Using my T1N as a delivery van

mackconsult

Any one else using their van for delivery service? I see a lay off coming and need to be prepared to start using my van to make $.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Last month (I think) your family was in a car accident.... now you're talking about a lay off.... this is just not your winter....

Sprinter-Source member rlent hasn't been active in awhile, but he is an expediter, T1N style.

There are a number of Sprinter owners and regular contributors to the yahoo sprintervan group that use their vans for delivery.

I think there are a number of Sprinter owners contributing to http://www.expeditersonline.com/ too.

There's a bakery in Seattle that uses a fleet of T1Ns to deliver bread. Essential Baking, I think.... their bakery's next to the dump, but the bread doesn't taste bad.

-Jon

mackconsult

Thanks max. This is why I sold my tundra and bought this van. I figured worst comes to worst I can make $ with a van.

Robtarus

I use my sprinter (2006) for small package delivery.. I think this is the best of the best when it comes to deliveries.. I have put 287 K miles on it since 4/2007.. Good Luck one the lay off thing..

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
....This is why I sold my tundra and bought this van. I figured worst comes to worst I can make $ with a van.
Well that and you can't run WVO in a Tundra:smilewink:

How about ramping up some bio production for some income?

Also for deliveries, for what some of the stores charge, you could do alright lugging any number of items for people. Moving services perhaps too:hmmm:

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
Make sure to give size dimensions, superior fuel economy and show your Sprinter towering over a Ford van and you'll be getting all the calls. :cheers:

Good luck!

Mackconsult,
Jon Caples started a post "Surviving trying times" that may be of interest. At least it will show that you're not alone. I think there was a TV show(?) years ago that had a line "The names change, but the stories are the same." It applies with this too. Good luck. I'm certain you'll get through whatever comes. Hope this does some good. AP/vic

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5311

rlent

Sprinter-Source member rlent hasn't been active in awhile, but he is an expediter, T1N style.
Typically, the Pacific Northwest isn't considered to be a really great area for expedite (in terms of getting loads that originate in the area) This is both a downside and an upside - because the relatively scarcity of loads keeps some drivers from the east from being willing to take loads out there (so more opportunities for those that do)

To some extent it probably would have to do with what specific carrier you are leased onto, and the type of customer base or broker contacts they have in the area for freight. My guess is that there are probably a number of smaller players that service the area and you may be able to hook up with one of them.

Outside of that, in terms of the major players in the expedite industry, if I resided in that area I would probably contact Panther Expedited Services - from what I know they probably would be your best bet - I have several friends with them (in Sprinters) who run out there (from east of the Mississippi) periodically. Panther bought a West Coast Logistics company a few years ago, so they at least have some type of customer base. Generally, the way it works for my friends is that they take a load out to the west coast and then spend several weeks (or a month :smirk:) bouncing around out there before getting a load back east.

You could probably expect the majority of your runs to be on the coast (CA, OR, WA), as well as some trips to other places like NV, UT, ID, NM, CO, and AZ. If you can go to Canada, it's definitely plus - and you probably will get trips to places like Edmonton, AB and other such exotic places :smirk:

You might get an occasional opportunity to run further east - just be aware that the odds of getting a trip back home west in any kind of reasonable time frame are extremely low (the odds of you being in the right place at the right time are not real high) Expect to spend some time camped out in your vehicle waiting for them to score you a load - it's the nature of expedite anywhere, and probably more so out there (tho' maybe not) Panther does require a CDL.

If you consider doing this (expedite) you should spend a significant amount of time researching it, and reading the past couple years of posts on Expediters Online to inform yourself about the nature of the business. It is a business where it's possible to fail fairly easily, if you don't know what you are doing.

Top Bottom