New Baja Designs LP6 Pro light install

grinnelljd

I decided I'd like some more light for when I'm traveling off road at night and finally settled on a set of LP6 Pro lights by Baja Designs. I used a floating grill mounting bracket by Van Compass which attaches just behind the black front grill and provides two large metal mounting tabs that protrude through the grill to mount the lights.

I used the Baja Designs wiring harness which had more than enough length to accommodate installation of the lights on my NCV3 Sprinter. I mounted the relay in the engine bay, on the firewall, near the driver's side hood hinge. I ran the 12 volt power, ground and switch lines through the grommet in the firewall, exiting above the driver footwell. I did replace the provided DPDT toggle switch with a SPST on-off-on rocker switch. I purchased the switch and the 3D printed switch adapter, so the switch could fit in the OEM switch mount, from DIYVans. I used this rocker switch to allow selection of the low or high output from the LP6 lights and I used a second, yellow illuminated SPST rocker switch to allow me to switch off the yellow backlight on the LP6 lights. The yellow backlights makes for nice running lights, but when driving through a campground at night I wanted to be able to run as dark as possible. This step may have been overkill since the yellow backlights put out less light than the Sprinter daytime running lights that I can't turn off.

I've very happy with how the installation went. The floating grill mounting bracket by Van Compass proved to be dead simple to install. The only issue I had was that I had previously installed the horn upgrade by Agile Overland and the bracket for the horns is located in the same space as the center of the floating grill light mounting bracket. The holes on the two items very nearly lined up, but I did have to slightly widen the holes at the top of the Van Compass floating grill mount in order to use the same bolts to mount both it and the Agile Overland horns.

The light output of the Baja Design LP6 Pros is amazing. I opted for the Combo/Driving light pattern which throws a good amount of light down the road, but also provides plenty of side lighting near the front of the van. If I'm picking my way slowly down a trail I can simply use the low intensity setting which illuminates just the side LEDs and two front bottom LEDs that project through a dispersing lens to illuminate the area closer to the van. When on high mode the four front top LEDs are also engaged which projects light very far down the trail. Great for when you are on a trail which allows for higher driving speeds. I chose the yellow color light covers as the yellow light seems to help with providing more contrast in rain, snow or fog conditions. The cool thing is that the light covers on the LP6 are easily replaced should they become damaged or if you decide you'd rather have clear instead of the yellow I chose.

The one thing to note is that Baja Designs doesn't seem to sell an opaque light cover for any of their LP9/LP6/LP4 series lights. That means you'll probably have to fashion your own light covers if you are driving in a state that requires off road lights to be covered with opaque covers when driving on regular roads.

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
Any chance you could take some photos of the relay install? I need to hook up my off-road lights and will follow a similar process. I have never wired through a relay, its probably easier than I imagine though.

bajadesigns

I decided I'd like some more light for when I'm traveling off road at night and finally settled on a set of LP6 Pro lights by Baja Designs. I used a floating grill mounting bracket by Van Compass which attaches just behind the black front grill and provides two large metal mounting tabs that protrude through the grill to mount the lights.

I used the Baja Designs wiring harness which had more than enough length to accommodate installation of the lights on my NCV3 Sprinter. I mounted the relay in the engine bay, on the firewall, near the driver's side hood hinge. I ran the 12 volt power, ground and switch lines through the grommet in the firewall, exiting above the driver footwell. I did replace the provided DPDT toggle switch with a SPST on-off-on rocker switch. I purchased the switch and the 3D printed switch adapter, so the switch could fit in the OEM switch mount, from DIYVans. I used this rocker switch to allow selection of the low or high output from the LP6 lights and I used a second, yellow illuminated SPST rocker switch to allow me to switch off the yellow backlight on the LP6 lights. The yellow backlights makes for nice running lights, but when driving through a campground at night I wanted to be able to run as dark as possible. This step may have been overkill since the yellow backlights put out less light than the Sprinter daytime running lights that I can't turn off.

I've very happy with how the installation went. The floating grill mounting bracket by Van Compass proved to be dead simple to install. The only issue I had was that I had previously installed the horn upgrade by Agile Overland and the bracket for the horns is located in the same space as the center of the floating grill light mounting bracket. The holes on the two items very nearly lined up, but I did have to slightly widen the holes at the top of the Van Compass floating grill mount in order to use the same bolts to mount both it and the Agile Overland horns.

The light output of the Baja Design LP6 Pros is amazing. I opted for the Combo/Driving light pattern which throws a good amount of light down the road, but also provides plenty of side lighting near the front of the van. If I'm picking my way slowly down a trail I can simply use the low intensity setting which illuminates just the side LEDs and two front bottom LEDs that project through a dispersing lens to illuminate the area closer to the van. When on high mode the four front top LEDs are also engaged which projects light very far down the trail. Great for when you are on a trail which allows for higher driving speeds. I chose the yellow color light covers as the yellow light seems to help with providing more contrast in rain, snow or fog conditions. The cool thing is that the light covers on the LP6 are easily replaced should they become damaged or if you decide you'd rather have clear instead of the yellow I chose.

The one thing to note is that Baja Designs doesn't seem to sell an opaque light cover for any of their LP9/LP6/LP4 series lights. That means you'll probably have to fashion your own light covers if you are driving in a state that requires off road lights to be covered with opaque covers when driving on regular roads.
Nice setup!

I wanted to pop in to let you know that we plan to have LP Series Rock Guards in production and ready to ship by Spring 2021. We'll provide Black, Amber and likely Clear as well.

We just joined this forum after our alert system picked up your post/thread. Hoping that I can help answer any other lighting questions from here on out.

-Chris F

grinnelljd

Any chance you could take some photos of the relay install? I need to hook up my off-road lights and will follow a similar process. I have never wired through a relay, its probably easier than I imagine though.
Sure, I can do that, but I really just attached the provided relay from prepared Baja Designs wiring harness to my firewall in the engine bay. If you pull up the instructions for the LP6 Pro lights on the Baja Designs website it shows a circuit diagram of how the relay should be used.
Edit: Here is the link to their instructions: https://www.bajadesigns.com/images/LP9 LP6 Instructions.pdf

grinnelljd

Nice setup!

I wanted to pop in to let you know that we plan to have LP Series Rock Guards in production and ready to ship by Spring 2021. We'll provide Black, Amber and likely Clear as well.

We just joined this forum after our alert system picked up your post/thread. Hoping that I can help answer any other lighting questions from here on out.

-Chris F
Thanks. I appreciate that information.

Your customer service is great; I reached out with a question about substituting the rocker switch for the toggle switch provided with the wiring harness and my question was answered the very next business day. I can’t imagine ever having issues with your great lights, but it’s nice knowing that your support is there should I need it.

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
Yeah if you wouldnt mind taking a photo of the install. I cheked out the diagram and am still confused. I don't have the BD lights, I have 5 IPF lights on my roof rack. Im just hoping seeing a photo of the relay installed helps me understand them a bit more.

grinnelljd

Yeah if you wouldnt mind taking a photo of the install. I cheked out the diagram and am still confused. I don't have the BD lights, I have 5 IPF lights on my roof rack. Im just hoping seeing a photo of the relay installed helps me understand them a bit more.
Here's a couple of photos showing where my relay is mounted. I used an existing bolt that appears to have been in place to hold the sound insulation at the back of the engine bay. I slipped the tab of the relay over this existing bolt end and then secured it with a nut that I had that fit this bolt. You can see how the harness cables pass through the grommet in the firewall. The excess wiring running to the lights is spooled into a coil and secured with zip ties to the side of my engine bay.

If you were looking to see how the relay is wired I can't help with that as the wires in the Baja Designs wiring harness were already dressed with black sleeves and heat shrink. I'd refer you back to the link I provided above showing the relay wiring or check the web; there are a number of sites that show how a relay should be wired for off road lights. Here is a link to one:

bestrongsd

Nice setup!

