old parts so that I could see for myself where the leak would have been coming from. The service writer told me that the leak was related to a warped evaporator pan. This did not make sense to me because the pan did not looked warped I could clearly see that the seal on the pan was out of place in at least two corners. This is consistent with testimonials I have heard about leaks coming from the corners. I am speculating that the seal might have been seated properly at one time, but shrank over the last 4 years because of the Utah heat.

After getting the van back I started on phase 1 of my van build-out which involved removing the headliner and of course the interior plastic AC ducting/cover. What I noticed is that the service center had reinstalled my AC with all of the original factory hardware. There are at least 2 torx head screws that were replaced with phillips head screws, one flanged spacer what was missing and a broken wire bundle retainer. I have informed the service center and they have ordered the correct hardware.

Today (January 2nd) I noticed a few drops or water coming from perimeter of the AC cutout where the pan comes through. It appears that the leak repair may not have worked. This is a few drops after a few rainy days and it has not had time to collect in the ducting since I have the headliner down. This repair comes with a two year warranty and I will be taking it back to the service center this week.

Questions:
1) Does anyone know of an effort (like another lawsuit) to get the 2015-2018 model years covered by the extended warranty?
2) Has anyone successfully worked with MB to get their repair paid for?
3) Has anyone had an success with simply tightening the screws common to the rectangular frame?

***Updated this thread with pictures of my old evaporator pan and out-of-place seal.

Buyer Beware Advice for 2015-2018 Sprinters:
1) A leaky rooftop AC unit is covered by a certified preowned (CPO) warranty.
2) Get a service writer to verify any warranty coverage claims made by a salesperson.

(Sidenote: I just installed my Maxxair vent two days ago and it is not leaking)

Attachments

Last edited:
Lots of rain here tonight in Seattle. I have noticed two additional leaks:

1) The emergency exit window that is opposite of the sliding door.
2) The frame rail just aft of the AC unit is serving as a drain path for some small leak. Perhaps there is a body seam just above this frame rail??

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I had roof AC leak on my 2015 bus, when I bought it a year ago.
Taking top covers off show that small foam gasket between upper part and van roof was folded.
If you ask me- that look like factory defect, but knowing my van spend its life in Hawaii and San Diego - I think previous owners learn to live with it.
Point is that small leak accumulate water in lower covers till you make hard turn and water comes on the sides straight on passengers heads.
In dry climates it doesn't happen very often, so factory defect can last undetected for years.
I took top cover apart and screws holding heat evaporator, but rear unit holding condenser had bolts heavy glued.
So without removing the condenser, I put some neoprene caulk on the top, put it back and before screws torqueing, I followed with 2nd application on caulk from the interior side.
We did not have heavy rains for last years, so can't have good confirmation the repair works, but looks good so far.

DefyInertia

‘17 4x4 Moto Camping Van
Mine leaked as well. It was the seal in the corners. I reinstalled it a couple times but the leaks always eventually came back. I eventually ripped the whole thing out and put a maxxair in its place...

goodluck

SprinterShuttle

I had the exact same thing. After lots of contemplating I decided to just silicon the perimeter of the "front" cover on top of the van. Never had leak since. I live in Seattle and it's been raining hard lately ?

I explain my philosophy for my fix...

Good luck!

Pete

adrianam

Hello,

My rooftop AC leaks rainwater from the outside and I wanted to share my frustrations/experience. I bought a 2016 Sprinter 144 Passenger van in mid-November (2020) from a MB dealership in St. George, Utah. I picked it up in SLC, Utah and drove it back to Washington. At the time the odometer was just shy of 50K miles and after driving it home I had exceeded 50K miles (no more factory warranty). The vehicle is certified preowned (CPO) and comes with a 12 month CPO warranty.

In mid-December I noticed rainwater coming in from the rooftop AC. The water was coming out of a removable vent panel where a cabin filter is located. I would describe the amount of water in terms of a few "cups" of water after a hard rain. I contacted the sales person I dealt with and they said that the leak should be covered under the CPO warranty and it should also be covered under an extended warranty associated with this rooftop AC unit. The sales person acknowledged that this leaking was a common problem and that is why it has extended coverage. Based on this statement I took my van to a local MB dealership with a separate Sprinter/Metris only service center. They told me that the extended warranty exists but that my Sprinter is not covered. They did not give me a reason why - all they know is that their computer system says that the CPO warranty does not cover this leak.

The statement from the sales person about warranty coverage is partly true and is associated with a lawsuit addressing leaky rooftop AC's on NCV3's made between 2007 and 2014. Here is a thread on the lawsuit: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/45771/

My van is not covered by this lawsuit presumably because it was filed in 2014 (before my van was built). As far as I can tell, my 2016 van has the same AC unit as the 2007-2014 model years and the location of the leak is the same.

