battery switch

I am installing the Renogy DCC50S following the wireing instructions laid out by Onemanvan and Kiltym in the wireing ideas for house batteries post. I removed the rooftop A/C and I want to replace the Kissling relay with a manual switch to go from alternator power or power thru the converters to the Renogy charger. Does anyone have a switch recomendation ? thanks

thanks for the quick responses I think I wil use the Perko,,, the wire ? I've heard welding wire mentioned by some on you tube , and also the fuses? would you reccomend ANL type ? Renogy said use a 65 and a 75 amp . a source for those? thanks again

Kiltym

'05 Westy
Keep in mind you ideally want a 3 way switch. 1, 2, and off/none.

The perko is 4 way and I am unsure the implications of All and backfeeding of DC power into the convertors from the Sprinter battery. Perhaps someone knows if this is a concern or not.

And implications of bulk charging the start battery from the convertors (which might be helpful).

onemanvan

thanks for the quick responses I think I wil use the Perko,,, the wire ? I've heard welding wire mentioned by some on you tube , and also the fuses? would you reccomend ANL type ? Renogy said use a 65 and a 75 amp . a source for those? thanks again
Ancor marine grade wire is a good choice - I used 6awg but 4awg might be the better choice...

I used a Bussman circuit breaker close to the B2B charger

onemanvan

Keep in mind you ideally want a 3 way switch. 1, 2, and off/none.

The perko is 4 way and I am unsure the implications of All and backfeeding of DC power into the convertors from the Sprinter battery. Perhaps someone knows if this is a concern or not.

And implications of bulk charging the start battery from the convertors (which might be helpful).
I used this BEP 4 way switch so that I could charge the starter battery via the generator/converter in case the starter battery went flat
IMHO: It would be a poorly designed power supply that could not be safely connected to a battery...

Note:
The BEP switch can be rotated in such a way that you don't have to pass through the BOTH position when switching from BAT 1 to BAT 2
The downside is the quality of the BEP switch hasn't impressed me IE: the studs seem to get hotter than they should - poor switch contacts?
The potential downside of the Perko is you do have to pass through the BOTH position when switching from BAT 1 to BAT 2

Kiltym

'05 Westy
Blue Sea also makes a 4-way if that is desired. Non-issue with quality, but do have to modify the terminal holes on the existing wires.

I went with the Perko 8501 switch , I plan to connect the wire from the converters to the one position on switch and the wire from the sprinter battery to the 2 position and ignore the both position or at least pass thru the both position when not plugged in to shore power or when sprinter running. I picture the switch to be designed for wire from the Dcc50s to be connected to a switch terminal that when switch is on pos. one I'm connected to the converters and when on pos.2 I'm connected to the sprinter battery. am I on track ?

onemanvan

Most questions related to this topic have already been answered in this thread:

Details of wiring are always best expressed in schematic form:

AC-enable-relay (2).png

Top Bottom