Doktor A RSN Fix REVEALED!!!!

Rocketgurl

2005 2500 158 crew conv.
This site is amazing. We're half way through a month-long road trip in Squamish,BC and along came RSN. Probably not too bad of a case based on some comments here, but enough to give us a good case of concern.

Long story short, we found a Sprinter mechanic and kind of had to convince him to perform the DARF...

But low and behold, the RSN seems to be cured!

Thank you Doktor A for sharing your research! I'd sure like to kick in to s beer fund or something for you!

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Dr A has never been known to return gift cards sent to his business. You could just call him up and ask how he would like payment.

I very carefully and consistently check fuel mileage. I work as a machinist, and am sure I drilled the right size hole, .052", with no issues. My only thought is the previous owners transmission rebuild was done with 'Dodge'(Borg Warner?) parts and Chrysler oil, maybe requiring a smaller hole? Just a thought. Just before the mod, on a loaded freeway trip with 5,000 foot passes, I got 25+ mpg. Thanks

sassmatt72

2006 high top long, Fully converted by me
I’ve seen the OEM version of the RSN fix plate (as used in other transmission applications) & it has a nice chamfered edge to both sides of drilled hole. But mpg loss is not typically related to this fix, BUT it’s easy to get another plate and drill one size smaller. If you jack to van from drivers side only angle helps hold springs and pistons inside valve body. But I used a light wire to make sure valve pistons didn’t fall out.
Also very important to clean all the dark stains on valve body as that is typically metal dust that will build up on magnetic surfaces, many of them are on aluminum with a magnetic area below the surface.

I’ve seen the OEM version of the RSN fix plate (as used in other transmission applications) & it has a nice chamfered edge to both sides of drilled hole. But mpg loss is not typically related to this fix, BUT it’s easy to get another plate and drill one size smaller. If you jack to van from drivers side only angle helps hold springs and pistons inside valve body. But I used a light wire to make sure valve pistons didn’t fall out.
Also very important to clean all the dark stains on valve body as that is typically metal dust that will build up on magnetic surfaces, many of them are on aluminum with a magnetic area below the surface.
Plate not available separately at Dodge dealer, any suggestions, junkyard?

sassmatt72

2006 high top long, Fully converted by me
if Dr A says not to chamfer, then I'm just lucky. do it his way. it just seemed right to me in comparison to oem parts of this nature, from my own observation added to Dr A's fine work.

No. "RSN" = Rumble Strip Noise, which is a vibration from the drive train.

The resonator issue results in a turbo boost leak (no boost), which puts engine power to 30% of normal until it's fixed.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Dr A indicates the reduction is quite small. I would also like to point out the most mechanics did not follow dozens of vehicles like Dr. A did what he was evaluating this change. Most mechanics don't understand that the converter in the nag1 it electronically controlled and monitored, thus is not the same as a simple on off converter clutch used in a lot of earlier rubric domestic transmissions. Transmissions like that will slip more if you modify any part of the lock up control circuit.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Why is that most mechanics I poll say there is a loss in fuel economy if you do this?
Because it's true. I usually shy away from doing the RSN fix unless we've tried everything to get it to go away.
I personally have found it to decrease fuel economy, power and transmission responsiveness. Not by ALOT, but after having driven lots and lots of Sprinters for the last 10 years or so, I know what the transmission is -supposed- to feel like.
I find that 95% of the time all the transmission really needs to eliminate RSN is a good service and cleaning, including new filter and fluid.
Only after I do that and the owner still complains about RSN do I go ahead and drill the hole.

stujohns

I am a lab report kind of guy and been reading many stories and still yet can't find some direct answers. Please help if you can.
2003 T1N with a growing rumble strip issue.
Before attempting the .051 hole fix has anyone had success with the Blue trans fluid
that claims to solve this?
I cannot find out success stories nor can I find if the fluid is approved by MB.
Please offer brand and type of fluid if you know for sure.
My local autozone tells me that I can use their stock STP Multi vehicle trans fluid
after I drain.
Is that agreed?
After draining the TC removing pan and changing trans filter I am to refill with 8.14 quarts.
Is that agreed?
Thanks a lot you guys. I have 216K miles on my Sprinter that I would have never made without your generous input. I've enjoyed the slights and little insults too for being a newbie to the vehicle and the realm.
Helluva over complicated and mysterious vehicle.

Anybody try this stuff currently for sale on Amazon?
Lubegard 19610 Instant Shudder Fixx, 2 oz.
S

Last edited:

Top Bottom