The service writer told me that the leak is the same common leak that affects the early model years and that they keep "kits" in stock for warranty repairs. My quoted repair price was around $2600. Needless to say, I was frustrated and called the Mercedes Benz CAC (customer assistance center??). They told me that all they could do was provide $750 in financial assistance and the service center also gave me "discounts" which brought my quote down to $1200 dollars. This does not include the $190 dollar diagnostic fee.

I had reviewed a video where someone did a DIY fix of their leak roof and in hindsight I probably should have done that. But the timing of this leak, my temporary work schedule and input from my better half drove me to just pony up the money and have the service center accomplish a repair they had done many times before.

Their fix was to remove and replace the plastic evaporator pan and install a new seal. For those that are unfamiliar with the evaporator pan it is a large plastic pan that locates into the large hole in the roof for the AC unit. The pan has a flange with a seal that goes between it and the exterior of the roof. There is a rectangular frame on the inside that attaches to the pan with a lot of screws. The idea is that when the screws are tightened the pan and seal are pulled down against the outside of the roof. I think they also might have applied some kind of sealant in addition to a new seal during the repair. I say this because I have noticed some sealant residue on the new plastic evaporator pan. Applying sealant seems like a departure from an OEM specification because the old pan did not have any sealant on it.

When I got my van back I requested the old parts so that I could see for myself where the leak would have been coming from. The service writer told me that the leak was related to a warped evaporator pan. This did not make sense to me because the pan did not looked warped I could clearly see that the seal on the pan was out of place in at least two corners. This is consistent with testimonials I have heard about leaks coming from the corners. I am speculating that the seal might have been seated properly at one time, but shrank over the last 4 years because of the Utah heat.

After getting the van back I started on phase 1 of my van build-out which involved removing the headliner and of course the interior plastic AC ducting/cover. What I noticed is that the service center had reinstalled my AC with all of the original factory hardware. There are at least 2 torx head screws that were replaced with phillips head screws, one flanged spacer what was missing and a broken wire bundle retainer. I have informed the service center and they have ordered the correct hardware.

Today (January 2nd) I noticed a few drops or water coming from perimeter of the AC cutout where the pan comes through. It appears that the leak repair may not have worked. This is a few drops after a few rainy days and it has not had time to collect in the ducting since I have the headliner down. This repair comes with a two year warranty and I will be taking it back to the service center this week.

Questions:
1) Does anyone know of an effort (like another lawsuit) to get the 2015-2018 model years covered by the extended warranty?
3) Has anyone had an success with simply tightening the screws common to the rectangular frame?

***Updated this thread with pictures of my old evaporator pan and out-of-place seal.

2) Get a service writer to verify any warranty coverage claims made by a salesperson.

Hi there, we have the same exact issue with our 2016 Sprinter. As I type it sits in the dealership service department for the second time in less than 2 years. We were told they fixed the leak last time. We left it parked at PDX airport for 4 days and upon our return we found rain water everywhere. The seat had mold growing already. (Wish we had recorded the salesperson selling the warranty) Today they said warranty and the extended warranty doesn't cover this. Instead they offered we split the cost of the repair. If they fixed it the first time, the van wouldn't be there now. We too would like to see a lawsuit. Mercedes should have taken steps to prevent the same ongoing issue especially after the last lawsuit. What does it take for them to recall the faulty product? I emailed the attorney who was involved in that case, I hope to hear back. I plan to reach out to other attorneys and find out what can be done. Before we try fixing this on our own we will fight back. Thanks for putting it out. I thought it was just my van until I started searching.

Attachments

Knot4Knoting

Hi there, we have the same exact issue with our 2016 Sprinter. As I type it sits in the dealership service department for the second time in less than 2 years. We were told they fixed the leak last time. We left it parked at PDX airport for 4 days and upon our return we found rain water everywhere. The seat had mold growing already. (Wish we had recorded the salesperson selling the warranty) Today they said warranty and the extended warranty doesn't cover this. Instead they offered we split the cost of the repair. If they fixed it the first time, the van wouldn't be there now. We too would like to see a lawsuit. Mercedes should have taken steps to prevent the same ongoing issue especially after the last lawsuit. What does it take for them to recall the faulty product? I emailed the attorney who was involved in that case, I hope to hear back. I plan to reach out to other attorneys and find out what can be done. Before we try fixing this on our own we will fight back. Thanks for putting it out. I thought it was just my van until I started searching.
I've had this same issue on 4 out of 6 Sprinters (2014 & 2015 model years) and it has been a battle having MB Canada fix this to my satisfaction, so I've had to fix them out of pocket every time. I even pointed out the class action lawsuit in the US to MB Canada and they had the nerve to tell me, that was "another country", as if, the Sprinters sold in the US & Canada (2014-2015 and the 2008-2014 units, listed in the class action lawsuit), didn't all come from the same plant in Germany.

