diesel particle filter 2007 and beyond

thad71d7

bypassing the DPF on 07 Sprinter diesel

Sorry if I have missed something but I still have not figured out a way to bypass or remove the DPF. I have an 07 2500 Sprinter with the V6 diesel and am getting more and more upset every time I fill the stupid thing up. I am averaging 16.25 MPG give or take just a little bit. A buddy of mine has an 08 superduty ford that he was able to cut the DPF out of and he gained about 6 MPG, but the Sprinter system is totally different then that of Ford. I had an 04 Sprinter 4 CYL diesel that was getting 22 MPG with the same weight as the new 07, so I am HIGHLY dissapointed with the newer version. There has got to be some way to bypass the DPF on this and gain some fuel economy. I don't care what anyone says, if the extra fuel isn't being used to disentergrate the particulate in the DPF then you ARE saving fuel. I read one of the posts here and someone said something about the DPF adding 5 to 10 cents a gallon operating costs. Please someone tell me what you know. Thank you. I am willing to try it and will give the results, good or bad afterwards. Thad

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hey Thad! Did you knock off one of my sprinters in Washington or borrow one from the lower states with false Dealer plates?
There are no 4 cylider sprinters legally registered in the States as a Sprinter, they were never tested for EPA emission certification.

What I said was there is a cost of between 1-2 cents per gallon in decreased MPG as a result of the fitting of a DPF

The additional cost of up to five cents per gallon was the estimate from Fuel refineries to convert LSD to ULSD.

What the refineries did not do was add additional Additives to make up for the Cetane and lubricity loss which has resulted in a Sprinter showing lower MPG , but it varies between Summer and Winter fuel and as to Who's Diesel your using.? It's not all the same quality.

Remove the DPF and your a dead man Walking , Dang I sound like a stuck record, Thanks to MY Friend Jerry with his multiple threads all over the place on that Dam DPF:laughing:

Jerry I'm gonn'a throttle you on the 19th of DEC if I can find you!!! Just a joke mate.

Thad You also have this factor interfering with MPG you have speed limiters and the ECU is preset to a lower rpm
Can it be disengaged yes , Do you have the Code..No . and NO I will not give it to anyone.

You also need to have the tech to reprogram the the ECU command,with star diagnostics, and they do not have the code either. even if they did....I guarantee you those boys would do jail time if they were caught out. serious it's a felony to change the presets as to US Congressional Law that goes back to the early eighties.

V6 Automatic uses 5% more fuel than a manual transmission but we have sprinters 07 models clocking 25 MPG these are Mid Wheel based Standard Passenger vehicles not work horses, so these Sprinters will achieve a higher MPG ratio as opposed to a cab chassis unit either in the 2500 or 3500 series , never less they should do 18 19 20 MPG in an urban environment, but again it depends on the load your carrying.

It is more than likely the US V6 is detuned, the Dodge site specs are flawed as to specifications, so no one is quite sure where the V6 originated from ? so far no one has had the engine dyno tuned to see what it actually doing on the torque curves???.

May be you have it overloaded?
Richard

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Welcome Thad.

Firstly, how did you buddy remove the DPF out of the Ford? Did he just remove (cut it out and replace with straight pipe) and call it a day or did he do something to trick the computer?

AFAIK, there's a pressure sensor somewhere on the DPF. Maybe there's a before and after sensor. :idunno:Whether these sensors are smart sensors (communicates back to the ECU) or dummy sensors (like airbags) is what I'm interested in.

What have you found when trying to disconnect it?

Welcome Thad.

Firstly, how did you buddy remove the DPF out of the Ford? Did he just remove (cut it out and replace with straight pipe) and call it a day or did he do something to trick the computer?

AFAIK, there's a pressure sensor somewhere on the DPF. Maybe there's a before and after sensor. :idunno:Whether these sensors are smart sensors (communicates back to the ECU) or dummy sensors (like airbags) is what I'm interested in.

What have you found when trying to disconnect it?
Seek,
several forums for ford and chevy diesel pickups have
people who have rermoved dpf and re-flashed the codes
so the engine computer does not know its missing.

Also but more important- I AM AGAINST REMOVING THE DPF-
IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTIES AND ALSO PUT MORE
BAD EMISSIOIONS INTO THE AIR.

I've always said GET A GAS ENGINE! Do not remove dpf.

I hope my position is clear,

gerry:thumbup:

Top Bottom