No power to obd

Goran

Help me out guys. I stopped getting power to my obd2 plugin about a month ago. I checked the cigarette lighter fuse and it's fine. I checked every other fuse. Even took apart all the panels by the obd port and looked around there but the only thing there i think it's the sam or some other modules. No fuses. Read an article about canbus hacking and how you can make your own cool instrument panel on top of many other cool things so being the tinkerer i am ordered a canbus sniffer from sparkfun and a db9 cable that o modified to use just the pins i need but I had the wires loose where they weren't soldered just plugged in and not very well. Amd I know I was tired and late and 2 ofb the wires touched for a micro second. No sparks or anything but wasn't getting data either. I figured it was the wiring and I'll try again during the day. Never got around to it and about a week later I went to of în my obd that I just use to display my live data with some instrument clusters I made on my tablet and noticed that the obd2 wasn't powering on. Didn't work. So I've been trying to figure out what else could itbhe or where could the fuse be blown if its not bune 25 the one for the cigarette lighter. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to go to nercedes with my tail beaten my legs and ask for help. We have a love hate relationship because I hate then for the fact they want you and make it so , to go to them to change a damn bulb and get charged up the ass. Well but exactly a bulb but that's about the only thing you can change without needing special software.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
@Goran,

It would be very helpful to say what year/model of Sprinter you have in your post, but I note from recent posts you have a brand new 2020!

Seems like to need to slow down and take more time with what you are doing or this one may go the same way as the last!

Keith.

marklg

Knowing what I know about electronics, but not specifically about this system, you can damage things with just a static discharge from your finger, even if you did not short things out. I agree, slow down and take your time. Make up the appropriate connectors so this can't happen again.

Unfortunately, if the circuit is damaged, it will likely be an expensive box replacement. They don't replace components in an interface. It is possible they may just replace it under warranty as it is something they will check for any service. Nowadays, plugging into the obd2 port is the first thing they do when a vehicle comes in for service.

Regards,

Mark

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The OBD sockets can also suffer from "pin push-in" ... where the gadget you're plugging in pushes the receiving socket metal out the rear (wire side) of the connector. It may not go "all the way", but it's just far enough to lose contact.

Squinting very hard at the connector to see if one (or many) of the pins appear even slightly displaced inward can reveal the issue.
Reaching behind the socket and pushing the wires/contacts back into place can help, but the retention mechanism (a bend in the metal engaging a hole in the plastic) may be compromised enough that the next insertion pushes it back out-of-place again.

--dick

Goran

The OBD sockets can also suffer from "pin push-in" ... where the gadget you're plugging in pushes the receiving socket metal out the rear (wire side) of the connector. It may not go "all the way", but it's just far enough to lose contact.

Squinting very hard at the connector to see if one (or many) of the pins appear even slightly displaced inward can reveal the issue.
Reaching behind the socket and pushing the wires/contacts back into place can help, but the retention mechanism (a bend in the metal engaging a hole in the plastic) may be compromised enough that the next insertion pushes it back out-of-place again.

--dick
No I checked. I took out the panel where the obd slot is and inspected it and rechecked all the connections and I don't have power on wither pin 16 or 8 with ACC. What other place besides passager footwear and drivers seat holds fuses. Are there fuses under the drivers seat. I know there is relays but I never actually looked in there for fuses I just tapped in 3 slots for power so I never had business under the drivers seat.

Goran

@Goran,

It would be very helpful to say what year/model of Sprinter you have in your post, but I note from recent posts you have a brand new 2020!

Seems like to need to slow down and take more time with what you are doing or this one may go the same way as the last!

Keith.
Yeah sorry I thought I mentioned it. And yeah I'm just în rush because I have so little time to get my van work ready. Still need to install the diesel heater and I got 100 linear feet of thinsulate to insulate the van before I hit the road just haven't had time with all the other crao going wrong at my house. Had a water line bust underground and I got a 400 water bill. The city came to tell me after 3 weeks of using in a day what I used in a month. So I was supposed to start again last week but I can't go and sleep in my car without heat and insulation. Got 8 brand new cells of lifepo4 and ordered a bms from China and it should have been here in the next few days. Look today the asshole didn't even ship it yet but I paid 30 bucks for fast shipping. Just everything that can go wrong is going wrong. Ready for the year to be over. Learned a lot at 40 years old this year.

P.S. oh the last van getting totaled was not my fault. The asshole who's company I was driving for thought we got more money or a medal id we got to the drop off with our load early. I was going on 26 hours without sleep and pulled over before before new Mexico to sleep 4 hours. I had about another 30 hours I belive of driving to Florida with 40 hours to the appointment. So I could have taken two 4 hour naps and still made it. Amd as soon as I fel asleep he calls and starts batching why I stopped and why I'm only there. See he forgot what its like to be a driver and so tired you drive for hours but don't remember the road you took or how you got to your destination. So he pissed and moaned until i started driving again. And u made it another 5 hours and right at sunset body just gave out. I knew I was tired and couldn't keep my eyes open as md there was nothing I could do about but falling asleep. And another 5 minutes and j was going to pull over to sleep by wanted to exit the city and right as your exiting Albuquerque and start going up that incline is where my van met its doom. I'm just glad I didn't hurt anyone. If I hurt myself that's on me but if I would have hurt someone that honestly makes me tear up just thinking about it and how lucky I am that no one got hurt but even me.

Top Bottom