So, I would welcome a class action lawsuit, filed in both USA & Canada, and make Mercedes-Benz, pay serious money for these roof-mounted AC leaks. I have 4 Sprinters that have experienced these issues (and 1 Sprinter even leaked after the fix by a MB dealership and I had to get into a nasty scene at the dealership, to fight to get a credit for the repair, then took the van to a non-MB shop, to install a new seal that I purchased from MB - I eventually took 2 more 2015 units to the same non-MB dealership to replace seals as well, but 1 of them already had a post-fix leak).

If anyone needs support, for a class action, I'm game. MB needs to take ownership & responsibility and stand firmly behind their products, especially as these are work vehicles and it's an embarrassment having leaks in these expensive vehicles. MB needs a reckoning and public shaming and embarrassment, for what they're doing to Sprinter owners.

Much appreciated.

By the way, I own
1. 2x 2014 Sprinters (1 LWB & 1 SWB, both high roof, with roof-mounted ACs)
2. 4 x 2015 Sprinters (all SWB, 3 high roof, with roof-mounted ACs, but 1 is a low roof, no roof-mounted AC)
3. 1x 2016 Metris
4. 1x 2018 Metris

.... and that is what makes me so angry, that MB Canada & Mercedes-Benz generally, will not fix my vans, after spending so much money invested in their brand, but nickle & dime me, for issues that are obviously factory defects.

Grrr

Well....misery loves company.
Here is a brief update:
I requested the service history of my van from the dealership in Utah. This request was made through the service department and not the sales department and the response was great. The service writer was able to tell me that the roof top A/C had been in for the same leak twice prior to my ownership. The first time was in July 2018 and that was a warranty repair. But the second time was in November of 2019 and paid for privately. I got the repair summary.

This repair summary details that the foam seal/gasket was replaced and the photos you see above in my first post show you how well that seal was installed. But the most interesting detail of this repair was that it was paid for by the previous owner/lesser. The service writer in Utah was telling me that since that repair was accomplished less than two years ago and was paid for out of pocket then it should be covered by a two year parts and labor warranty (which has not expired). This got me really excited, but it was short lived. The dealership in Washington said they were not going to reimburse me and said I should contact the Utah dealership for that. The Utah dealership (or at least the service writer) said that the Washington dealership should know how to warranty a previous repair accomplished at another dealership. The CAC said they do not get involved in warranty claims and can only offer goodwill assistance, which they had already shelled out. So I have two dealerships pointing the finger at each other and MB customer service telling that it is not their problem. I finally got the CAC rep to agree to call and talk to the WA dealership to find out why they cannot make a warranty claim.

To slightly complicate matters, the WA dealership replaced the foam seal and the evaporator pan whereas the UT dealership only replaced the seal. They claim that the evaporator pan was warped and that is why the seal eventually leaks. I have the pan and it is not warped. Again, you can clearly see that the seal is not positioned properly. Why is this a complication? Well the WA dealership is making it seem like it is a different repair since the evaporator was found warped and replaced.

Oh yeah, by the way the latest repair here in Washington still leaked and I had to take it back for a second repair. Somewhere during all of this I installed a maxxair vent and that has not leaked yet.

adrianam

I just picked up my van. It was a rough fight to get them to fix it. They said the extended warranty doesn’t cover this issue. No surprise. I also told them I’d rather take the lawsuit route, maybe that made a difference. Like yours, mine has been in twice and I heavily leaned on that. They replaced parts, sealed and tested to make sure its not leaking. How long will this hold up? We’ll have to wait and see. Because it’s a ongoing issue for many no doubt a lawsuit will come around sooner or later. Thanks for your input it helps to hear from others.

Jarocpu

Hello,

Questions:

Hello,
I would like to respond on this thread because I have a similar situation. I have a 2015 MB sprinter passenger van 144. Bought it in Dec 2014. The roof leaked during a heavy rain in Dec 2016. Local MB repaired it that time, but started to leak again yesterday after a light rain. My question is similar - if we are covered by the class action lawsuit prior to that. Also, what action to take at current situation? MB is directing me to take to local dealership, but I am wondering if this type of issue is under warranty, which I think supposed to be. Thanks, Pete

Jarocpu

I had the exact same thing. After lots of contemplating I decided to just silicon the perimeter of the "front" cover on top of the van. Never had leak since. I live in Seattle and it's been raining hard lately ?

