Storyteller Mode Vans

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Any Storyteller owners out there with any issues - or specific things they really like or dislike about thier van?
I’m eyeing them but not a fan of a few features and the very limited color choices (3?!)

psyco

Any Storyteller owners out there with any issues - or specific things they really like or dislike about thier van?
I’m eyeing them but not a fan of a few features and the very limited color choices (3?!)
What would you like to know about them ? I have one

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
What would you like to know about them ? I have one
Thanks for responding.
What year and model do you have?
First line of my post... any issues, likes, dislikes?
Things I’d like to know:
How about winterizing, and sleeping in sub freezing temps ?
3 things you wish were done different or upgraded etc?.
Other than limited color choice, one thing I’m not excited about with them is no MB extended warranty available.
I get why... doesn’t mean I have to like it though.
Thanks

Onefin

Thanks for responding.
What year and model do you have?
First line of my post... any issues, likes, dislikes?
Things I’d like to know:
How about winterizing, and sleeping in sub freezing temps ?
3 things you wish were done different or upgraded etc?.
Other than limited color choice, one thing I’m not excited about with them is no MB extended warranty available.
I get why... doesn’t mean I have to like it though.
Thanks

There is a very active Facebook group of storyteller owners called: Storyteller Overland Insiders & MODElifers

Pros:
Build quality
Name brand components vs “house brand” that other RV makers use,
Massive Volta Power system
Rear seat safety and functionality as a bed vs. Revel
Open floorplan by eliminating the enclosed bathroom.

Cons:
CRL T-vent windows
18” wheels instead of 17”
Fantastic fan versus Maxxair
No XM radio

The cons are all relatively easy to change, if it bothers someone enough.

You should absolutely be able to buy an extended MB warranty from any Mercedes dealer as that warranty is for the MB chassis, not the STO aspect of it.
You can purchase an ELW from MB at any point prior to the expiration of the factory coverage.
I would suggest reaching out to Michael Smith at MB of Birmingham to discuss the extended length warranty. He is the only STO dealer that is also a MB dealer.

You can get the van wrapped if the colors bother you. I think they look best in white and pebble grey.

STO=great company, great vans

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
There is a very active Facebook group of storyteller owners called: Storyteller Overland Insiders & MODElifers

Pros:
Build quality
Name brand components vs “house brand” that other RV makers use,
Massive Volta Power system
Rear seat safety and functionality as a bed vs. Revel
Open floorplan by eliminating the enclosed bathroom.

Cons:
CRL T-vent windows
18” wheels instead of 17”
Fantastic fan versus Maxxair
No XM radio

The cons are all relatively easy to change, if it bothers someone enough.

You should absolutely be able to buy an extended MB warranty from any Mercedes dealer as that warranty is for the MB chassis, not the STO aspect of it.
You can purchase an ELW from MB at any point prior to the expiration of the factory coverage.
I would suggest reaching out to Michael Smith at MB of Birmingham to discuss the extended length warranty. He is the only STO dealer that is also a MB dealer.

You can get the van wrapped if the colors bother you. I think they look best in white and pebble grey.

STO=great company, great vans
Thanks for your time and info. I'm aware of the facebook group but I’m not on facebook.
That makes sense about the warranty, though counter to what I understood from 2 different salestools.
Yes the build quality looks superior to other vans and the Volta system appears to be quite a setup. the 18” wheels are a poor choice imho. I agree about the layout, rear seat functionality and shower setup, but can see the advantage of the revel shower/toilet setup as well (I’d wager most women I know would prefer the privacy of the revel bathroom if given the choice).
Paying what I consider big money for such a rig and not being able to get the color I want seems unreasonable. And paying several thousand more to have it wrapped is not a great choice to me. Like adding insult to fiscal injury. The inside would still be white or “pebble gray” (which to me -and everyone else I’ve asked - looks tan, sand, beige, khaki etc).

Nothing wrong with the colors, just not for me if I’m dropping 170-200k for a vehicle, then more $$$$ changing out wheels tires, suspension upgrade and trinkets etc. I’d really like to see them offer the mode with just the factory MB wheels and tires and let buyers get thier own upgrade, or let customers select from 4 or 5 choices. Not that complicated. Take the order then order through Tire rack, Discount tire, or a local tire shop in Alabama.

Re the mode lounge, it looks like an ingenious system.... but maybe a bit inconvenient if your friend or your kid is sleeping on it and you have to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak? Beers happen. ? Though I’m more of a Mezcal man myself. ?

I also wonder about the STO choice of insulation, long term.

Any experience sleeping in the thing in cold/freezing temps? Like 5 to 40f.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
One of the things I wonder about on Storyteller vans is the heating system. Seems a bit complex with significant potential for problems, as well as maintenance. I may be missing something, but with such a robust electric and battery system, I’m thinking an electric heating system would be quite feasible. Advantages would be simplicity, less weight(?), lower cost, no leaks, no fuel consumption (unless you have to charge your batteries by running the engine), and next to zero maintenance.
And expanding the meager stock solar array would likely reduce the need for running the engine to charge the batteries on a significant number of days. Of course that depends on weather conditions.

