About to buy a 2020 4x4. Want to understand the quirks.

mpaine

I have a loaded ..$62800.00 MSRP cargo van, I have heard that other vans like crew or passenger vans are not as susceptible to the loud drone noise at 70 mph. Neither my 14 or 16 crew 144s did it.. My 2020 did until I put a factory MB crew van headliner in the back and then a padded and moulded carpet kit on the floor to kill it. Without those measures it was incredibly annoying to drive on the highway. The LKA is just flat out dangerous. It will jack on the brakes and cause the vehicle to jump back into a lane you may not want to be in. IMO, a person should be able to select LKA if they want it on..Not have to select they want to shut it off. Van is not listed here but if you want it, 55k gets you a 2200 mile Black 2020 with every option available.
Interested, where are you located? This is 4x4 I assume?

GRC

I read a lot of comments about the DEF system but don't quite understand the challenges. I understand that DEF is there to help reduce the emissions, but don't understand the problems down the road. Like, only 5 starts left. Deleting DEF, etc. Anyone with insight want to explain to me what's happening there?
The DEF is really not an issue just an added maintenance item. You can check the level periodically with the on board computer system and when you get to get to a certain level you get a warning. I recently had a long trip coming up and was close to the warning mark but not quite there. I just filled up anyway so I would not have to bother with it on my trip. The Blue DEF comes in 2.5 gal jug and that is about what it takes to fill up from the warning level.

Lots more information on DEF in this forum, most important is to wear gloves, eye protection and clean up any spills quickly as it is very, very corrosive.

apartment15

2020 4x4 crew 144
The DEF is really not an issue just an added maintenance item. You can check the level periodically with the on board computer system and when you get to get to a certain level you get a warning. I recently had a long trip coming up and was close to the warning mark but not quite there. I just filled up anyway so I would not have to bother with it on my trip. The Blue DEF comes in 2.5 gal jug and that is about what it takes to fill up from the warning level.

Lots more information on DEF in this forum, most important is to wear gloves, eye protection and clean up any spills quickly as it is very, very corrosive.
thanks for the notes about DEF. just starting to learn about it, so this info is valuable.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
DEF can be filled for pennies at truck stop, where automatic nozzle will prevent spilling.
Forum wisdom say don't wait for level to go low as that expose heater , who in cold weather can overheat and being part of the tank, comes with $3000 bill.

Bueller84

I'm also waiting on delivery of a 2020 170 4x4, so I really appreciate this thread. The dealer has been telling me "any day now" for the better part of a month. Patience, need more patience.

apartment15

2020 4x4 crew 144
DEF can be filled for pennies at truck stop, where automatic nozzle will prevent spilling.
Forum wisdom say don't wait for level to go low as that expose heater , who in cold weather can overheat and being part of the tank, comes with $3000 bill.
Excellent information. thanks for sharing.

Bjorgens

Picked up my 2020 170 4x4 crew van today and am generally pleased. Will take a bit to get accustomed to the drivetrain noise. I expect some of this will be masked when the Adwag kit is installed. It is a sizable vehicle, and this is coming from a guy who’s last was a GMC Sierra 3500 HD crew cab. Steering feel is gratifyingly solid. Brakes are more car-like than the truck. I can already tell that I will make suspension enhancements. Radio is as crappy as everyone has said. Seating position is commanding and comfortable for me as a 6’4” 200lb guy. MBUX is fine if not a little quirky. LED headlights seem adequate. I was happy that my van came in straight. I’ve seen some come in with warped rear body panels. I’m sure I’ll have more to consider as I get into it.

hilld

I was really impressed by the LED headlights, especially the auto high beams. I have LED lights in several other cars, and the Sprinter Van is by far the best of them. I just changed my rear shocks yesterday and wow, what a difference.

Bjorgens

> accustomed to the drivetrain noise
you'll probably laugh at this, but I now very much enjoy the "straight cut gears" hum the rig is making in 4x4
Oddly enough, it actually seems smoother to me when I put it in AWD mode. Leaving it there for now as the weather is crap in the PNW and it’s ski season - woohoo!