I explain my philosophy for my fix...

Good luck!

Pete
Thanks! for the Video

Knot4Knoting

Somewhere during all of this I installed a maxxair vent and that has not leaked yet.
Would you remember the specific model of the Maxxair replacement unit you installed on your Sprinter?

And would you also have photos of the finished Maxxair installation - just so, I can understand how it fits and looks?

Much appreciated.

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
Fwiw I too just noticed my 2016 is leaking quite badly. Like others I’m in a new environment where it actually rains so likely an old issue is now obvious.

In complete support of a recall / lawsuit. I’m not at all a litigious type, but the combination of poor workmanship + arrogance on MBs part really must be brought to light.

Love to add faulty front 4wd axles, driveshaft yokes, rear axle slop, micro rust spots in otherwise perfect paint, failing keyfob remotes…

lindenengineering

A lot of emotion in these posts but a few questions remain salient ?!
So why on earth did you buy a 4 year old van with a FACTORY installed roof A/C when they are known to leak?
A law suit was in motion on earlier vans. Wouldn't that be enough to give it the sign of Dracula?

Why did you give any credence to a DIY fix without further enquiry.
How did you know the pan arrangement wasn't warped, its largely obscured from casual glance?
The hardware they replaced, was it the same thread, dimension etc, to hold the arrangement properly in place, you didn't mention that !

Now a caution in any transaction! What sales people say & do to secure a sale is puffing unless its in writing.
Really the responsibility is YOURS on a 4 year old, van and a man in a black robe will tell you the same thing if given the chance.
As to your questions 1,2 &3 is a "Niet" !
This really boiled down its wear and tear with what I see is poor assembly observing your enclosed photos .
On a four month old van there would be sympathy with tale of "woe is me" but FOUR years old !!! --Come on that is stretching it a bit bloody far!

For info we fix quite a few of these and the quality/design of the unit is $chit quite frankly so extreme care has to be exercised to achieve a good seal to the roof .
It short its marginal,
In any case the latest seal is wider and thicker to accommodate warpage & roof panel distortion which leads to leaks.
To do the job effectively the whole system has to be evacuated and lifted out of the roof aperture where the surfaces are thoroughly cleaned with acetone .
With care it can be made to be sealed, but as I have posted before its akin to an appendage made by Daewoo--Day Who?
In short you will have to live with it but get it fixed properly to give it the best chance & not to leak and the repair tariff is about $1500.
Cost of owning a Sprinter van.
Dennis

KKrash

My 2017 AC seal succumbed to Utah heat in 2020 but my mileage was low and the dealer knew exactly what it was. I expect to be driving up to Dennis in 2023 unless the group is successful in getting factory coverage extended.

Is the new OEM seal thicker and wider? If so, when was that change?

98Firebird

My 2017 AC seal succumbed to Utah heat in 2020 but my mileage was low and the dealer knew exactly what it was. I expect to be driving up to Dennis in 2023 unless the group is successful in getting factory coverage extended.

Is the new OEM seal thicker and wider? If so, when was that change?
I've never actually checked it to be honest, all I can say is I've never done one twice if that means anything.

Same story, bought a 2016 low roof bus in September 2020. Back twice to dealer last fall and they R/R the unit twice as well as glopping sealant on the roof seam where it meets the edge on both sides just back of the unit. No charge and no leaks yet. BUT last month I pulled the head liner down to instal a rear roof fan and and discovered that some of the plastic plugs they put in the threaded holes for the roof rack were leaking and that the pinch weld seam for and aft was rusting on the interior . Not wanting to have a sardine can roof I super sealed the plugs and the complete seam front to back using Henry Tropi-cool crack sealant on the exterior.. I then I applied one coat of Henry Tropi-cool white silicone coating. Prep is very important, used scotch pad, detergent and water to thoroughly clean and scuff surface. The material is quite thick, like applying fast dry molasses . I used a 4" 3/4" nap roller to do about 2 sq feet at a time and and then tipped it off with a cheap brush because roller stipple was showing the black roof paint. You can't do a much bigger area at a time because it skins quickly. Not furniture grade finish but an even solid coat. It's a roof. Next day it was as if the roof was dipped in silicone rubber. Shiny and slick. The cured drips hanging from the mixing paddle were very strong and stretchy. Today is part sunny ( 1:30 pm ) and there is still water on the roof from last night's rainIMG_5078.jpegIMG_5165.jpeg. It is cool to the touch

Top Bottom