Flatline Low Pro Roof Rack blended with a F65s Eagle Fiamma Awning

hdaniels

I figured out how to integrate a roof rack with the F65s Eagle awning. Everyone raves about the F65s Eagle Awning. I wanted to install this awning because it is powered and it does not need support legs when extended. The issue with mounting this awning is the support bracket goes the full width of the van, front to back, so you lose your ability to install a roof rack. I wanted to carry surfboards on top of my roof as well as solar panels. The boards will block the sun from the panels when I am driving but I am installing a second alternator as well. I will install 3 - 100 watt solar panels on my roof.

To accomplish this project, I purchased the Flatline Van Co Low Pro Roof Rack, FLVC Fiamma adapter kit, ¾” thick plastic cutting board, about 15 – 10MM M6-1.0 nuts and 15 – 40MM M6-1.0 bolts.

I had to put on and take off the awning mounting bracket three times to mock things up and figure out the placement but it all worked out and I am stoked in the end.

Attachments

Last edited:

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
Thanks for your write up. Do you have a picture with everything bolted in place. I did not see a picture above with all finished. I am considering doing the same with a Fiamma 65 eagle, and like the rack. Just want to be sure all worked out well for you.

Philip

hdaniels

Hi Philip,

I have three 100 watt panels that will go on top. I do not plan on installing them for sometime but I know everything is lined up correctly because I had one of the panels on the roof with me while doing the install. I would make one modification to my install. My cross bars are fixed because I bolted the low pro rack directly to the Fiamma Eagle bracket. If I would do it over again, instead of using 3/4 cutting board behind the Low Pro rack on the awning side, I would bolt the factory roof rack to the backside of the fiamma awning. You need a 3/4" gap between the fiamma bracket and the Low Pro roof rack to fit correctly. Next time I would bolt the factory roof rack to the back of the fiamma awning bracket so I could have more flexibility with install the low pro brackets. Take a look at baby shamu's install on the same awning. The factory roof rack I don't think is 3/4" thick so it will need to be furred out about a 1/4" to give you the 3/4" space.

Philip53

Ok, thanks. I just looked at the Baby Shamu setup. I like the way he did his, but I think the overall look would be better with the FLVC roof rack (albeit more expensive).

hdaniels

Agreed, I think the FLVC rack looks good, what I meant was on the passenger side, to bolt the factory roof rack on to the back of the fiamma bracket the same way Baby shamu did and then install the FLVC brackets to the factory rack but you will need to fur out the factory roof rack from the fiamma bracket about a 1/4" because the factory bracket is only about 1/2" thick. Few other pointers. The front bracket and rear bracket, need to be installed after the awning is put on so that you can put in place the backing plates that hold the awning in place. Also install the front fairing to the crossbar before installing the front cross bar. I will take some additional pics today and post.

Last edited:

Philip53

I got you. But I never saw where you said you had to reverse the FLVC 'foot mounting brackets' on the awning side to correctly align (with your spacer blocks), to the awning mount. That had me going, until I zoomed in on your photos and saw they were reversed. All in all, I believe it will be a really neat arrangement and will add some additional strength to the cantilevered awning by using the roof rack as additional support. I don't have any pieces in front of me, but I will probably also attach a few of the rack mounting feet on the awning side, through the roof, using proper backup on the underside of the roof sheet metal. This would insure that the awning and roof rack would act more like one installed unit on the roof.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
If you look closely at my awning install I used 1/2” aluminum spacers to make up the height difference between the passenger side mounted roof rail and my solar panel hinges. Having the factory roof rail mounted to the side of the awning bracket does give you the flexibility to change things easily.

B6CE5FAC-4E32-43E8-849F-D426511F3F6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Philip53

Thanks, both the OP and I like your remounting of the OEM roof rail to the back of the awning mount. I will be using a Solaria 400w panel up front, which is 47.4 inches wide. This is .4" wider than the Flat Line Van Co. Low Pro Roof rack. By reversing the brackets as the OP did, I'll have more clearance to mount it between the side rails of the roof rack. It may not be perfectly centered, but it will be darn close.

Thanks again to you and OP for taking the time to post informative and helpful info here. I can build/fabricate/weld/machine & otherwise make about anything, but when someone else has taken the time to do it first -- use their experience!!!

Philip53

hdaniels, now that you have already completed the modification to the roof rack (reversing and cutting out the mounting feet sections), would have the complete passenger roof rack side rail fit without cutting, only reversing? From the pics, it looks like it would.

Thanks

hdaniels

hdaniels, now that you have already completed the modification to the roof rack (reversing and cutting out the mounting feet sections), would have the complete passenger roof rack side rail fit without cutting, only reversing? From the pics, it looks like it would.

Thanks
I did not doing any cutting of the Low Profile roof rack to make this work. The Low Pro roof rack pieces I used on the passenger side are the fiamma awning kit from FLVC. I think you can save yourself the $$$ and just reverse the pieces on the passenger side. The cross bars are 47.5" wide so you should be good with your solar panel without any modification. Integrating the factory rack into this build will take it to the next level.

Philip53

Thanks, those individual mounting pieces (Fiamma kit), looked exactly like you had cut them out of the passenger side rack rail, cleaned them up and painted the cut edges. I think I NOW have the complete picture. Will be ordering all soon.

Philip53

Thanks Sano, that is what I had intended to do - use Hein's tower brackets. I do like the idea of a roof rack, mostly for future use, but it would also give me some additional support for the Fiamma cantilevered awning, and by deducting the cost of several pair of Hein's brackets from the roof rack costs, it makes the roof rack costs look a bit more palatable.

Philip53

Sano, what is the problem? The point of the OP's write up is to show a clever way to integrate the Fiamma Eagle awning with a roof rack. There are always cost considerations to be looked at. He did a great job with his rack and awning integration, and I appreciate it. The additional benefit to me is that where I had not before looked at a roof rack, by effectively reducing the price by not having to use those expensive tower brackets for my solar panel, and by introducing to me a lower priced roof rack that I had not thought was available, it was a win win. All around!

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Now if someone could come up with a clean looking aero cap for the end of the Fiamma Eagle mounting bracket. Possible 3D printer project.

Philip53

Lynn, I was thinking exactly the same thing. The one you made for Shamu looks better, and fits closer to the roof metal. I had planned on including their front cap with the roof rack order, but have decided to build my own. Will probably angle the front top edge of each of the side rails to match the angle of the aero cap as well.

hdaniels

I have had the same thought as well. An aero cap for the Eagle mounting bracket is needed. Everything else looks complete except the opened end of the awning bracket. Would love to see it happen!

hdaniels

If you install the Fiamma Eagle awning, definitely get the LED light from Fiamma. On the B post down low so it is easily accessible from standing outside the van, are my power awning button, awning LED light switch and the third switch is a LED light on the passengerIMG_9074.jpegIMG_9075.jpegIMG_9073.jpeg side rock panel.

Philip53

Yep, Led lights and easy, accessible controls are definitely worth the little extra expense and wiring trouble.

Top Bottom