[Video] How to change Engine Air filter 2002-2006 T1N Sprinter

Thanks for the video.

I've seen where the MAF electrical connector wires have had insulation damage and even broken wires right at the molded connector. I've wondered why they would be damaged. They normally just sit there alone and pretty.

I have always removed the MAF electrical connector for my filter changes. I think that your video gives a clue for the wire damage. In the video at about the 1:15 and 3:00 mark it appears that the MAF connector wires are jammed against the body metal and kinked a bit. I would recommend removing the MAF electrical connector for a filter change to avoid that happening.

It does look like your air filter may have been unseated and allowing dirty air to bypass. Did you inspect and clean the MAF plastic grid? When a proper filter is doing its job the MAF should be basically white glove clean, or at least not much dirt being present.

:2cents: vic

JoeyB

Thanks for the video.

I've seen where the MAF electrical connector wires have had insulation damage and even broken wires right at the molded connector. I've wondered why they would be damaged. They normally just sit there alone and pretty.

I have always removed the MAF electrical connector for my filter changes. I think that your video gives a clue for the wire damage. In the video at about the 1:15 and 3:00 mark it appears that the MAF connector wires are jammed against the body metal and kinked a bit. I would recommend removing the MAF electrical connector for a filter change to avoid that happening.

It does look like your air filter may have been unseated and allowing dirty air to bypass. Did you inspect and clean the MAF plastic grid? When a proper filter is doing its job the MAF should be basically white glove clean, or at least not much dirt being present.

:2cents: vic
Thanks for the input Vic! I wasn't aware the wiring would be so fragile, but it is pretty old at this point so not too surprised. I'll be sure to disconnect them next time around. When I'm on desktop I'll add an overlay to the video at those points to let everyone know.

I did inspect the plastic grid and it was dusty I wiped it down as good as I could and left it to dry. I read the worst damage from this would be to the turbo blades and stuff possibly getting into the oil. I haven't looked at my turbo yet but I have driven 7k or so miles since I changed the filter and have had 0 additional issues. I changed the oil shortly after with a Wix filter (not my choice but Linden said they were OK somewhere on the forums and the auto part store had em). My biggest change is I'm getting a few more mpg after replacing the filter

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Two thumbs up on the most important aspect of the job which you did! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Vacuum out the air box or blast it clean with a shop line.

Sadly laziness acts supreme, folk simply slip the filter in and out and forget the most important pats of the job --keep it all clean!
Good instructional video .:thumbup:
Dennis .

JoeyB

Two thumbs up on the most important aspect of the job which you did! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Vacuum out the air box or blast it clean with a shop line.

Sadly laziness acts supreme, folk simply slip the filter in and out and forget the most important pats of the job --keep it all clean!
Good instructional video .:thumbup:
Dennis .
Thanks Linden! Videos like this always have helped me work on my past cars, so thought I'd try to get the good angles/shots myself for everyone that has helped me learn here :)

NGoldsmith

So I am an idiot. Instead of removing the heat shield I removed the washer fluid tank. I did disconnect all the wires from both the washer tank and the air filter cover. I vacuumed out the box and removed the dead mouse. It had rained about 12 inches in the last two weeks here in VT. last night I drove 100 miles in a torrential downpour. hydro planing through massive puddles, wipers not keeping up with it etc.. My filter was pretty soggy. perhaps that is why my last tank sucked @ 21.9mpg ?

glasseye

So I am an idiot. Instead of removing the heat shield I removed the washer fluid tank. I did disconnect all the wires from both the washer tank and the air filter cover. I vacuumed out the box and removed the dead mouse. It had rained about 12 inches in the last two weeks here in VT. last night I drove 100 miles in a torrential downpour. hydro planing through massive puddles, wipers not keeping up with it etc.. My filter was pretty soggy. perhaps that is why my last tank sucked @ 21.9mpg ?
Excellent job on both accounts! Simultaneously wrenching and camera operating isn’t easy.

Lacking instruction, on my first filter change I pulled the washer reservoir, too. This approach seems better. Thanks for that.

I also experienced moderate difficulty effecting a good seal between the components on reassembly. You really have to pay attention.

Appalling to me that MB made such a crucial job so difficult and time consuming. Same with the fuel filter. :idunno:

Thanks again. :cheers: :bow:

Top Bottom