Dashboard Pockets with lids!!!!

2021_3500_LowRoof

@pixelworker the wheels on either side close them - my understanding is that it is fresh air from the base of the windshield - so speed dependent - not fan operated

@Roamers got the owners manual out
“Cooled air” is AC ? Or just grey cloudy typical German day kind of “cool” air ? Lol
Maybe ...

but it says no heat
These are fan operated and really are the most powerful vents in the van. I just tried them. Option H1i

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
These are fan operated and really are the most powerful vents in the van. I just tried them. Option H1i
Hi, are these worth getting for a planned RV conversion? No rear passengers, but if they help keep the cockpit cooler, and/or cool the rear a bit, might be useful?

2021_3500_LowRoof

Hi, are these worth getting for a planned RV conversion? No rear passengers, but if they help keep the cockpit cooler, and/or cool the rear a bit, might be useful?
I cannot speak from experience but I just ordered a 2021 with no rear AC. I will pretty much only have my son in a wheelchair in the 2nd row.
These vents were super strong when the fan was turned up and I could feel them bounce off the windshield. I was very cautious that I didn’t spend the 2700 on rear AC, but feel much better now that I looked at the passenger van dash versus the standard cargo van dash. Option H1i comes with charging area E1B and F50(cowl version?)
If it gets that bad I will do a 12/24 volt AC (advanced RV) that can take shore power. The one that comes with the van is useless to use as a camper

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
We do not shut them off during a/c season. That windshield is real big with sun coming through it and the air movement is nice. I don't actually know how it is with them off/closed though. In the winter, the wind chill from them is pretty bad so we close them (and the quiet is nice.)

Taylor Marine

We do not shut them off during a/c season. That windshield is real big with sun coming through it and the air movement is nice. I don't actually know how it is with them off/closed though. In the winter, the wind chill from them is pretty bad so we close them (and the quiet is nice.)
One of the first things I did when I got my van was window tint.... I did the drivers and passengers doors with Llumar Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 25 and I did the windshield with 50. What's nice is the UV rejection it provides.... No more sunblock needed on bright days. And all the naysayers who will poopoo the idea of tinting the windshield saying it's illegal and so on... Enjoy your sun visors. You really can't even tell there's a tint to it, it's there pretty much for the UV protection... Not to be "tinted out". Quite a few higher end vehicles have UV blocking windshields... Some of the new fancier Land Rovers even come with a factory tinted windshield.

Last edited:

w15p

2019 144 HR 4x4
My order got screwed up and so I've only installed the passenger side (the driver side should ship to me soon).

A couple notes on install.
  1. you need a right-angle torx - there is no clearance for a screwdriver style driver
  2. the clips are really tight - I got a little nervous with how much force I had to use
  3. I do have a slight alignment issue - not with the the part of the dash closest to the seats, but with the long panel that runs along the windshield. I had to pry that panel away with a trim tool in order for the lid to open without catching. I don't see any way to adjust that panel from either the tweeter housing area or the center speaker housing area - anyone know?
now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the original pockets and I'm thinking I might be able to build them into a console for the boys in the back seat - they have that nice "factory" look :)

steved57

Ordered the dashboard pockets w/ lids and the liners about week and half ago and rec'd them today
Hopefully try to install them tomorrow

Thanks Sprinter Sam

steved57

Ordered the dashboard pockets w/ lids and the liners about week and half ago and rec'd them today
Hopefully try to install them tomorrow

Thanks Sprinter Sam
So I installed these yesterday and it was very easy (thanks to you guys on here that posted some info - it is appreciated) and they look nice and much much better for their intended purpose

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
My order got screwed up and so I've only installed the passenger side (the driver side should ship to me soon).

A couple notes on install.
  1. you need a right-angle torx - there is no clearance for a screwdriver style driver
  2. the clips are really tight - I got a little nervous with how much force I had to use
  3. I do have a slight alignment issue - not with the the part of the dash closest to the seats, but with the long panel that runs along the windshield. I had to pry that panel away with a trim tool in order for the lid to open without catching. I don't see any way to adjust that panel from either the tweeter housing area or the center speaker housing area - anyone know?
now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the original pockets and I'm thinking I might be able to build them into a console for the boys in the back seat - they have that nice "factory" look :)
Then you'll want to switch them out for a console with lids ?. Maybe we can sell them back to the Mercedes Charleston plant for install in the new sprinters on the build line. I bet we can beet the suppliers price.

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
Are the liners worth getting? Are they just flat rubber? If I cut black rubber shelf liner to fit would that do the same thing? Did anyone who bought them have regret for paying $40 for what appears to be 2 pieces of rubber?

Ron_S

Did anyone who bought them have regret for paying $40 for what appears to be 2 pieces of rubber?
Yup! I was thinking the same thing but I went ahead and ordered them from my local dealer. I thought they might cover the whole interior and add extra protection. No, just the bottom with a very slight curve up the sides. I was really disappointed. I bet a couple coats of black "Flex Seal" spray (with careful masking) would be better. Or the rubberized drawer liners.

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
Yup! I was thinking the same thing but I went ahead and ordered them from my local dealer. I thought they might cover the whole interior and add extra protection. No, just the bottom with a very slight curve up the sides. I was really disappointed. I bet a couple coats of black "Flex Seal" spray (with careful masking) would be better. Or the rubberized drawer liners.
Could you take a few pics of what they look like? Also how thick is the rubber? 1-2mm?

sanomechanic

Put mine in today. Much cleaner looking dash. Those gaping holes were not attractive. I trimmed the existing rubber mats. Cutting off the lip where cup holders were molded in. Its totally acceptable, a tight fit and will keep things from rattling

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
Put mine in today. Much cleaner looking dash. Those gaping holes were not attractive. I trimmed the existing rubber mats. Cutting off the lip where cup holders were molded in. Its totally acceptable, a tight fit and will keep things from rattling
That sounds awesome! Would you mind taking a pic?

Ron_S

Could you take a few pics of what they look like? Also how thick is the rubber? 1-2mm?
My RV is in storage. However, I was going to suggest that it is just like the mats on the existing trays - just shaped a little differently. So I suggest that you take a look at the mats you already have. After the fact, I thought about just re-using them. But by then I already had the others I ordered.

Last edited:

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
Can some measure max length and width of the rubber inserts. I want to make a few and want to know what size rubber sheet I need.

Has anyone with a 2021 order been able to add the FJ5 option or do you have it shown on the build sheet under CO1 package? FJ5 is listed under the CO1 Driver's Convience Package on the MB website but my build sheet shows every option as show for CO1 except the FJ5 option. Dealer said they are not longer part of the CO1 and can not be ordered.

Top Bottom