Diesel heaters in campgrounds

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Interesting that people here are so concerned about air pollution because I run my emission equipped gas engine for 15 minutes in the morning. These people have no issue with running a dirty Espar all night long. Wonder which device causes more pollution?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Interesting that people here are so concerned about air pollution because I run my emission equipped gas engine for 15 minutes in the morning. These people have no issue with running a dirty Espar all night long. Wonder which device causes more pollution?
Your engine probably. Again, thanks for your amazing ability to make any thread about yourself, it's a fairly impressive skill.

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
I don't understand. My Espar emits perfumed unicorn farts and rainbows.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Your engine probably. Again, thanks for your amazing ability to make any thread about yourself, it's a fairly impressive skill.
Since you are a much better engineer than I am, What makes you believe running an Espar all night would produce less emissions than a gas engine that is run for 15 minutes. The 12 volt heating pad I use to stay warm all night is powered by excess solar capacity.

Derailed by a specific individual? Go back and review the posts. It was heading off track many times before any one particular person answered.

My opinion.
With subjective and nebulous topics most times the on topic and helpful discussion happens in the first page or 20 posts. If a thread meanders skim by what you consider off topic. Meandering doesn't prevent anyone from posting. This forum provides a bunch of technical information, but I wouldn't classify it as any type of strictly technical forum. We're mostly a bunch of Sprinter owners with various backgrounds and a few professionals sprinkled in.

Back to topic... and other things.

:cheers: vic

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Since you are a much better engineer than I am, What makes you believe running an Espar all night would produce less emissions than a gas engine that is run for 15 minutes. The 12 volt heating pad I use to stay warm all night is powered by excess solar capacity.
"Again, thanks Mr. 'My way or the highway' for your amazing ability to make any thread about yourself, it's a fairly impressive skill. "

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Please reread my post # 16 and explain to me how that post in any way was "My way or the highway". In no way did I suggest that it was the only method of staying warm. Thought the input might be useful for someone.

Seems more related to owning a Transit than about the subject matter.

FYI I was an engineer for General Foods in the 60's in San Leandro where one of the products manufactured was Kool-Aid. Have fun with that information. I am sure you can find someway to make that derogatory.

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
Hmmm, idling an engine is illegal? Strange that remote start has become so popular. I guess you are supposed to push the button to start it when you are only one step away? :doh:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Would you please share what insulation package you used or how you insulated it?
I used approximately 500 ft2 of Thinsulate insulation most of it the thicker 600 series in my van. Forum member Hein recommends about 300-400 ft2 for 170 vans but I doubled the insulation wherever possible including the lower walls and the ceiling over the cab. I added Thinsulate in every void including ceiling crossmembers, vertical window and door pillars, behind the step wells, and under the front floor mats. I used Poly Iso foam in the floor and my window covers and fan cover are all four season (Thinsulate) from xplroutfitters.com. Some additional details are included in my build thread.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Hmmm, idling an engine is illegal? Strange that remote start has become so popular. I guess you are supposed to push the button to start it when you are only one step away? :doh:
Hmmm, murdering a person is illegal? Strange that guns has become so popular.

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
If you're in for a dime you're in for a dollar and I don't see anybody here riding a horse.

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
Hmmm, murdering a person is illegal? Strange that guns has become so popular.
Yup, many people enjoy guns, idle their cars, and dont murder people. That is strange to you?

So you dont have a particulate filter or def system on that espar you brag about running (idling) over 10,000 hours? How many miles you have on your sprinter? Santa is listening, so no lying. When everyone around you thinks you are retarded, you probably are?

kfo

Could totally see someone having an issue with the noise. I put a muffler on the combustion air intake and it helped.

Makes sense this happened in Sheep Pass or JT in general-quiet place.

I wouldn’t stress about it. Consider a muffler on your combustion air intake. Once the d2 heats on high and drops to low, the noise drops a ton. Don’t overthink it-I use mine in Jumbo etc. Just try to run it early enough so that it shifts to low and purrs overnight.

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
Ok, we know it is approved. What quantity of emissions and type of emissions? Do they have the same standards as ICE vehicles and are they required to have smog checks? Lots of two stroke yard machines are legal, but emit tons of emissions that would be illegal for other machines. Um, were we talking about big rigs? Yeah, running an espar is a much better solution than idling a tractor trailer all night.

So how many miles do you "environmentalist" RV owners have on your Sprinters? Why wont you answer the question?

I love my espar and my remote start vehicle. Its still a free country, do what you want...and so will i. But please, try not to be such a hypocritical virtue signaler.

99sport

There's no way running an Espar all night is cleaner then idling a new gasoline engine for 15 minutes (especially if the catalytic converter is warm). My Espar uses almost a gallon of diesel overnight. Idling a gas engine for 15 minutes uses less than an ounce. The huge difference is the cat - because of the cat, the air coming out of a modern car with a gasoline engine, after the engine warms up, is cleaner than the air going into it in a major urban area. Smog from newer cars comes almost entirely at startup.

Here in CA EVERYTHING has a catalytic converter. Water heaters are about $100 more here, and you can't import one from a non smog area, because the ones sold here have a cat. My guess is CA figured having an Espar run all night is cleaner than having the existing truck fleet idle all night. As trucks get cleaner, I'd expect CA to eventually require a catalytic converter on Espars too, until, of course, they eventually ban them outright as they strive for zero fossil fuel use.

PS I can stand behind any new gasoline car and not smell anything. However, my Espar exhaust stinks like diesel fumes. You don't need an exhaust gas analyzer to tell my brand new Espar S2 (installed exactly to the Esapr specifications and with about 40 hours on it) isn't clean compared to a properly operating new car. I do love it though.

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
There's no way running an Espar all night is cleaner then idling a new gasoline engine for 15 minutes (especially if the catalytic converter is warm). My Espar uses almost a gallon of diesel overnight. Idling a gas engine for 15 minutes uses less than an ounce. The huge difference is the cat - because of the cat, the air coming out of a modern car with a gasoline engine, after the engine warms up, is cleaner than the air going into it in a major urban area. Smog from newer cars comes almost entirely at startup.

Here in CA EVERYTHING has a catalytic converter. Water heaters are about $100 more here, and you can't import one from a non smog area, because the ones sold here have a cat. My guess is CA figured having an Espar run all night is cleaner than having the existing truck fleet idle all night. As trucks get cleaner, I'd expect CA to eventually require a catalytic converter on Espars too, until, of course, they eventually ban them outright as they strive for zero fossil fuel use.
Are you saying that the BTU's made by idling a new gasoline engine for 15 minutes equals the BTU's of an Espar running all night?

Top Bottom