Sound deadening on front doors, where?

The Arc

Looking to install some sound deadening mat on my front doors. I'm a bit confused if people remove this plastic part and put the mat behind that. Is it easy to reinstall the inner plastic cover? where else are you sticking the mat?

door.jpg

JohnnyYukon

Yeah, peel that back, stuff the door with sound insulation (without interfering with window operation) then you can stick that styrofoam bit back in place with the adhesive that is still on it.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Install the sound deadening material on the outer sheet metal but I would suggest installing the Thinsulate or other insulation on the backside of the plastic door panel. The compartment containing the window can see moisture, that is why there is a plastic shield and drain holes in the bottom. You also don’t want insulation caught up in the window mechanism.

5F7B9121-DFD0-4EDB-B214-82B06EE5C53C.jpegCD766531-7799-4614-9912-3E0E0CBCF0C8.jpeg

Last edited:

Sprinter man Sam

Egg crate or dimpled foam is better for cleaning up sound waves than thinsulate. I would put the thinsulate above the headliner to fill the cavity.

• Thanks
Reactions: JIB

filmcan99

How do you take off the outer plastic panel? I've removed all the screws and window/mirror controls, but there is something holding the panel near the center. Is it just a clip? I'm afraid to pull & break something. Someone please help. thanks

The Arc

How do you take off the outer plastic panel? I've removed all the screws and window/mirror controls, but there is something holding the panel near the center. Is it just a clip? I'm afraid to pull & break something. Someone please help. thanks
have you taken out the bottom hook style retainers? If so yes just pull it's a bit tough.

sanomechanic

Great photos. Sound proofing the doors is a huge improvement for reducing noise. Afterwards closing doors sound like a high end luxury car doors closing. That tinny sound is gone. Another important place to apply sound deadening is across the strut tops and across floorboards

Top Bottom