PictureMeFree

2019 170 ext 4x4
I was happy that my van came in straight. I’ve seen some come in with warped rear body panels.
What color did you get? The panel warping is most likely present in every model where there is a space for windows but where windows have not yet been installed. When the sun hits it right, you'll see it on all the vans in these areas, but more on darker colors. If you look more closely, you will see that the "warp" is just the metal in these areas coming together at reinforcement pieces. By looking inside the van at the sheet metal, you will see these pieces coming into contact with window reinforcement metal pieces, lateral reinforcement pieces, and rib pieces everywhere you see a "warp".

In some lighting, you will swear it's straight and flawless, in direct spotlight of rising morning sun hitting you broadside, you will look away in horror. lol

djsincla

I purchased a 2020 4x4 in September and added -
- Smart Floor / Three seats.
- Adventure Wagen internal insulation/panel kit / Monk/Moab beds /Maxair Fan.
- Aluminess Touring Roof Rack and side ladder + Awning
- Diesel Furnace for Heating
- Toyo Open Country AT/3's

This is my 4th Sprinter and my favorite. Need to tweak the front radio speaker. Practice engaging the 4x4 and low range. In winter conditions, I just leave 4x4 on.

djsincla

is there a reason other than convenience that you went with the Moab bedvs building one out of 80/20? weighing my bed options at the moment...
Yes - The Adventure Wagon Moab bed is designed to go at any level in the van. The van walls curve in towards the top so the Moab panels each include a mechanism to expand and contract the panel to adjust to the different width.

The Adventure Wagon body strengthening kit is the best part of their kit - The orange pieces you see in the pic...

Attachments

Last edited:

djsincla

Forgot to add, talk about new position of EIS makes it prone to condensation and the need to "bag it". I plan to adjust the position of mine this weekend.

Last edited:

Bjorgens

What color did you get? The panel warping is most likely present in every model where there is a space for windows but where windows have not yet been installed. When the sun hits it right, you'll see it on all the vans in these areas, but more on darker colors. If you look more closely, you will see that the "warp" is just the metal in these areas coming together at reinforcement pieces. By looking inside the van at the sheet metal, you will see these pieces coming into contact with window reinforcement metal pieces, lateral reinforcement pieces, and rib pieces everywhere you see a "warp".

In some lighting, you will swear it's straight and flawless, in direct spotlight of rising morning sun hitting you broadside, you will look away in horror. lol
Mine’s silver grey, and it really is pretty straight . I’m pretty OCD about such things, and any waviness isn’t enough to raise my hackles.

apartment15

2020 4x4 crew 144
I purchased a 2020 4x4 in September and added -
- Smart Floor / Three seats.
- Adventure Wagen internal insulation/panel kit / Monk/Moab beds /Maxair Fan.
- Aluminess Touring Roof Rack and side ladder + Awning
- Diesel Furnace for Heating
- Toyo Open Country AT/3's

This is my 4th Sprinter and my favorite. Need to tweak the front radio speaker. Practice engaging the 4x4 and low range. In winter conditions, I just leave 4x4 on.
Curious if you have any tips for running your van in the winter. Seem to be differing thoughts on how well the MB 4x4 handles in the snow. Do I need upgraded tires or are the stock ones fine. I'm used to driving a subaru and other cars in the snow. I am hoping to be using this van as a ski vehicle, so paved canyon roads which will cleanly have inclines, turns and sometimes covered in snow. Also, hoping to use it as a cabin get away, slightly steeper inclines on snow packed roads.

djsincla

Curious if you have any tips for running your van in the winter.
Standard tires on my older 2WD were average on snow but the ESP system did a great job keeping us safe. Chain use was common.

For the 4x4, I went ahead and updated to traction tires as traction tires or chains are a requirement in the areas I am driving. Around some of the ski resorts they have the "big signs" saying chains/traction tires, and now and then I have to deal with county "inspections" where they actually look at your vehicle/tires/chains before letting you proceed... I believe because of the many city drivers with 2WD / poor tires.

IMO, I would upgrade just for the additional safety and the cost of modern traction tires are not s huge difference from regular tires. I'm happy with my Toyo's.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom