diesel particle filter 2007 and beyond

topless

Wichita, KS
I know some folks do this sort of thing. I am sorry for it.
Where we are, it just doesn't matter. The total population in the state of Kansas is just over 2 million and 1/2 of them are in the Kansas City area. The wind always blows and you can drive on 2 lane hiways for miles without seeing another vehicle.
Cattle feed lots make more pollution (methane and Co2) than people do here. Worse smells too. lol
This time of year, farmers and ranchers burn off their fields, the smoke is so dense it blots out the sun.

Arne

German Sprinter Owner
In the thread: "another reason-the wife",

i read, that you aren' t afraid about the DPF. Can you order the Sprinter without it ?
In germany it isn't possible. :thinking:
I'm looking for a solution to get it out, but the main problem is the "Differrenzdrucksensor" that means the sensor that takes the pressure before and behind the filter, to say him, when it has to be regeneratet.
In the fact of the Can-bus-system you cannnot replace him by a single "Widerstand".( sorry, i'm missing the real word in english), perhaps " resistance" ? :thinking: :D

Do you have a solution ?

Many greetings,

Arne

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I'm looking for a solution to get it out, but the main problem is the "Differrenzdrucksensor" that means the sensor that takes the pressure before and behind the filter, to say him, when it has to be regeneratet.
In the fact of the Can-bus-system you cannnot replace him by a single "Widerstand".( sorry, i'm missing the real word in english), perhaps " resistance" ? :thinking: :D
Hi Arne:

These differential sensors that take the pressure gradient before and after the filter...How many leads (wires) are coming off of each sensor?

If the pressure difference does not meet "spec" what causes the DPF to regenerate?

In these posts...

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4768&postcount=8
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4977&postcount=22

...I can only see the bung for the post filter pressure sensor. I cannot see the prefilter pressure sensor, nor can I guess at how the DPF regenerates itself.

Thanks,
Seek

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi seek
I know you asked Arne the question, and he may be able to help explaining it better than I can
But here is the V8 set up it's almost the same as the sprinter only difference is where the exhaust Gas reticulation line is connected, the same pipe is connected to the Diesel Sprinter nox DPF pipe.
the sensor is on the front of the exhaust pipe lead into the DPF no wires the unit has a metal piping case it leads towards the trans or it appears to hard to get under the vehicle unless it's up on jacks, but it also has a heat sensor going back into the head V^6pics which has sensor and exposed wiring looms leading back to the head, halfway it splints off towards the brain box.
The main sensor starts at the crank at start up, temps are fuel modified via the fuel cooler.
I did run a post on how it works somewhere I'll chase it up as I can;t quite remember how it did work, at this moment.
On the trans there is a also a sensor that helps to control the temperatures which sends a message to alter fuel supply volume
PS and the gas Sprinter will have the same dpf as the Diesel next year that will upset our friend
PS the nox sensor after the DPF is sealed by a clamp permanently it can't be removed.at least with Aussie Sprinters
mercedes-benz-CLS350-CGI-2006-12 (Large).jpg
Mercedes-Benz v6i (Large).jpg
Updating
It's not often I come to a stumbling block However I still have not been able to determine which PDF you have? I'm thinking it's an older system that has US EPA certification for Euro 3.
There is a common argument over how long will it last? and how often do they require a clean up as to the hours and millage on the unit.
I have the thought your US DPF is different in respect as to not having a main filtration exhaust behind the DPF.
Interesting the particular exhaust behind the unit is for city cycle no flame outs which explains the low rumble from our units these have a use by date as there is no recycling program for that exhaust
Two links
one is for EPC Euro 3 in the US even the Mercedes gets a mention it explains how the system and senors are configured as it's a US EPA script take it for Gospel.
mb dpf.jpg
2005_deer_syed.pdf (application/pdf Object)
md pdf1.jpg
Last link indicates if you take the time to read it, as to time frames of recycling depnding on fuel it will vary outside of Dodges information
and gas is no better lasting either.
ENVIRONMENT

Real Sprinters don't need Spark plugs

Last edited:
Richard,

I am not upset. Who knows? Future possible regulations of gas engines
might change my current opinions. But the political will to change things in
the US runs slowly. Who knows.

But the question i do have is will this gas particle filter be on 2008's
sprinter.

i was going to wait too see what happened on the gas/diesel 2007's
from current buyers before I made my final decision.

But if you know for sure i might change my plan

The only really disapointed person is the wife, when she found out
doktor A is not available.

gerry

Richard,

after i made the last post your picture came up of the exhaust system.
is that actually a catalytic converter with the adblue system

gerry

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Richard,

I am not upset. Who knows? Future possible regulations of gas engines
might change my current opinions. But the political will to change things in
the US runs slowly. Who knows...
True, along with the rest of our world:thumbdown:

But the question i do have is will this gas particle filter be on 2008's
sprinter..
Mid 2008-2009-2010 I'd say 2009 it is political and how serious the US gets, the balls in your court on this one but it will eventuate by other nations putting pressure on the states to comply...

I was going to wait too see what happened on the gas/diesel 2007's
from current buyers before I made my final decision......
I agree, personally I think the 2007 Sprinter is an orphan year for the model to mid 2008

But if you know for sure i might change my plan
I'm retired from the real world these days, But my bet is once the US accepts what is a world issue, Bluetec will hit sooner than expected, this system is not an issue with making weird and funny noises or smells, but getting the superstructures set up for it across the N/American sector takes time and money, as it does Diesel will become more readily available along with better quality fuels.
'Times a traveler' when it gets tough we all join as one, to save our planet,

The only really disapointed person is the wife, when she found out
doktor A is not available.
Ah'rrr Get the GW to turn on her charm , we all fall for the smile of a lovely lady, I do well in thought at least:smilewink:
When the time comes you'll make the decision that's right for you, do a little more outside study on the subject but think of the cost of rising fuel prices longer term , that may make you and your wife think! 'as to how much you need to on spend in the future;.
Richard

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Richard,

after i made the last post your picture came up of the exhaust system.
is that actually a catalytic converter with the adblue system

gerry
No gerry the above picture was for a standard euro 4 and 5 DPF Europe has had it as an option from 2003 standard after 2005
This link shows the bluetec system which is now in use in Europe and the UK
a few trucks down under are using it and one very lonely sprinter that was a special order as it weighed in at six tonne so the additive is topped up each time the fuel is added
06-07 Sprinter emission compliant - Sprinter-Forum
Richard

from the izusu(isuzu ? i can't spell it) website:

although the DPF is designed for long life ash build-up will occur
and require cleaning.

why can't daimlerchyrysler have the DPF cleaned instead of having to
replace. most sites i visit talk of about 100,000 miles for small trucks and vans
and 150,000 -200,000 for large truck dpf. why can large DPF be cleaned
and small not

gerry

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Jerry
Isuzu Depends on which year and model they have three of them as to similar with other manufactures
There are models with a maintainable filter trap, that stores the carbon waste Mercedes has one already on sale in The States on the E class Mercedes sedans in NY
Each time you go into a designated service schedule you are charged for the replacement pack the same applies to gas models,they do have a particulate exhaust too that can fail also the same as diesel ones, that are slowly coming on line, most gasoline models won't comply to emissions controls in 2008 unless these systems are added so you have one for a dry cell particulate self generating /cleaning particulate exhausts.
Urea based is a wet cell system that uses a replacement particle trap at the end of the exhaust.
And in reference to Isuzu
Again it depends on which year and model as to light medium and H/Duty
Isuzu has three patents on the filter system only, not the complete system to effectively make it fool proof.
1996 to 2005
Patents US:
Isuzu uses in part only a 1960 patented dry cell electrode for eliminating particle wastes by electric impulse via a sensor
This full patent has been locked down world wide since the mid sixties.
In principle it uses electrode terminals at either end of the catalytic convector where the sensor detects exhaust pressures that orders up the electrode burn off. You have three players as stated before each as different but as similar in principle, 2008 For gas will be a hard year for Gas models and 2009 will see the end of many known types of Autos in the US as to the technology of old platform based engines not being able to comply to the more stringent emission controls.
Gas engines have a particulate filter as well, these also require maintenance! as time goes by Time frame for life? depends on how the vehicle is maintained at the end of the day and to types of fuel placed in the system.
HONDA HAS ONE IT'S GOOD BUT AGAIN THERE IS NO LIFE TIME WARRANTY ON THEM AS TO OUTSIDE INFLUENCES WHICH CAN CAUSE UNITS. TO BECOME DEFECTIVE.
THE BIGGER THE TRANSPORT UNIT THE MORE EXPENSIVE THE SYSTEMS BECOME.
MERCEDES USES THE SCR SYSTEM
RICHARD
life span.jpg
ulsd pro.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom