Sprinter No Crank, No Start, Fan Blowing: ECU Repair

Skatefrench

Hey Everyone! First time posting here. I just purchased my first Sprinter two days ago, and already this forum has been a great help. We had it towed home. It came with the no crank, no start, fan blowing condition that has been discussed here several times.

Here's a video of my repair process. For me, the fuse block replacement didn't solve the problem- I had to resolder a pin on the ECU.

The previous owner had been working through the problem. He replaced the fuse block under the steering column, cleaned up battery connections, replaced the battery. He paid a shop to diagnose it, they just tested the battery, ignition switch, solenoid, relays, and basically confirmed that it was an ECU issue. Still no start.

First thing I did once I got it home was pull the ECU out... and there was quite a bit of corrosion on several of the connectors.
PXL_20201221_185228779.jpg

It's possible that the pins had already been cleaned and that what was left was just residue... I have to hope that's the case, cause I can't think of why else it would have been overlooked. I cleaned them with some vinegar and a tooth brush. But then I noticed what appeared to be a missing pin. (You can see that in my video)

It was a missing pin, in fact. So I cut the pin at the back, drilled the stub out, and replaced it with a donor pin I found in a plug in my garage. Reinstalled the ECU and it fired right up! You'll see how stoked we were in the video!

Paid $2000 for the van with 180k on the clock.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Further sleuthing required Mr Holmes.
Let's play Cluedo for the New Year. .
Investigate reason for water ingress onto the ECM.
Clue:-
Windshield /Windscreen sealing at the lower edge my dear Watson?
Dennis
Plastic triangular trim piece on A pillar in front of door mirror leaking through clip holes.

Keith.

Skatefrench

Further sleuthing required Mr Holmes.
Let's play Cluedo for the New Year. .
Investigate reason for water ingress onto the ECM.
Clue:-
Windshield /Windscreen sealing at the lower edge my dear Watson?
Dennis
You hit the nail on the head! Rust around the windscreen causing water ingress. Both on the top and bottom. Got the windscreen pulled and rust ground down, will be coating with Rustlok Primer. 👍👍 I have the ECU in the garage safe and dry until I get it all fixed. In the mean time, I've got the whole roof tarped. I have leaks at each roof seam as well, and around a vent fan poorly installed by the previous owner. Lots of work left to go on this van! But I'm having fun.

Here's the next video in the process:
https//youtu.be/8XksaLI9TIA

Not as exciting as the first. Still working on the next video with windshield removal. 🙂👍 Thanks for the support everyone!

Skatefrench

Just put together this video of the windshield process so far. Lots of rust! Yikes. But I feel better having fully exhumed the rust rather than knowing its silently there behind the windshield!

I decided to go with Rustlok primer. There's so many options out there for rust. I'd be open to hear any other opinions folks here have, but I'm currently planning on applying ospho to the remaining rust divots that I can't grind down, then applying rustlok primer (a water cured sealer with aluminum flakes), then topcoat with rustoleum oil based paint.

Top Bottom