Diesel heaters in campgrounds

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Con of my Espar is when it cycles on/off it does it constantly - it will reach the set temperature and turn off, only to come back on 1 minute later and then turn off a couple minutes after that. Really annoying, added with the fact the blower is located beneath my bed - the noise is bad inside and out.
That happens when you have thermostat too close to heating duct. Move the thermostat and check if you can adjust thermostat delta to higher setting.

borabora

Con of my Espar is when it cycles on/off it does it constantly - it will reach the set temperature and turn off, only to come back on 1 minute later and then turn off a couple minutes after that. Really annoying, added with the fact the blower is located beneath my bed - the noise is bad inside and out.
If it's option, try relocating your controller away from an outside wall. Otherwise consider building a contraption/box with some extra insulation that is mounted on the wall and onto which you mount the controller.
It could be that your controller is faulty but more likely it just cools down to quickly where it is currently located.

99sport

Warmfloor RV has a 12 volt version. It puts out 1/4 of the heat.

I have asked for information.
Makes sense since the power consumed is going to go with the voltage squared. Reducing an already fairly low power density by 4 is not helpful. If you were doing the floor, you'd want a native 24 volt system. However, if you only want to heat yourself and not the whole van, just get a DC-DC converter. For 10 sq ft of heating pad you'd be below 5 amps.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
@Graphite Dave, here's a 12V floor heating 'fabric':

I'm not sure this stuff can handle the flex of bedding.

Makes sense since the power consumed is going to go with the voltage squared. ...
I immediately thought the same thing. They are just offering their 24 volt unit to be used on 12 volts with no modification. The good news is that the resistance elements are likely going to last forever.

vic

Added:
"1/2 the voltage = 1/2 the heat." Nope. Doesn't work that way.
When trying to explain a 240 volt heater output when used on 120 volts I point out that there are two parameters being changed. With a fixed resistance applying 1/2 the voltage also reduces the current to half. "1/2 voltage is just 1/2 output." Changing two parameters (1/2 voltage resulting in 1/2 current) results in 1/4 of the heat.

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Using a heating pad in a cold van has advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages
1. silent
2. can use excess solar output
3. Refrigerator runs less so quieter and uses less power
4. Stealth
5. No maintenance
6. Less emissions (IMO)
7. No fuel used
8. Very inexpensive ($30)

Disadvantages
1. Works best for one person
2. It is cold in van for middle of night potty run
3. Balaclava required to keep head warm at lower temperatures
4. May require a cycling timer to reduce heat
5. Not as suitable as a diesel heater for real low temperatures
6. Would require house battery charging without sun

nzdave

Yes, I’ve had people comment. Do you have power available at the campground? I run my furnace on shore power and electric if I can plug in. It’s just easier, and much quieter. A small electric heater can be another option. Having said that, I am not typically plugged in. I have an Espar hydronic with the Rixen H20 system. Yes it can be loud. So much so that people have mentioned it to me. I’ve serviced it often, and recently rebuilt it, replaced the muffler with a newer one (best I could get), and put the intake muffler on (not sure that one did anything), made sure it was well dampened from vibration (including the fuel pump) to avoid any vibration. It made a small change, but the jet engine noise as it starts up to cycle can certainly seem loud to others. We all (owners) get used to it. I snow camp up at the ski area through the winter, and the overnight RV’s get packed in. There is a curfew for generators (the big noise makers), but it’s the middle of the night jet engine sound as it starts up, that people have mentioned to me. Keep in mind, I’m less than 3 feet from others at times (we pack in like sardines). Many have propane and they are fairly quiet. I’ve thought about putting the second muffler on as a secondary damper, but these things are designed to run with a maximum length exhaust. Mine turns out towards the rear tire, and I would not want it under the van at all! With the high altitude fuel pump, it still blows smoke on start up with the cold. Mine has been serviced many times and works as it should. It’s just the altitude and cold that pushes it a little more. So the answer is, yes they make noise. You’ve got to stand outside on a quiet still night at 1am to understand how it sounds to others who don’t expect it. In the morning as people stir, it can hardly be heard. And once the generators start in the morning! Obviously this is convenient camping, vs a scenic camp ground - so they have to deal with the noise.

MsNomer

We have the Electrowarmth bed warmer, but can’t sleep with it on all night. Even on the lowest setting, it gets too hot.

One time, because of the lay of the land, our site was positioned above the next site, our Webasto exhaust pointed that way, and there was a tent right there. Even though it was bitterly cold, we turned the Webasto off when we went to bed, which was a bit before the tent campers went to bed. The next morning, we apologized for leaving it on as long as we did. They gave us a blank look. "What heater?" Next time, we will ask if it is bothersome before we presumptively turn it off.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Mine turns out towards the rear tire, and I would not want it under the van at all! With the high altitude fuel pump, it still blows smoke on start up with the cold.
Factory heaters have exhaust pointed under the van, so being on driver side - the fumes go under side door. Nobody reported that as problem

Dave D

My Wallas XC Duo double burner stove/heater is essentially silent outside. Outside we have to hold our hands up to the exhaust to tell if it is even operating. I wish it was a little quieter inside though. It can put out a little diesel smell outside when starting up but seems to burn clean and pretty much odor free after that. I've had forced air diesel heaters in other vehicles and I could always hear them running outside. Note, I don't think the Wallas has quite the BTU output of a D2 or D5 though.

Top Bottom