Don’t get me wrong...
I’d like to have a STO Stealth or Beast Mode, the spend time going places and enjoying it paradigm is quite appealing vs slowly getting it together and spending tons of time working on it. Especially every time I spend another 100, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000+ on accessories etc for building my van.

Last edited:

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
an electric heating system would be quite feasible
Hi, a 2000BTU diesel heater is a good baseline... At constant output (sub-freezing with good insulation and a little ventilation for respiration/reduce condensation), you'd need about 600W of constant output from a resistive heater.
Let's call that 50A@12V since inverter inefficiency produces heat too.

50A for 9 hours parked would empty a 500Ah battery system (to 10% full).
And then you'd have to run the engine for hours to recharge.
Or hope a large 700W rooftop solar could get enough sun to catch up; but with short winter days, it wouldn't.

Hard to compete with the energy density of liquid fuels.

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Hi, a 2000BTU diesel heater is a good baseline... At constant output (sub-freezing with good insulation and a little ventilation for respiration/reduce condensation), you'd need about 600W of constant output from a resistive heater.
Let's call that 50A@12V since inverter inefficiency produces heat too.

50A for 9 hours parked would empty a 500Ah battery system (to 10% full).
And then you'd have to run the engine for hours to recharge.
Or hope a large 700W rooftop solar could get enough sun to catch up; but with short winter days, it wouldn't.

Hard to compete with the energy density of liquid fuels.
All good points.
2 things:
1) while it's certainly true short winter days would reduce available solar radiation and heat, and increase the need for heat, I’m thinking 9 hrs of running might be a bit much since the heating system would be on a thermostat.

2) And I believe the STO Volta system has 12kwh storage.

blutow

I did quite a bit of research before deciding to go the DIY route and I think the Storyteller is pretty unique in the market. The build quality and components are similar to many high end custom builds, but you get some efficiencies of scale with the volume they are producing. No offense to anyone who has a revel, but they still have a lot of legacy RV components and RV build quality. A story teller vs. a revel is like night and day build quality and component quality for the things I care about. Opinions vary, that's just my take on them.

I have a buddy who has a story teller and another friend with one on order. They both paid about $150k. That's a lot of $, but I'd argue it's pretty reasonable when you start comparing to high quality custom builds or looking at the cost of DIY + skill labor. If ST made a van with the layout I wanted (170 w/fixed bed and dedicated bike garage), I would have seriously considered it.

The downsides of the ST for me (besides the layout) -
not a fan of the wool insulation (not a deal killer)
I like a low key stealth/stock exterior, not trying to attract attention and thieves when left unattended
Only offered in 4wd (I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of the 4wd sprinter)

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I never realised that you’re unable to pick a colour from the MB paint sample book when ordering over there. It’s an interesting flick through, spotting fleet shades from all over Europe.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Storyteller owners:
how do you like the shower system?
Any issues with the curtain drying or mold mildew anywhere in the shower system/tub?
Splash issues on floor or ceiling?

marklg

Storyteller owners:
how do you like the shower system?
Any issues with the curtain drying or mold mildew anywhere in the shower system/tub?
Splash issues on floor or ceiling?
Is the shower curtain removable? Every shower curtain is going to eventually have hard water and /or mold. It has to be removable to be washed once in a while, and maybe even replaced.

Regards,

Mark

patchesj

No issues using at all. Awesome hot water. ;) Dries quickly. And yes, it is removable. The curtain lifts off the "halo".

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
No issues using at all. Awesome hot water. ;) Dries quickly. And yes, it is removable. The curtain lifts off the "halo".
Thanks. I figured the curtain would have to be removeable. wondering how well it drys if you use it in the morning, shake it a bit into it’s tub, put it away, do whatever you’re doing that day etc… then repeat for say 2 weeks at a time.

I would think it would need to be removed and dried thoroughly every few days or so, but just wondering actual STO owners experience since I’m considering ordering one.

patchesj

We turn ours inside out and the maxfan on high, curtain is dry in 20-30 minutes. The curtain is made of some rip stop nylon type material. water doesn't soak into it, it's just on the surface. Shakes off/dries well. Since the curtain easily pops off, you could probably shake it off outside and hang it up in the sun for 10 minutes if you wanted to be thorough.

marklg

We turn ours inside out and the maxfan on high, curtain is dry in 20-30 minutes. The curtain is made of some rip stop nylon type material. water doesn't soak into it, it's just on the surface. Shakes off/dries well. Since the curtain easily pops off, you could probably shake it off outside and hang it up in the sun for 10 minutes if you wanted to be thorough.
We have a curtain of similar material in a completely different setup though. In Arizona, it can go years without developing mold or mildew. In the northeast, a week and it smells, no matter what we do. So, it gets washed when we travel there.

Regards,

Mark

Top Bottom