-Chris F
Hey Chris @bajadesigns, do you happen to do installs and sales at your San Marcos headquarters. I'm in San Diego and look forward to supporting a local company. Cheers!

dkiefer

Great overview but I got stuck on how to wire the yellow wire from the wiring harness to the lights for the backlight function. I am assuming that you ran the switch internal along with the red and ground to the battery but do not know the location of connecting the yellow wire to the stock lights for backlight functionality. Thanks in advance!

bajadesigns

Hey Chris @bajadesigns, do you happen to do installs and sales at your San Marcos headquarters. I'm in San Diego and look forward to supporting a local company. Cheers!
Hello,

Unfortunately we no longer perform installs at the shop. I recommend Bent Motorsports in San Marcos, or ORW in Escondido for most wiring/lighting installs.

We do typically offer sales in the showroom, but Covid has put a bit of a damper on that. We are not really taking walk ins unless absolutely necessary. In addition, being that many of our lights are built to order, and we have longer than usual lead times, we are not really recommending walk in sales right now. If you order in advance, you can usually have a sales person set your order up for counterpickup.

For those outside of our local area, check out our dealer/installer locator. Certainly not an exhaustive list, but a peppering of some of our authorized dealers and installers - https://www.bajadesigns.com/home/dealer-locator.asp

Last edited:

MattDaddy805

2020 VS30 4x4
Anyone else who has installed the floating light mount from Vancompass experience the light beam vibrating/oscillating when driving? (not off road driving but paved streets) I installed the mount and the LP9's- great lights and mount is very simple. Problem I am having is when driving the light beam "bounces"- This "bouncing" makes me feel like the weight of the LP9's makes the bracket flex and then bounce back to its home position.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Buy the hammered bumper stable mounted on that
You mean hammerhead bumper?
SURE why not.... it’s only another 2450 plus tax and shipping and install if you don’t diy it.
Then you get to relocate your sensors have calibrated etc and hope all is well per the owl site. Of course you’ll want a winch and all the trimmings for that as well. 5 or 6k later your lights don’t bounce anymore. Looks cool tho and you have a winch now too.
????
OR, simply have a bracket mount you already paid for that doesn’t flex.?
I’m sure VC will be or is already working on a fix for that. They’re a solid company.

Don’t get me wrong - I’d LOVE to have a 50k shopping spree at Owl... and the Hammerhead bumper, winch, and goodies are just a few of the items that’d be in my cart. Ok 30k then.

Last edited:

MattDaddy805

2020 VS30 4x4
@Rocksnsalt -“I’m sure VC will be or is already working on a fix for that.”

Nope. I can share their responses to me but they basically said no one has ever told them about anything like this. And it must be my tires or a aftermarket suspension (which I don’t have) causing it.

So then I reply to their response with the video of me tapping on light and the amount of flex. And telling them I am not looking for a refund or anything, just wanted to make them aware and to see if they knew of any fixes they could recommend.

VC responds and I quote- “The front of the van is made of plastic, only so much we can do about it.”

I was very disappointed with how this was handled. I wanted to reply saying what does plastic have to do with it? But didn’t as it looks as if it is a waste of time.

I am good with this stuff and will come up with my own fix.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
@Rocksnsalt -“I’m sure VC will be or is already working on a fix for that.”

Nope. I can share their responses to me but they basically said no one has ever told them about anything like this. And it must be my tires or a aftermarket suspension (which I don’t have) causing it.

So then I reply to their response with the video of me tapping on light and the amount of flex. And telling them I am not looking for a refund or anything, just wanted to make them aware and to see if they knew of any fixes they could recommend.

VC responds and I quote- “The front of the van is made of plastic, only so much we can do about it.”

I was very disappointed with how this was handled. I wanted to reply saying what does plastic have to do with it? But didn’t as it looks as if it is a waste of time.

I am good with this stuff and will come up with my own fix.
That’s disappointing and surprising to hear. Please keep us posted on any new developments or your solution.
Thanks

dkiefer

I just bough the agile off-road dual position switch does anyone have any experience with replacing the stock switch from Baja and replacing it? I see 6 wires on the baja switch but don't know how to transition wiring from one switch to the other. I included a copy of the Agile wiring directions. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

Top Bottom