Another potential source of water in the driver’s footwell

M.A.T

In the process of addressing rust under the driver and passenger door threshold i noticed standing water in the driver’s threshold as well as in the footwell. I searched this site and found that potential sources of water in the driver’s footwell and threshold includes: bad sealing between the door gasket and van body, leak/hole at corner of windshield that allows water to run down the pillar into the footwell.

i checked both of these items and i dont believe these are the sources of water intrusion in my van. The van body has a very distinctly marked area all the way around the door where it makes good contact with the gasket. I removed the kick panel around the hood latch release and did not see any signs of water intrusion.

then i spotted 2 rubber plugs on the firewall just to the left of the brake pedal.

i pulled them both out and noticed that the bottom one was ripped. I also observed signs of water intrusion directly below the bottom plug. I believe this is the source of water in my footwell. I couldnt locate a similar rubber plug at ace hardware so i packed the plug with silicone sealant and reinstalled it. If you are also seeing water intrusion i recommend you check the plugs.

Attachments

Walker1271

2008 MWB 144" High Top
@M.A.T , thanks for this. Can't say I've ever checked the firewall gasket but will put it on my list. Have you checked you footwell drain channels to make sure they are not blocked?

M.A.T

@M.A.T , thanks for this. Can't say I've ever checked the firewall gasket but will put it on my list. Have you checked you footwell drain channels to make sure they are not blocked?
yes, checked the drains and they are clean and clear but because they are not located at the lowest point in the threshold so they dont prevent corrosion.

Top Bottom